Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
What color did you order? A darker felt will fade slighty over time and with wear. It is unlikely you would get satisfactory results with dye trying to get a lighter color.

Personally I think the Akubra dark brown looks fine.

mikieson

New in Town
What color did you order? A darker felt will fade slighty over time and with wear. It is unlikely you would get satisfactory results with dye trying to get a lighter color.

Personally I think the Akubra dark brown looks fine.
I got the dark brown. It looks nice...but its too dark to me, to be screen accurate INDY..

jbucklin

Practically Family
Still loving my Fed IV Deluxe! Dark brown looks good, no?

downsized_0114020819.jpg

downsized_0114020815.jpg

mikieson

New in Town
yea yours look good..but not Indy..his is way more brown in color. Mine is way dark brown..might have to water down some fabric paint and spray it on..lol...or use some colors or markers..:D

jbucklin

Practically Family
yea yours look good..but not Indy..his is way more brown in color. Mine is way dark brown..might have to water down some fabric paint and spray it on..lol...or use some colors or markers..:D

Hmmm, mine is the dark brown color. Cell phone pics aren't too great for accurate color reproduction. That's why I chose two different types of lighting. I think the only way for you to get an exact Indy copy is to have one custom made by John Penman. I'm considering one for myself. Pricey though, I'll warn you.

Kirk H.

One Too Many

I would not do that. I would wear it and and let nature i.e wind, rain, sun, etc take care of the rest. It will lighten up some.

jappa

New in Town
Hi everybody!

Just registered to this forum as it surfaces every time I am searching for information about hats and specifically about fedoras. So much to read... However, just wanted to ask for your opinion. I recently got enlightened and started to use fedoras as part of my outfit. Some seems to think it's ridiculous (one can see virtually none felt hats here in Finland) and some loves it. I like hats, so that settles it.

However, my question would concern creasing Federation IV hat I recently got from hatsdirect.com. I initially bashed it to look like Indiana Jones hat, but found myself not wearing it. Didn't look good on me. Then I re-bashed it with various styles some of which looked better and some of which looked worse. Finally I think I understood what made Fed IV to look not good on me: no taper. I understand taper is generally disliked here(?), but somehow mild taper does look so much better on my hats - of course that is only my opinion. Otherwise than taper, I love my Fed IV as it seems to be such piece of excelled quality with affordable price... I want to buy new hats with different colors and I would like them to be Fed IV's too.

Well, I then tried to re-bash Fed IV to gain some taper and succeeded by creating very deep center dent. That however creates problem because of my tall head. I then had to rise center of dent a bit essentially creating some kind of hybrid between teardrop(?) crease and center dent. I think it is a bit abuse and wanted to ask from you what you think about my bash:

fediv_2.jpg

fediv_3.jpg

fediv_4.jpg

fediv_1.jpg

What do you think, is center dent too deep or style some kind of Frankenstein's creation and should I re-bash everything and forget tapering? Deep center was only way I could introduce some taper I was after for... Of course, what do you think about last picture, does tapered hat look better on my face than hat with no taper? And if so, do you think I should go with some other model than Fed IV which would have some taper introduced in factory or should I buy more Fed IV's?

Thank you so much :)

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Hey Jappa, welcome to the Lounge.

I think your Fed IV looks good on you on that last photo, I wouldn't change a thing.

You are right when you say that a lot of the members here prefer straight crown hats, I certainly fit in that group.

If you want a more tapered crown for your next hat, check out the Akubra Stylemaster or one of the modern Stetsons - I bet one of those would work well for you. In the meantime, enjoy the Fed, your crease leeks great!!

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Hi everybody!

Just registered to this forum as it surfaces every time I am searching for information about hats and specifically about fedoras. So much to read... However, just wanted to ask for your opinion. I recently got enlightened and started to use fedoras as part of my outfit. Some seems to think it's ridiculous (one can see virtually none felt hats here in Finland) and some loves it. I like hats, so that settles it.

However, my question would concern creasing Federation IV hat I recently got from hatsdirect.com. I initially bashed it to look like Indiana Jones hat, but found myself not wearing it. Didn't look good on me. Then I re-bashed it with various styles some of which looked better and some of which looked worse. Finally I think I understood what made Fed IV to look not good on me: no taper. I understand taper is generally disliked here(?), but somehow mild taper does look so much better on my hats - of course that is only my opinion. Otherwise than taper, I love my Fed IV as it seems to be such piece of excelled quality with affordable price... I want to buy new hats with different colors and I would like them to be Fed IV's too.

Well, I then tried to re-bash Fed IV to gain some taper and succeeded by creating very deep center dent. That however creates problem because of my tall head. I then had to rise center of dent a bit essentially creating some kind of hybrid between teardrop(?) crease and center dent. I think it is a bit abuse and wanted to ask from you what you think about my bash:

fediv_2.jpg

fediv_3.jpg

fediv_4.jpg

fediv_1.jpg

What do you think, is center dent too deep or style some kind of Frankenstein's creation and should I re-bash everything and forget tapering? Deep center was only way I could introduce some taper I was after for... Of course, what do you think about last picture, does tapered hat look better on my face than hat with no taper? And if so, do you think I should go with some other model than Fed IV which would have some taper introduced in factory or should I buy more Fed IV's?

Thank you so much :)

Jappa, that looks great. Welcome to the Lounge.

amador

A-List Customer
Wellcome to the Lounge. I think your hat looks great Jappa. I'm with DJH. The hat and the coat are very nice together. Very well photographed bash on your Fed IV.
I have two, Black and Moonstone. Sometimes it's difficult to decide which one to wear. Love them both.

Last edited:

Insp. Bumstead

New in Town
Of course, what do you think about last picture, does tapered hat look better on my face than hat with no taper?

Jappa, the last picture looks good, i wouldn't change it. I have this theory that fedoras look good on people when the taper continues the lines of the face. You have kind of a long oval-shaped face so the slight taper looks good on you.

G MAN

One of the Regulars
jappa, you did a good job bashing that hat, It looks good on you.
It's not possible for one hat to look good on everyone right out of the box. That is why I like these hats, you can bash them the way you like until you find what looks good on you.

Last edited:

mikieson

New in Town
I guess there are those who really want to emulate Indy(or at least his hat) as close as possible.
that would be me..Im not a hat guy. BUT if im going to have a hat the only option is an INDY style hat. That is the 1st hat I fell in love with and that is the ONLY one that I consider right..AND im thinking now of maybe getting mine airbrushed INDY BROWN ,as thats a nice light spray that wont mess the felt up..UNLESS anyone has other options? I know it can be done, its just a matter of doing it..

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Airbrushed?!?!? With what? Honestly, if you were that distraught over the color you should have returned it and found a hat which suits your needs better.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
...BUT if im going to have a hat the only option is an INDY style hat.

If you need an Indy hat, why not get one from John Penman or one of the other people that make them.

I think David Garrison might still have his $175 special offer going on. I have one, even though I've never seen an Indiana Jones film - it's a great hat.

Quite a lot of the Indy fans are happy with the brown Fed IV though - there are a ton of pics and comments over at the COW Indy Gear forum.

mikieson

New in Town
If you need an Indy hat, why not get one from John Penman or one of the other people that make them.

I think David Garrison might still have his $175 special offer going on. I have one, even though I've never seen an Indiana Jones film - it's a great hat.

Quite a lot of the Indy fans are happy with the brown Fed IV though - there are a ton of pics and comments over at the COW Indy Gear forum.
You have NEVER seen an Indiana Jones movie? I have never known anyone ever, to have NOT seen them..WOW...thats as crazy as me wanting to airbrush my Fed IV..LOL..:)
Im not going to do anything to my Fed..I'll just wear it as is..UNLESS someone here says "send it to me I dye hats all the time and I can turn it nice and brown"...that would be the only way. I see people mentioning Penman hats but in my search for INDY styled hats he was too expensive for me. I mean, the Feb IV is 150$ s/h delivered to the door..Penman is 300+++...Are his hats any better? I dont know...might be, but I cant swing that kind of money. And that site you LINKED me to isnt working..And I cant order anything else anyways because my FUN money is tapped out this year now..Just bought a bunch of things from TODDS, my Fed IV and some shoes off Ebay all in the past 2 weeks..:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24