Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I love the Fed IV!!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
My Fed IV appears to have a taper in open crown state...it looks different to me compared to other pics on this site. What do you guys think? The lettering on the sweat band says "FEDERATION" ! Did I get an older model? If so, Hats direct screwed me!

View attachment 16197

I think it's because the crown took on the shape of the balloon you used to re-block it.

carranty

One of the Regulars
My Fed IV appears to have a taper in open crown state...it looks different to me compared to other pics on this site. What do you guys think? The lettering on the sweat band says "FEDERATION" ! Did I get an older model? If so, Hats direct screwed me!

View attachment 16197

Didn't you say the hat is four years old? Any hat will develop taper over that time period. Also, you may have a long oval shaped head, if so, as the hat adjusts to your head shape, it will develop a bit of front to back taper.

Also I second T Jones's comment; if you gave the hat a good soaking and used a balloon in place of a hat block, that could definitely increase any taper.

Last edited:

Bad Co

One of the Regulars
My Grey Federation has a taper like that .
I wound up putting a diamond bash in it .
None of my other Federations have it

chum

Familiar Face
If it was suppose to be a new model, that does look like a lot of taper for a Federation IV. My Fed has "Federation IV" stamped on the front of the sweatband. Post a pic of your sweatband. Maybe you did get an original Federation. If you did, it might have some extra value to a collector. I don't really know if any Akubras have much value to a collector though.

Sweatband pic Hat Sweatband.jpg

chum

Familiar Face
OK...made a nice discovery! Still love my hat! Now that it has aged and it has been through several rain and snow storms, not to mention me soaking with distilled water to try to restore to open crown...I have discovered that I can dry shape it ! hat front.jpg
hat side view 2.jpg

Now I think I can change the bash to fit my mood for the day! So who cares about taper! Still a nice hat!

Last edited:

chum

Familiar Face
Didn't you say the hat is four years old? Any hat will develop taper over that time period. Also, you may have a long oval shaped head, if so, as the hat adjusts to your head shape, it will develop a bit of front to back taper.

Also I second T Jones's comment; if you gave the hat a good soaking and used a balloon in place of a hat block, that could definitely increase any taper.

Did not know that you could actually stretch the felt by using something other than a block. I do have a long oval shaped head, too!

Landman

One Too Many
Based on the sweatband picture it looks like one of the original Federations. I think they used a different block on those than the newest version but I'm not sure about that.

Also from the picture it looks like it has been stretched quite a bit. Wetting the entire hat and stretching it can certainly cause the crown to taper. However, in the last photos you posted I think the hat looks very nice. I don't see a lot of taper in those photos. A diamond crease would also straighten the sides up more but I think it looks great like it is. Has some nice character to it.

javadave61

Practically Family
You've all seen the Fed IV a million times.... but on on me!

Here's my contribution to the national archive of Akubra Fed IV (Imperial) photographs...

20883_10206611713793139_2617337501244101134_n.jpg
11168010_10206611712473106_6651335804882885631_n.jpg

11150916_10206611713593134_6438080176900645368_n.jpg
11150992_10206611713113122_719976794294755428_n.jpg

10408792_10206611712513107_5081291615584988227_n.jpg
10407203_10206611712553108_8657901327126493627_n.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Ordered my first Fed IV in Moonstone today (Imperial). The Akubras fit me so well, it was a no brainer, really. Not to mention the great price!!

my Heritage Fed IV is among my absolute favorites

when visiting JJ Hatter a few weeks back one of the guys there couldn't tell if it was modern or vintage until I took it off and exposed the interior

I hate to admit things like this ... but sometimes I go into my office where all my hat boxes are, take the Fed IV out of it's box just to handle it and say .... damn that's a nice hat !!!

:)

... and unlike my CDs and Bushman it fit like a glove straight out of the box with no shrink time wear needed ... and still has not budged after plenty wear ...

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
my Heritage Fed IV is among my absolute favorites

when visiting JJ Hatter a few weeks back one of the guys there couldn't tell if it was modern or vintage until I took it off and exposed the interior

I hate to admit things like this ... but sometimes I go into my office where all my hat boxes are, take the Fed IV out of it's box just to handle it and say .... damn that's a nice hat !!!

:)

... and unlike my CDs and Bushman it fit like a glove straight out of the box with no shrink time wear needed ... and still has not budged after plenty wear ...

Mutual admiration Society. I'm on the fence abt the Imperial grade vs. Deluxe. My Deluxe has nice soft sides and took the pinch EXACTLY how I liked it. I'm so afraid the Imp will have stiffer sides...

ingineer

One Too Many
Terry;
I don't know about the heritage but the base grade imperial seems to run about a half size smaller than the Campdraft
I seldom wear it and there is no longer need for any filler.
for reference: i'm a 60.3 and the hat is a 61
OZ dollar is at a real low right now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24