Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need advice on picking out an Indy style fedora

citRon

A-List Customer
Gentleman. ...and Ladies, I feel that I'm in need of a little direction. I've been wanting a fedora for everyday wear in the Indy style, ie. color and specs.
I have searched the lounge until my eyes bleed. I see the Akubra Adventurer is heralded by many, as well as the Federation. -But David Morgan's Adventurer is different than the Hats Direct Adventurer, which is no longer available (?) and is also just a new name for another design that was -or is- the Explorer...and the Stetson Temple apparently isn't correct, or is it? I also understand the Adventurebilt is very, very nice, but a little 'spendy'. :eek: ...and then there's the Peters Brothers who have their own 'custom Indy' in soft, stiff rabbit, rabbitt and beaver, beaver, and a Dorfman 'official fur'?
I'm...so...confused....[huh]
I thought I had settled on an Akubra Federation, then I started reading about the DM/Akubra differences/similarities.
-What about Miller? -http://www.millerhats.com/miller_fedora/256_fedora.html

K

Kaosharper1

Adventurer vs. Fed

I have both and they're very similar. Same felt. The Adventurer crown is 1/2" lower and the brim in the front 1/4" wider. Oddly the Adventurer is more "accurate" on crown height while the brim on the Fed is closer to the movie. But frankly, unless you're a fanatic who would know?

The big difference is the Adventurer only comes in mid-brown while the Fed comes in several colors. So if you want something other than brown, go with the Fed. My Fed is carbon grey which is a kind of dark grey. It's great, but you can also get it in other colors. Once you take into account the shipping, the cost is almost identical.

NonEntity

Suspended
"Indy style' covers a lot of territory, and, if you are familiar with the three films, you already know that the fedoras Harrison Ford wears in each is different. So there is no one "true" Indiana Jones style hat. The movie scheduled for release this spring may feature yet another version.

My advice is to get a quality open crown fedora with the crown height and brim width that look good on you and bash/dent it to make it truly your own unique, generally speaking, "Indy style' hat.

While wearing it, perhaps adding a leather jacket, bullwhip, and .45 revolver would erase any doubt as to what style of hat it is. A strategically placed scar on your chin would help, too.

RBH

Bartender
I would say to take the leap and get your name in the pot for an Adventurebilt. Well worth the cash and the new Crystal Skull [Steve and Marc made the fedoras for the new movie] looks to me to be a great looking fedora.
Next up while you wait on the Adventurebilt get the Federation, a great hat for the money.

citRon

A-List Customer
Your right. What I should have asked was for opinions on several Indy hats that I'm contemplating! -And here they are:
Akubra Federation (Deluxe Fed worth the extra $$?)
DM's Akubra Adventurer
Millers hats style #236 (most specific I could get for the name-many 'Indy's on their site)
Jaxon Iconoclast
Adventurebilt would be nice, but a 1 year waiting list it seems.
Keppler's Indy

This will be worn for everyday use- dress, rain, etc. Any recommendations appreciated!

RBH

Bartender
I still say the Adventurebilt is the ticket... I believe the turn around time has gone down some.
Next I would say the Federation, I dont have the deluxe but the regular is a great fedora, and if you do get an Adventurebilt you can then put a c-crown or diamond crease in the Federation and your hats wont seem so much alike.
Also check out Peters Brothers in Texas, I have a straw Indy and its a great summer hat and they are fine folks to work with.
http://www.petersbros.com/INDY/Default.htm

Good luck!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I read a previous post from someone who said the difference in the Federation and the Deluxe Federation was very slight. I own an Akubra Squatter and I like it very much, according to Everything Austrailian that can be shaped into an "Indy" hat. I have a Federation on order from HatsDirect and it appears from what I've read that that too is an "Indy" hat. Both are affordable hats, and Akubra hats will last you a while.

citRon

A-List Customer
KY Gentleman said:
I read a previous post from someone who said the difference in the Federation and the Deluxe Federation was very slight. I own an Akubra Squatter and I like it very much, according to Everything Austrailian that can be shaped into an "Indy" hat. I have a Federation on order from HatsDirect and it appears from what I've read that that too is an "Indy" hat. Both are affordable hats, and Akubra hats will last you a while.

Greetings, KY Gentleman from another Ky-ian! -I'm in Louisville.

Mulceber

Practically Family
Yeah, I'd go for the Adventurebilt. I own one (with another, Indy IV style hat on the way) and there's simply no beating them. Superior to almost any hat on the market today, and better than a lot of vintage hats too.

Alternatively, if the year-long wait is such a turn-off, try the reblocked Herbert Johnson from Indy Magnoli. It's been reblocked and treated by Steve Delk so it's more resilient than your run of the mill HJ, but it still has the HJ name, and from what I hear, a better wait time. -Mulceber

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
The only problem with AB is that Steve has temporarily stopped taking new orders so he can catch up a bit.

If your willing to wait, though, AB is your best option. The Federation is a great hat for the meantime.

Might I suggest Peter Bros. They have a few months wait time, and they will customize.

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
I'll offer my endorsement of the David Morgan Adventurer. (Although, with my big, fat, square head, I look much better--or at least less worse--in a smaller brimmed hat like the David Morgan Sydney).

Adventurer2.jpg
Adventurer1.jpg

citRon

A-List Customer
WOW! Thanks for those pics- I was leaning towards the Adventurer, and I think jthat I just made up my mind! -Your pics are better, a LOT better than the website's. For what it's worth, I have a long ovalish shaped face, I like the 5.5 crown, and the extra brim width can be trimmed if I so desire when I get it and see how it looks on me.

genphideaux

New in Town
citRon said:
Your right. What I should have asked was for opinions on several Indy hats that I'm contemplating! -And here they are:
Akubra Federation (Deluxe Fed worth the extra $$?)
DM's Akubra Adventurer
Millers hats style #236 (most specific I could get for the name-many 'Indy's on their site)
Jaxon Iconoclast
Adventurebilt would be nice, but a 1 year waiting list it seems.
Keppler's Indy

This will be worn for everyday use- dress, rain, etc. Any recommendations appreciated!

You may want to also want to check into a Jimmy Pierce, he does both a rabbit fur for 125.00 and a 100% beaver for 300.00 and is a sponsor here. He used to work for Peters Bros. and does one great looking Indy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails