Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need advice on picking out an Indy style fedora

citRon

A-List Customer
genphideaux said:
You may want to also want to check into a Jimmy Pierce, he does both a rabbit fur for 125.00 and a 100% beaver for 300.00 and is a sponsor here. He used to work for Peters Bros. and does one great looking Indy.

I've read several endorsements for his hats, but his website seems to be currently nonexistent- the link states it is pending a renewal...?.

genphideaux

New in Town
indycop said:
It's not too hard to change a ribbon!:)

Have you used the one from Todd's Costumes which is supposed to be the original HJ Poet ribbon? The ribbon on the Fed Dlx is more black and really makes the hat look great. I would like to do the same treatment to the Adventure. I will say for all the time I have put into the DM Adventure I would have been miles ahead to buy a Jimmy Pierce. But then again I would have not learned several lessons.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
genphideaux said:
Have you used the one from Todd's Costumes which is supposed to be the original HJ Poet ribbon? The ribbon on the Fed Dlx is more black and really makes the hat look great. I would like to do the same treatment to the Adventure. I will say for all the time I have put into the DM Adventure I would have been miles ahead to buy a Jimmy Pierce. But then again I would have not learned several lessons.
I put a ribbon from Todd's on Deelovely's Akubra leisuretime.
I really like the black ribbon on the dark brown felt though,stands out a little instead of just getting lost in the brown.:D

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I got my Federation yesterday and it has a great high crown for the "Indy" look if thats what you are looking for. I would recommend this one for price and overall appearance. Good luck. Go 'Cats....

genphideaux

New in Town
Peters Bros Indy on the OFAS

I do not know or own this item, just thought I would let everyone know what I found...... and if it was a 7.5/60 you'd have seen it two weeks from now in a post about my new Indy.....LOL

K

Kaosharper1

Production Adventurebilt

Over at COW there's a lot of discussion of a production Adventurebilt coming in time for Indy IV. Fedora says that it'll be reasonably priced and of a good enough quality to have his name on it (I don't think it's tied to Lucas) but it will be authentic. It may be a competitor for Akubra.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Kaosharper1 said:
Over at COW there's a lot of discussion of a production Adventurebilt coming in time for Indy IV. Fedora says that it'll be reasonably priced and of a good enough quality to have his name on it (I don't think it's tied to Lucas) but it will be authentic. It may be a competitor for Akubra.

What I know is that (if the hats are ready) AB will be allowed to ship the hats on the day that the movie comes out - so you wouldn't have it in time for opening night. I also know that the shape will be true to the new movie hat. What I'm fairly confident I think I might possibly know, maybe, is that the AB factory hat will be an authentic Indy product.

Follow that? :eek:

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
I haven't read through the ENTIRE thread, I must admit, but I'll throw my two cents in anyway. As I told you in the PM, citRon, the hat in my avatar is a Fed Dlx. In my opinion it's a fantastic hat. Of course, I only have the one with little else to compare it to, but none the less... I probably payed to much for it (it was a used one, then I had it reblocked and refurbed at Optimo: $$$), but I love it! There is hardly a day that goes by when I don't wear it, even if it is just around the house. My son plays with it, sits on it, and generally bashes it around for me, and it still pops right back into place by hand or with a little steam-help. If you're looking for the best bargain in Indy hats, I would go with the regular Fed, as I've heard there isn't a tremendous amount of difference. The Dlx felt is SLIGHTLY higher quality, but relatively indistinguishable to the lay person (myself included). After all, before Adventurebilt came along, the Federation was THE Indy hat, designed in cooperation with the folks at Indy Gear where Steve "Fedora" Delk of Adventurebilt got started. There you have it!!! Happy hunting...

I have posted other pics of my hat as it progressed to more of the Raiders look (pinch-wise at least). Look 'em up if you interested. http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=26100
Regards, Andy

citRon

A-List Customer
Ive decided!! ....sort of, I guess...maybe.

:eusa_clap Ok guys, thank you sooooo much for your input. I'm either going with the DM Adventurer, or JPD. Jimmy just pm'd me, so we'll see what the production time will be. I like the dimensions of the Adventurer, but from a pic of JPD's I've seen, I like his color better. BTW, if anyone has pics of one of Jimmy's Indys, or an Adventurer being worn I'd like to see them. Thanks!

K

Kaosharper1

Adventurer Pics

I have pics of my adventurer in the thread "My new DM Akubra Adventurer" including one of me wearing it.

citRon

A-List Customer
UPDATE

Well, I've been cyber chatting with Jimmy aka JPD aka Pierce's Custom Hats aka JP Design (trying to help out the next guy that searches for info on him!)
Looks like my search is over. I'm going to call him Monday and order. I like the DM Adventurer, but not the color-too dark. I like the Keppler, but not that tall of a crown, I want a 5- 5 1/4 in crown :eek: so a custom seems the way to go, and Jimmys' color is just right. Thanks for all the help.

citRon

A-List Customer
Donato said:
Congrats, citRon. Did Jimmy say how long a wait you will have? Be sure to post pics when your Indy is ready. Thanks.

he said 4 weeks...maybe 6. Man, I hope he stays on schedule!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner