Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need advice on picking out an Indy style fedora

Donato

One of the Regulars
DanielJones said:
If an AB may not be afforded, might I suggest the Camptown 1936 Fieldmaster? It's a beautiful 50/50 blend of beaver & rabbit, wears like iron & shapes to what you want very well. It's well worth looking in to. A good bank for the buck.

http://www.camptownhats.com/products.asp

Cheers!

Dan
I think the Camptown is a beautiful lid but the brim is 3" and for me, that is just too wide. Camptown will cut it down but they charge extra for that. The AB factory made - good enough to carry the AB name - will be available at a "reasonable price" - probably about the same as the Camptown...if somecan can delay gratification until May 22nd when the new Indy film is released.

Tone

A-List Customer
hi CitRon,

Good choice on the 5 1/4" crown JPD. I have one of those on the way myself. Both the Adventurer and JPD are great hats, but the Adventurer is most likely going to be more of a project hat (there's a bigger hump to get over in terms of color and ribbon) in order to get the "indy" out of it.

Adventurer - brim will need to be trimmed, the ribbon switched out, and some dirt will make it a good looking hat. Still reliably Akubra tough.

JPD - Jimmy trims the brim, the color is "on".

Pics of both being worn:

adventurerwribbonswapbo4.jpg
Adventurer with switched out darker ribbon.

jpd1hf0.jpg
JPD (ribbon slightly wider by default.)

I also prefer the 5 1/4" crowns for my height - even though the 5 1/2" may be the accurate specs. The 5 1/2's always seem to look a bit too tall on me; not intolerable, but just enough.

The JPD there is a 5 1/2" crown, the earlier "Western" rugged felt, though I have seen the recent rabbit version and that is the shizzle for an Indy and also what my 5 1/4" is going to be.

The only advice I have is perhaps to order a Todd's 1 1/2" ribbon anyway (or from a ribbon supplier of your choice, of course) - the larger ribbon on the JPD may tend to dwarf the shorter crown by illusion - in case you want to switch it out for a 1 1/2" ribbon.

Sizing - it's been my experience on the last couple of JPDs that Jimmy doesn't kid around with sizing. You get the size you give him, so if you want some room to fit when the hair grows a bit longer, mention that to him.

I hope it helps and I am definitely looking forward to seeing how a 5 1/4" JPD looks on someone.

Tone

A-List Customer
Thanks much, RBH.
The JPD has always been one of my favorites of the "indy" style hats available. Price, looks. I love that thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner