Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need expert advice...

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
I've spotted a couple of nice hats and I don't know enough to tell whether they're vintage or modern. But they're my size (watermelon head) and that's rare enough to make me take a serious look.

One's a Stetson Sovereign Twenty in dove grey fur with a black grosgrain band. It looks like it's bound but I can't tell for sure. The seller says 1940s-50s, but I have no idea how to date this thing.

The other is a Borsalino (for Marshall Fields) in brown with a wide brown ribbon and a bound brim.

Both are very nice looking lids. Any tips on how to determine the age of these things would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Victor

One of the Regulars
be careful about that Stetson. i saw the auction and it appears to be mislabeled as to size. You are likely to get a 6 7/8 hat if you win. Look at the inside circumference that he lists

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
They are both vintage hats. The Borsalino hat is probably from the 1950's as Marshall Fields is long gone .

Aerol

A-List Customer
Marshall Field's

hat department may be long gone, but Marshall Field's is still going strong....at least until September, when their new owners are changing the name to Macy's.

Victor

One of the Regulars
I was right about that stetson. i emailed the seller and it was indeed a 6 7/8. they pulled the auction and relisted it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24