Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I plan to order an Aero FQHH Highwayman, have I forgotten anything?

JLStorm

Practically Family
Because I have a chance to save on shipping, I will most likely order a FQHH Highwayman to be shipped back with my custom B3 that is being sent to Aero for some alterations and changes.

Thanks in no small part to JanSolo, I think I have figured out what I want for leather color and lining. Please let me know if Im missing any features which might be useful.

Specs:
FQHH Brown
Rust fur collar (somewhat over-sized)
Alpaca lining
Bi-swing back
The heaviest duty zipper they currently use (personal preference)
A length of between 30 and 31 inches (I wear untucked shirts or longer sweaters and I hate when a shirt hangs down lower than my jacket)
A bit more of a relaxed fit than my B3

Is there anything else that anyone can think of or has learned while ordering a highwayman that I have not taken into consideration yet?

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
IMHO, do you think a Highwayman of that length would look good? Its meant to be a short jacket and increasing its length drastically like that might ruin its "look". If your looking for a longer jacket Aero does sell a long half-belt, the top half of which similar to the Highwayman. Just my two cents.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Hawk_Eye said:
IMHO, do you think a Highwayman of that length would look good? Its meant to be a short jacket and increasing its length drastically like that might ruin its "look". If your looking for a longer jacket Aero does sell a long half-belt, the top half of which similar to the Highwayman. Just my two cents.

I really dont care for the bottom of the half belt and the long half belt is to long. Id be willing to go a little shorter on the highwayman, but the standard length is definitely too short

Peacoat

Bartender
JLStorm said:
I really dont care for the bottom of the half belt and the long half belt is to long. Id be willing to go a little shorter on the highwayman, but the standard length is definitely too short

Adding 5 to 6 inches to the length might not just look a little odd, but it may not fit over the width of your hips and butt. The bottom of the Highwayman is made to fit at the waist, and not at the hip. The Highwayman is not designed to be worn over, and cover, un-tucked shirt tails.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Peacoat said:
Adding 5 to 6 inches to the length might not just look a little odd, but it may not fit over the width of your hips and butt. The bottom of the Highwayman is made to fit at the waist, and not at the hip. The Highwayman is not designed to be worn over, and cover, un-tucked shirt tails.

Amanda said that the highwayman was 27.5" long, do you think adding 2.5 - 3.5" would make that big a difference? If so, maybe I do need to look at another style...Im not sure which one though. What if I only add 2" to the length?

The problem with most of the longer coats is that they get more dressy and I want extremely casual.

bobjones

A-List Customer
JLStorm said:
Amanda said that the highwayman was 27.5" long, do you think adding 2.5 - 3.5" would make that big a difference? If so, maybe I do need to look at another style...Im not sure which one though. What if I only add 2" to the length?

The problem with most of the longer coats is that they get more dressy and I want extremely casual.

Hi there. At 31" you've just turned, as Peacoat said, a waist length jacket into a car coat.

My Stockman is 31" from back collar seam to the jacket bottom edge, and I am 5-10 1/2". I am not sure how tall you are, but the 42 reg Highwayman the Galashiel Wizards are crafting for me right now will be 26" as I added ONE inch to get it a bit longer, but 3+ inches and it will really look off, IMHO. HoosierDaddy's looked a little short for my taste, so I added that one inch, and wrestled with just that inch. Anything more will really screw up the fit and structure of the jacket design.

The LHB might make more sense for you, and is a jacket that sits comfortably in fit and style between the "Big 3" (Cheyenne, Veste de Rallye, Stockman - the longer coats) and the short jackets like the HB and Hwyman.

Forgot to mention, the Stockman is as dressy or casual as whatever else I'm wearing - I wear it with jeans, and as an overcoat over my suits occasionally to work. It is a VERY versatile coat.

bobjones

A-List Customer
JLStorm said:
Because I have a chance to save on shipping, I will most likely order a FQHH Highwayman to be shipped back with my custom B3 that is being sent to Aero for some alterations and changes.

Thanks in no small part to JanSolo, I think I have figured out what I want for leather color and lining. Please let me know if Im missing any features which might be useful.

Specs:
FQHH Brown
Rust fur collar (somewhat over-sized)
Alpaca lining
Bi-swing back
The heaviest duty zipper they currently use (personal preference)
A length of between 30 and 31 inches (I wear untucked shirts or longer sweaters and I hate when a shirt hangs down lower than my jacket)
A bit more of a relaxed fit than my B3

Is there anything else that anyone can think of or has learned while ordering a highwayman that I have not taken into consideration yet?

Another item might include: style and design of inside pockets, pockets on both sides in front, or just one side - or none at all.

JLStorm

Practically Family
bobjones said:
Hi there. At 31" you've just turned, as Peacoat said, a waist length jacket into a car coat.

My Stockman is 31" from back collar seam to the jacket bottom edge, and I am 5-10 1/2". I am not sure how tall you are, but the 42 reg Highwayman the Galashiel Wizards are crafting for me right now will be 26" as I added ONE inch to get it a bit longer, but 3+ inches and it will really look off, IMHO. HoosierDaddy's looked a little short for my taste, so I added that one inch, and wrestled with just that inch. Anything more will really screw up the fit and structure of the jacket design.

The LHB might make more sense for you, and is a jacket that sits comfortably in fit and style between the "Big 3" (Cheyenne, Veste de Rallye, Stockman - the longer coats) and the short jackets like the HB and Hwyman.

Forgot to mention, the Stockman is as dressy or casual as whatever else I'm wearing - I wear it with jeans, and as an overcoat over my suits occasionally to work. It is a VERY versatile coat.

Im only 5'9", but wear a size 50, I guess thats why they said it was 27.5" I like the style of the cheyenne, a bit more than the stockman. The problem is that I do not like buttons at all. I also dont like outer pockets other than a hand slash pockets

Holey Moley
I sure wouldn't want a Highwayman much longer than 26". Amanda said the normal Highwayman is 27.5" in length?...in what size?? Most reg Hwymns in size 40-42 hover around 25".
HD

JLStorm

Practically Family
HoosierDaddy said:
Holey Moley
I sure wouldn't want a Highwayman much longer than 26". Amanda said the normal Highwayman is 27.5" in length?...in what size?? Most reg Hwymns in size 40-42 hover around 25".
HD

Size 50.

bobjones

A-List Customer
JLStorm said:
Im only 5'9", but wear a size 50, I guess thats why they said it was 27.5" I like the style of the cheyenne, a bit more than the stockman. The problem is that I do not like buttons at all. I also dont like outer pockets other than a hand slash pockets

Got it, but the fact you are a size 50 at 5'9" makes it a non-standard, so the length would have to be shortened. At your height, a 31" jacket will go mid-thigh at least, and will, IMHO, ruin the look of the Highwayman.

Call Will in Scotland/Mark in NC and ask them about modifying the LHB, such as removing the flap over the front slash pockets, and without the front chest pocket if you prefer a less cluttered look.

Keep in mind Aero's jackets are somewhat like Lego blocks, you can mix and match almost infinitely.

bobjones

A-List Customer
HoosierDaddy said:
Holey Moley
HD

HD, you are boringly correct all of the time - Will said a 42 Reg has a length of exactly 25", but I added a single humble inch just to cover completely my belt.

But over 26", and I think it will too radically change the jacket's look...

JLStorm

Practically Family
bobjones said:
Got it, but the fact you are a size 50 at 5'9" makes it a non-standard, so the length would have to be shortened. At your height, a 31" jacket will go mid-thigh at least, and will, IMHO, ruin the look of the Highwayman.

Call Will in Scotland/Mark in NC and ask them about modifying the LHB, such as removing the flap over the front slash pockets, and without the front chest pocket if you prefer a less cluttered look.

Keep in mind Aero's jackets are somewhat like Lego blocks, you can mix and match almost infinitely.

Wait, let me make sure we are measuring from the same place. On a jacket I like the fit of that is definitely not mid thigh it measures 31" from the very top of the jacket to the very bottom of the jacket.

I think you might want to reconsider that length..especially if you're only 5'9"....but what do I know. Seems to me that it would be awfully looong!
HD

Bob ...You'll do fine with the 26" length. After the Fact...I wish that I had. The 25" is right on the border line for me.

bobjones

A-List Customer
HoosierDaddy said:
I think you might want to reconsider that length..especially if you're only 5'9"....but what do I know. Seems to me that it would be awfully looong!
HD

Bob ...You'll do fine with the 26" length. After the Fact...I wish that I had. The 25" is right on the border line for me.

It was your picture, actually that got me thinking to add the inch:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=788254&postcount=1

The 4th picture down, i.e., the first Hwyman pic, where your buckle is only partially covered, is what iced it for me.

JLStorm, the correct measurement for the jacket length, at least in the back is from the collar seam to the bottom jacket edge, as can be seen here:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll104/bobjones_aero/357219701.jpg

The top point should be the bottom collar seam - though you cannot see it as the collar is folded down in the picture.

JLStorm

Practically Family
HoosierDaddy said:
A correct jacket back measurement is from the bottom of collar down to end of the jacket.
HD

oh well from the collar seam to the bottom of the jacket I am using for reference its just under 29.5" I could go down to 29" I definitely wouldnt want anything longer than 29.5" then. Sorry about that. Its a good thing I asked you guys before I started the ordering process from Aero. It sounds like its still to long for a highwayman though. But its to short for a cheyenne, stockman, or admiral byrd...hmm. Any other options?

JLStorm

Practically Family
I talked to Aero today and they simply suggested that they create a highwayman using some of the design factors that go into the long half belt. They didnt seem to think it would ruin the cut or style of the highwayman. From past experience with Aero, they will usually let me know when I am asking for something to be done that they dont feel comfortable with.

Anyone see any issues with going this route?

JL
Sorry...I just can't see how it could look right that long...
Would the side straps stay at the waist? Would it still have the wide band or hem at the bottom?
Do you have that long of a torso at 5'9"...for that length?
I do hope that you won't be disappointed.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick