Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want a column

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I want to see columns from some of the principal hat manufacturers (Hatco, Borsalino, and so forth) on outlook and trends in the men's hat industry. Maybe it's a blog here, or a blog elsewhere, or regular press releases. It doesn't need to be interactive. I want to hear from industry about what they're doing. It would be fun.

danofarlington

Sounds like something you should do.

No, I mean to say, someone from the industry. I guess they may resist it to avoid getting into a bunch of back and forth that the manufacturer (or custom hatmaker or retailer) may not want to do, this I understand. But to me it would be interesting to hear from the mysterious hatmakers about what they're thinking.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
They really don't care much for people love vintage.
We are way to picky for them. We are use to the vintage details that cost money. An they are happy selling hats to people who are less picky and like a good sweatband and
Ribbons that are correctly installed without monofament
Thread.

tealseal

A-List Customer
They really don't care much for people love vintage.
We are way to picky for them. We are use to the vintage details that cost money. An they are happy selling hats to people who are less picky and like a good sweatband and
Ribbons that are correctly installed without monofament
Thread.

Perhaps I misunderstand Dan, but what I think he wants is a blog/column/twitter feed/periodical about what the modern hatters are doing. If that's the case then I totally agree; It would be nice to hear what they're thinking about things like: What they perceive the fur felt hat market conditions to be like, how they're evolving, why they're putting out the styles/dimensions/proportions they are, etc. I don't think that what Dan is asking for has anything to do with loving vintage at all.

Essentially, what I'd like to see is something akin to an MD&A from the modern hat manufacturers.

Dan, please correct me if I'm off.

-TS

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
You can get this from the Facebook page of Stetson. Big manufactors really don't do this they let marketing sell the hat. They have a price point to hit and what colors are in that season and that what they work from. Talking about Fur market and why's don't does not sell hats in the current market as Hats to "normal" people are a fashion purchase. "Hey honey how do I look in this hat?" People really don't understand today that fur is even used to make hats. You see this in eBay when they say wool hat when we know that it is a fur felt hat. An really with animal rights people out there the manufactors really don't want to make a big deal about their fur content.

danofarlington

Tealseal has my question right. Wiser Hatter probably is right about Stetson's attitude toward publicity. RBH is probably right also with Facebook, but I'm not on Facebook, don't know how much it may cover the "news and trends" kind of information/prognistication I'd be interested to see. But even if they do it on Facebook, I'd like to see the info elsewhere.

You'd think that if there were a spark of Fedoramania out there in the world, the big companies would want to seize on it and exploit it to the max. They could fan the spark into a larger spark, possibly. Oh, well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoEllis