Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want a cool cloth hat...any ideas

Canadave

One Too Many
K.D. Lightner said:
Anybody out there have any experience with the Tilley T4 Hemp hat? Or is it too new...

I tried it on the other day, and it has a bit of a linen feel.

Regarding the hats fitting a bit big and low, I believe they recommend that the hat be held on by gravity, not by the snugness of the circumference...or something like that. I read that somewhere...either on their web site or the hat's "brag tag", which is sort of like the owner's manual for the hat.

David

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Canadave -- I think I will go check out the hat. I like linen. What I don't like is synthetic materials, though I guess some of it is breathable enough these days.

My problem with the classic Tilley hats is that they look like they collapsed on my head. I prefer a little more structure.

Will let you all know what I find out about the T4 Hemp.

karol

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I went to the Village Hatshop late yesterday and tried on Tilley hats. For the most part, I thought I looked silly in a Tilley, but I did try on and really liked the T4 Hemp hat.

It does feel like linen. I liked it because it was a little firmer than the other Tilley hats and so fit on my head better. It also has an attractive brim width for me, longer in front and back, shorter on the sides like an Indy hat. It also has a nice droop to it. And, yes, the 7 1/4 hat fit me, not 7 1/8. (I noticed, trying on all the hats, that both 7 1/4 and 7 3/8 Tilleys actually fit better than my true size, but above that was way too big)

I wore it today because it was hot out and am happy to report that my head did not sweat, which it usually does when it gets warm and I wear a fedora or newsboy cap.

This is a nice addition to my hat collection and one I can happily wear in hot weather.

karol

gcollins

One of the Regulars
AlanC said:
Thanks for the continued help. I'm going to India for about three weeks, and will be in the city some, but also going to some villages in the hinterlands. I'll be there late May-early June. My thinning hair leaves me particularly in need of head coverage these days.

Tilley is no problem in India. I have 3 tilleys and mostly now where straws ro felts there--these days I'm usually either up in Chandigar (Punjab), Delhi or down in Bangalore, Mumbai (Bombay) or Chennai. But I've worn Tilley's even in Dharmasala--you have to go there if you go to India for pleasure--even Muslims are welcome. These days I wear felt or straws depending on where I'm going there.

Tilley is a great around hat, as long as you're not wearing suits or a bit more upscale gear--don't screw around with the retailers, just order direct from Tilley. It will get to you in a few days, and you'll get the hat you want. And you can return it three years later if you like to take advantage of their excellent warranty.

Enjoy the journey. You may not come back. :)

Regards,
G

Canadave

One Too Many
Are you talking about this hat? I'm not sure what you mean by "that "tether" thing (the forehead elastic band)"...do you mean the forehead warmer? It just folds up like the ear warmers...totally out of the way.

I can easily go back in and check it out if I missed something. Let me know...

David

PS If you mean the "...hidden tether feature [that] keeps you from losing your hat in strong winds", I believe this is the same thing they have on all their hats...if you don't want to use it, you just tuck it in the crown or remove it. I don't see any reference to an "elastic band".

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Hi everyone,

I don't want my first post here to be a sales pitch but I hope I can shed a little light on the subject of Tilleys. In the summer Tilley's outsell everything other brand we sell. I personally wear the T3, T5 and the Winter Hat. In the winter I wear my Winter Hat at least 60-70% of the time. Being in New Hampshire I really like those fold down earflaps. The wind tether on the Winter Hat is new for this year. It works great at keeping the hat on your head in high winds. One side of the tether is sewn and the other end in attached with velcro so that you can adjust it. Because of this tether you actually need to take the hat off from the back, opposite the way you would most any other hat.

I consider the T5 to have regular sizing. The LTM series tends to fit smaller and the T3 tends to fit big. Also for some reason the T3 Olive has a different sweatband than the others, a little thicker.

For another option, though completely different, check out the Sunday Afternoons hats for great sun protection. I haven't personally worn one but a lot of my customers like them when they're spending the weekend on the water.

Feel free to email or call me if I can be of further assistance.

Regards,

Aaron Kesmetis, Proprietor
Aaron Hats
www.getahaton.com
877-FUN HATS
tophat@getahaton.com

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Aaron, our new hamphire surprise! Live free or die.

You guys need to check out his website and commercial...and his new store. Class act all the way around, great pricing and service and the guy just plain knows hats and people. Wonderful man and business.

Aaron, you still need a good custom fedora so that that Tilley winter hat only comes out 30-40% of the time!

Regards,
G

Aaron Hats

Vendor
G, Thank you for that high praise. Yes, a custom fedora is on my list but with so many hats to choose from in the store it's a ways down on the list.

Old Hat, I haven't heard any negative comments from customers who have worn the new Winter hat with tether. It just fits across your forehead (can't be seen when the hat is on) and when adjusted properly the only time you know it's there is when you try to take the hat off from the front.

In my personal opinion I don't see Tilley doing anything to rectifiy the sizing issue. The company grows slowly and introduces new styles/colors very carefully. There are countries they won't sell in because they know they'll have a hard time keeping up with the demand. That's a nice position to be in as a manufacturer.

Live free to die,

Gershomite

New in Town
I love the Tilley, and recommend it without reservation. The next one I get will be the Hemp model...it has a rather good look about it.

:)

Gersh

Canadave

One Too Many
Old_Hat said:
Not so much worried about the visibility, just how much hassle it is to put the hat on. At least except for windy days, I'm pretty attached to just clapping my hat on my head on the way out the door. The strap looks... fiddly.

I finally checked it out this week, and unfortunately, it is a bit fiddly. As described, it is just a ribbon that parallels the sweatband at the forehead. You don't even feel it, but if the hat is blown off from the front, it is anchored at your forehead. I would probably pull it out (it's just velcroed in).

BTW, while I was there, I bought one of these TH4s in an olive/brown colour. (It must be a new colour, 'cause it's not shown.) Sweet!

David

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I have had my Tilley Hemp hat for about a month, now, and I really like it. I like the way it looks on me, the feel of it on my head and have had only to endure a couple of my baby boomer friends asking me if I could smoke it.

I did not see it in Olive, so it must be really new, either that or the Village Hat Shop didn't carry it.

We are beginning to see lots of Tilley hats around in San Diego, probably we will see more as the weather gets warmer.

There are some stories in my Tilley packet (the one that stores in the top of the hat) that I can hardly believe -- including one involving a Tilley hat eaten three different times by elephants, then retrieved and cleaned. And it is still OK, was sent to the Tilley museum. Someone tell me that has to be an urban legend.

karol

Michaelson

One Too Many
What I find interesting is that the hat you picked up was sold here in the States under the Stetson name brand, and could be purchased through J. C. Penney for about $30 about 5 years ago. I had one. I don't think you'll be to happy with it, as it leaks like a sieve if you get caught in a surprise summer rain storm...at least MINE did, and they're pretty hot in summer sun and humidity, as they just don't breathe. I gave mine away.

What I usually do when discussing a hat size on the web is supply my head measurement, rather than a standard sizing. Like you say, sizes seem to be all OVER the map when dealing on the WWW, but if dealing with a company that will check a hat with YOUR supplied head measurement, you'll get the right size everytime (at least I have). One company that comes to mind is 'Hatsdirect' of Australia. They have quite a few hats that may fill your bill, such as the Drizabone hats made in Australia. Excellent prices too.

Regards. Michaelson

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
5179.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I've seen the hat that Matt displayed out in the Anza-Borrego desert. A few folks wear them.

I've seen just as many makeshift Legionnaires caps: a person out in the hot sun with a ballcap realizes the cap is protecting next to nothing and so puts a handkerchief or (in one case) a torn t-shirt on his/her head and wears it dangling around the hat.

I don't look too bad in one, but, when I look in a mirror, I expect to see Gary Cooper staring back at me.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails