Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Wear A Hat Because... Rx

OldStrummer

Practically Family
I went to my dermatologist today to have him look at a crusty little bugger that appeared a month or so ago on my right ear, and which causes me some discomfort when I touch or rub it. With a hat, with a pillow, etc.

It turns out it's a result of the sun. It's not pre-cancerous or anything to be alarmed about, and it has a name that makes antidisestablishmentarianism or supercalifragilisticexpialidocious look short by comparison. They can be stubborn, he told me, so my choices range from doing nothing to plastic surgery. His recommendation was to freeze it and see if it doesn't just dry up and go away. So, that's what we did.

Please note the first sentence in the paragraph above: "result of the sun." I told the doc that my father, in his eighties, had a melanoma removed from an ear, and was told to wear a hat when going in the sun. Good advice, replied my doctor.

So, now in addition to wearing a hat for fashion, I have a doctor's recommendation to do so! In fact, he recommended a hat store a day trip away that carries "lots" of brands at decent prices. I took note of it and will plan a day trip in the near future!

I started wearing hats in 2008 because I thought I was finally old enough to pull it off without a hat looking like a costume item on my head. Then, in January of 2013 I had a bit of skin cancer (Basal Cell Carcinoma) cut off of my nose--a tiny bump that I hardly noticed until it doubled in size in about a month's time, turned slightly red, and was occasionally sensitive to touch. It was so minor that I'm convinced they removed it all when they took the biopsy sample, but I underwent the MOHS surgery anyway. It was after this that I started taking sun protection more seriously (even though any future "damage" was probably done years ago), and since I don't like that "oil slick" feeling of sunscreen on my face brimmed hats were the next best option. So I now wear them for sun protection as much as because I like them, and was the reason I chose a Sunbody hat for my first summer straw.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Everything that Zombie said. Over the years I’ve had so many small carcinomas removed from my face and arms that I have lost count. I really make a conscious effort to keep my face and ears out of the sun. In the summer my panama or my tan Bugatti are just a part of my look. Now if only there was such a simple fix for prostate issues. :confused:

Fair-haired, blue-eyed me got routinely and somewhat severely sunburned as a kid. Every summer my nose would get so burned that it bled and a scab formed.

I've read that the damage caused by that sun exposure is irreversible and can manifest itself in cancer decades later. Oh joy.

I hadn't taken up hat-wearing as a precaution against skin cancer, but I'll take it as an added benefit. Perhaps there's no undoing the existing damage, but I can prevent further damage.

Those bestowed with full heads of hair perhaps wouldn't appreciate what a hat does for those of us with, um, high foreheads. A sunburned scalp isn't the worst discomfort I've ever known, but it's decidedly unpleasant. And so is a driving rain pounding on the top of a bald head. I liken in to being outside without a shirt. Most of us would opt against rain on our uncovered torsos, given a choice.

Last edited:
...I've read that the damage caused by that sun exposure is irreversible and can manifest itself in cancer decades later. Oh joy...
After they called to tell me I had BCC and make the appointment to remove it I did a little online research and found out the only risk factor I didn't have was "blonde or red hair". History of sun exposure? Check. Ever used a tanning bed? Check. Fair skin? Check. Ever had a sunburn? Check. Blue, green, or grey eyes? Check. Yep, that's the list. Basically, unless you've somehow never been exposed to the sun, everyone is at risk. The good news is, as far as cancers go BCC is relatively benign as long as it's detected and treated early enough. It can sometimes affect the muscles beneath the skin, but rarely spreads to any vital organs.

Edward

Bartender
I wore ballcaps in the Summer as a kid to keep the sun off, and the occasional woolly hat for warmth in the Winter, especially after I quit wearing coats with hoods. Quit the ballcaps at sixteen because I didn't like how they looked on me. At twenty I picked up my first Greek fisherman / train driver style cap in corduroy, wore that all Winter at university in Belfast, where invariably by the time the rain is strong enough to be bothered putting up an umbrella, the wind makes it impossible to wield. By the time I was 25, I'd begun to wear a brimmed boonie hat in hot weather. I also had a wool fedora that came out for special occasions. In 2006 I gave up trying to hide how fast my hair was thinning, and shaved my head entirely. Winter warmth and Sun-avoidance mattered more after that, though the particular hats I choose to wear for that purpose became as much about style as anything from that point onwards.

C_hasbeen

New in Town
I have always worn a hat because the way I grew up all men wore one of one type or another when out doors. It used to be a habbit to remove it when comming in the house, but now it takes a couple of minutes to remember.
Public buildings it used to be ok to leave it on, however a school building, church, or a eating place you would remove it.
Same way when visiting a person at home.

Eyeofsauron

One of the Regulars
I know this thread seemed to stop but people need to really be aware to how important it is to wake care of how much sun you get. I had a kidney transplant 11 years ago and was informed that transplants patients have a 100 greater chance of skin cancer. I've always worn hats I but now wear wide brims to take care of the entire head and neck. Though I may have an increased risk, everybody is at risk. The thing is, if you have to wear a hat you should look good doing it.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I went to my dermatologist today to have him look at a crusty little bugger that appeared a month or so ago on my right ear, and which causes me some discomfort when I touch or rub it. With a hat, with a pillow, etc.

It turns out it's a result of the sun. It's not pre-cancerous or anything to be alarmed about, and it has a name that makes antidisestablishmentarianism or supercalifragilisticexpialidocious look short by comparison. They can be stubborn, he told me, so my choices range from doing nothing to plastic surgery. His recommendation was to freeze it and see if it doesn't just dry up and go away. So, that's what we did.
Could it be polymorphic light eruption? Whilst wearing hats protects from the sunshine, there are times when, in strong sunlight, I take mine off. For some baffling reason, short, strong doses of sunshine clears up the scalp psoriasis that's plagued me for most of my life.

Now if only there was such a simple fix for prostate issues. :confused:
Of course there is, and you are going to love it. Sex, sex and more sex. You may think I'm being frivolous, but the truth is, the prostrate makes and secretes prostrate fluid for your entire life. You need to keep releasing it, well that's what I told my missus. So if you are visiting and we happen to disappear upstairs, don't worry it's just my medicinal time, we'll be down again before too long.
https://www.nhs.uk/news/cancer/frequent-ejaculation-may-decrease-prostate-cancer-risk/

Last edited:

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Could it be polymorphic light eruption? Whilst wearing hats protects from the sunshine, there are times when, in strong sunlight, I take mine off. For some baffling reason, short, strong doses of sunshine clears up the scalp psoriasis that's plagued me for most of my life.

I have no idea what you just said. "Polymorphic light eruption?" Poly = many, morphic = having shape or form. "Light eruption?" I can't figure this one out, so maybe it's the cause. All I know is that I'm fair-skinned, blonde (well, used to be) and blue-eyed. Our type doesn't take well to heavy doses of the sun.

...Whilst wearing hats protects from the sunshine, there are times when, in strong sunlight, I take mine off. For some baffling reason, short, strong doses of sunshine clears up the scalp psoriasis that's plagued me for most of my life...
A few decades ago my wife developed a rash on her arms and legs that was diagnosed as Lichen Planus. The doctor prescribed a topical corticosteroid (i.e., ointment) to apply at night, and during the day if the itching became a problem. He also advised her to, despite the risks, spend more time laying in the sun because the UVB rays would also treat it. Naturally I teased her about that a bit, because I've never had a doctor prescribe a day at the beach for me.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I have no idea what you just said. "Polymorphic light eruption?" Poly = many, morphic = having shape or form. "Light eruption?" I can't figure this one out, so maybe it's the cause. All I know is that I'm fair-skinned, blonde (well, used to be) and blue-eyed. Our type doesn't take well to heavy doses of the sun.
Polymorphic light eruption, is a rash caused by sun exposure in people who have developed sensitivity to sunlight. The rash usually appears as red, tiny bumps or slightly raised patches of skin.

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Polymorphic light eruption, is a rash caused by sun exposure in people who have developed sensitivity to sunlight. The rash usually appears as red, tiny bumps or slightly raised patches of skin.

Thanks. That sounds like what happened AFTER I started applying the medication. Basically, I felt like I had dry skin before my dermatologist prescribed fluorouracil for it. He warned me it would turn my face into a wreck, but that it was temporary. My face is almost back to normal now.

HanauMan

Practically Family
Very sensible advice about wearing a hat in the sun, preferably one with a brim.

I have worn wide brimmed hats when in the sun, mostly during the summer months when the sun is strongest, for some years. I also cover up when I'm out in the sun and wear long sleeved shirts (some with UV protection) to reduce the risk of sun burn and further skin damage (I was sun burnt a few times as a kid and teen).

This is my current summer wear outfit for when I'm hiking or going into town, etc. A thin cotton German army jacket (sleeves down) and a old (1977 dated) Soviet Afghanka sun hat. Nothing fancy and cheap to buy, but very effective in keeping that ol' sun at bay. Also, good quality sunglasses to protect your eyes from UV damage.

afg1.JPG

Tiki Tom

31 Model A

A-List Customer

Of course there is, and you are going to love it. Sex, sex and more sex. You may think I'm being frivolous, but the truth is, the prostrate makes and secretes prostrate fluid for your entire life. You need to keep releasing it, well that's what I told my missus. So if you are visiting and we happen to disappear upstairs, don't worry it's just my medicinal time, we'll be down again before too long.
https://www.nhs.uk/news/cancer/frequent-ejaculation-may-decrease-prostate-cancer-risk/
I concur 100%....today I wear a hat because I'm bald even during my medicinal time!!!!:D I'm bald because I wore a headcover for 20 years....a helmet!!!

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
"... my dermatologist prescribed fluorouracil for it. ...

Based on that clue, my entry in "Name that Skin Disease!" is, "actinic keratosis".

From skincancer.org
"An actinic keratosis (AK), also known as a solar keratosis, is a crusty, scaly growth caused by damage from exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation. You'll often see the plural, “keratoses,” because there is seldom just one."

...Of course there is, and you are going to love it. Sex, sex and more sex. You may think I'm being frivolous, but the truth is, the prostrate makes and secretes prostrate fluid for your entire life. You need to keep releasing it, well that's what I told my missus. So if you are visiting and we happen to disappear upstairs, don't worry it's just my medicinal time, we'll be down again before too long...
Based on one case I'm aware of, apparently that kind of release on a regular basis is good for more than just prostate health. Decades ago the younger brother of one of my wife's childhood friends had contracted a severe bladder infection and was referred to a Urologist. By his own admission this younger brother had not had that kind of release for approximately three years, and the Urologist told him that the fluid that the prostate constantly produces had "backed up" in his system, causing the bladder infection. So, in addition to a prescription for antibiotics, the Urologist instructed him to go home and "get the poison out" at least once daily for the first two weeks, and at least once every month or so thereafter for the rest of his life. "But Honey, I'm just following my doctor's orders." :D

OldStrummer

Practically Family
Based on that clue, my entry in "Name that Skin Disease!" is, "actinic keratosis".

From skincancer.org
"An actinic keratosis (AK), also known as a solar keratosis, is a crusty, scaly growth caused by damage from exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation. You'll often see the plural, “keratoses,” because there is seldom just one."

Kee-rect! I'd previously had one or two small keratoses "burned" off by the application of liquid nitrogen. I guess it was too widespread on my pate, so the dermatologist just had me smear it with "miracle cream."

Tiki Tom

Yikes. Harvard says 21 times a month will greatly reduce your odds of prostate cancer.

https://www.menshealth.com/uk/healt...-a-month-to-slash-their-prostate-cancer-risk/

One hardly knows what to say. Health regimen or reason to be locked up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW