Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ice Cream !!!!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
Avocado Ice cream is surprisingly good, if you can get over the mental 'its a salad ingredient' thing.

I'm trying to imagine what that would taste like, though I pretty much think anything with avocado is a gift from heaven lol

I imagine that cucumber ice cream might be mighty tasty as well. No wait, cucumber sorbet!

I was going to buy my fella an ice cream maker for his birthday, but for the sake of both our waistlines, he said he'd prefer a new ipod instead.

EDIT: I'm seeing recipes online for cucumber mint sorbet, cucumber lime sorbet and cucumber avocado sorbet.

For package Ice Cream i aways gravitate to Breyers (original) Vanilla with the vanilla specs in it.

Hard to find out this way is Carvel. At the Merrick Road / Montauk Highway Carvel store in Lindenhurst, LI, NY they used to make some great soft serve special flavors like black cherry and PISTACHIO! A pistachio Carvel Shake is intensely awesome.

Carvel soft served is much more dense than other soft serve as they don't pump it fill of air.

Lemon sorbet with Mumm's Cordon Rouge Champagne spooned over it.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I almost forgot... my most memorable ice cream experiences:

Fanstastic lemon sorbet stuffed into a hollowed out lemon, at a restaurant in Majadahonda, a suburb of Madrid - when I was 13.

My dad always used to make ice cream when I was a kid in Central WA. He had an ice cream maker that was a large metal cylinder that sat inside a wooden type of barrel with metal rings around the outside. He loved making chocolate, coconut, and peach (from fresh local peaches). When he was done scraping the ice cream out of the metal cylinder, he'd put it out on the porch and one of the cats would always scramble to get into the cylinder, head to work, crawl out covered in ice cream, and then proceed to methodically lick himself clean.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I forgot to say that the most amazing ice cream I ever made was Parmesan cheese ice cream. It's savoury & rich & well, cheesy. Just thinking about it makes me want to get out the ice cream churn & make a batch. mmmmmmmm.

Chainsaw

Suspended
Reminds me of a gag add in Mad magazine, Spaghetti Popsicles! If you find yourself at an Indian restaurant the "Kulfi" (pistachio ice creme) is always nice.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
dhermann1 said:
an old fashioned hand cranked ice cream maker. You have to keep it moving or it turns to frozen glop. It was laborious but delicious.
Growing up we had one of these motorized versions but my father always said that the ice cream tasted better when you had to crank it. ;)

17d4b3ba-fc6f-40db-bb82-dadaad7da346_400.jpg

Qirrel

Practically Family
Mmmmmm. I have a lot of trouble keeping myself away from my motorized cranking ice cream maker. Last Friday i enjoyed an episode of Poirot with a bowl of hazelnut ice cream. I can also recommend cognac ice cream or vanilla ice cream with sherry for you connoiseurs out there.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
lolly_loisides said:
I forgot to say that the most amazing ice cream I ever made was Parmesan cheese ice cream. It's savoury & rich & well, cheesy. Just thinking about it makes me want to get out the ice cream churn & make a batch. mmmmmmmm.

That sounds really good! A French restaurant that I really like sometimes has a roquefort icecream as a starter with Bayonne ham and roast tomatoes. Really delicious!

Feraud

Bartender
KittyT said:
Fanstastic lemon sorbet stuffed into a hollowed out lemon, at a restaurant in Majadahonda, a suburb of Madrid - when I was 13.
There is an Italian restaurant in my neighborhood that serves their lemon sorbet that way. :)

Come to think of it they serve the best grilled calamari.. but that is for another thread.

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
Brad Bowers said:
I like vanilla.

Brad

Me too. If it's real vanilla and not the yellow, eggy kind.

This time next week I hope to be dipping into a nice cup of Solley's Farms Ice Cream, locally sourced just a couple miles down the road from where I'll be staying on the English southeast coast.

ExhibID_933_Graphic1.jpg

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Growing up we had one of these motorized versions but my father always said that the ice cream tasted better when you had to crank it. ;)

I'll second that one; I've had memorable sorbets and gelatos, but the best ice cream by far was the hand-churned vanilla that my granny used to make. Bar none. And this I remember from 25-30 years ago.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Chainsaw said:
Reminds me of a gag add in Mad magazine, Spaghetti Popsicles! If you find yourself at an Indian restaurant the "Kulfi" (pistachio ice creme) is always nice.

Over here we also get mango and almond Kulfi as pretty standard. I made a rose-flavoured one a while back. Not bad.

Classydame

One of the Regulars
I am not a huge ice cream fan. But I have to say Orkney Ice Cream was the best I ever had! Super creamy and smooth. Green tea ice cream is one of my favorites.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:

My family had one of these as well growing up, and we made vanilla or chocolate ice cream during the spring and summer holidays. Have only had the hand cranked variety a couple of times. I prefer the motorized version for the sake of timeliness, but the hand cranked does bring a certain sense of satisfaction. ;)

I got nostalgic for homemade ice cream last summer and bought a newer model of a motorized version (not as cool looking as the one above, but it works). Made some vanilla, and some of the best bacon cheeseburgers I've ever had for lunch beforehand.

Far as my favorites go for store bought, I like Breyers, the local Publix brand and a few others (vanilla, chocolate chip cookie dough and tin roof are favs). My favorite as a kid was strawberry shortcake at a 31 Flavors in Aurora, CO.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
For package Ice Cream i aways gravitate to Breyers (original) Vanilla with the vanilla specs in it.

Hard to find out this way is Carvel. At the Merrick Road / Montauk Highway Carvel store in Lindenhurst, LI, NY they used to make some great soft serve special flavors like black cherry and PISTACHIO! A pistachio Carvel Shake is intensely awesome.

Carvel soft served is much more dense than other soft serve as they don't pump it fill of air.

Lemon sorbet with Mumm's Cordon Rouge Champagne spooned over it.

A friend of mine from NY swears by Carvel's ice cream cakes. Are they really that good?

I forgot to mention Tastee Freez. Hadn't had that until I moved to Florida and the east coasters said I had to try it. I like their version of the Blizzard (I add pb cups).

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
lolly_loisides said:
I have an ice cream maker which I have had to stop using because I was making too much of the stuff.

Particular favourites were cream cheese flavoured ice cream (don't knock it till you've tried it) and lemon sorbet with vodka & chillies.

I have now tried both of your recipes and have but one thing to say - YUM! I'm more of a sorbet girl, myself, but I'll definitely be making the former for my mum (an ice cream addict) when she comes to visit. Cheers!

Mav

A-List Customer
Don't eat the stuff anymore, but we used to make it in a handcranked ice cream maker in the summers when I was a kid. Coffee was my favorite.

swinggal

One Too Many
I love deep-fried ice-cream balls. All the Chinese resturants here make them. It's frozen ball of vanilla ice cream, lightly dipped breadcrumbs and grated coconut then dipped the fryer for about 5 seconds until the coating goes brown. The ice cream stays hard inside and it's more like a light tempura than a thick, gross batter.

fried%20ice%20cream.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21