Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideas for free and inexpensive dates.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Fun

I love this kinda stuff!

If you are outdoorsy, hiking, biking, swimming, fishing, or just good old fashioned walking. Picnic lunch optional.

For the more urban amongst us, many old downtowns are being revitalized and offer fun shops to browse.

For the cooks, farmer's markets are great fun and usually have some cheap food vendors there as well.

For the sporty, bleacher seats at baseball games are often suprisingly affordable!

There are local parks and museums, state parks and museums and national parks and museums. Prices vary widely.

And there are always local festivals celebrating every imaginable thing. Check your local paper!

Fun does not need to be expensive! ;)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
No love for the gun range for a date? Guest passes are usually free! I guess some might take it the wrong way... but you can't say its not a blast. :D

-Viola

Viola said:
No love for the gun range for a date? Guest passes are usually free! I guess some might take it the wrong way... but you can't say its not a blast. :D

Indeed, unfortunately it also ain't cheap, at least around here! When I shoot my normal session, it's up to $250 in ammo being turned into smoke, noise and holes in paper, never mind lane fees, iron rental, targets... (Normal session is 500 rounds when I'm saturation-drilling, though.)

Can't beat a girl who shoots!

Rafter

Suspended
Going to the huge mega theme parks can be a very expensive.
A summer trip to a smaller venue such Playland Park in Rye, NY is just as enjoyable.

Dragnovl.jpg

This place has been on the edge of the Long Island Sound for almost 80 years. It's attractions are anchored by Art Deco architecture and formal gardens. Because of the well-preserved architecture and amenities, the park is on the registry of National Historical places -- the only Art Deco amusement park on the list. The park includes an ice rink, a boardwalk and beach, and acre upon acre of older (and some new) rides and attractions. Highlights are the Big (Ferris) Wheel, perfect for romantic smooching at the top, the Racing Derby is one of three left in the world, the Carousel, the bumper cars and the Old Mill are classics, and the wonderfully rickety-rackety Dragon Coaster. Arcade games round out the park.
I have been going to Rye Playland since I was a kid. At 33, I still love this place.

ferryengr

One of the Regulars
How about a ride across New York Harbor or San Francisco Bay on a ferry? Just riding over and back and only out for the view. ;) I've gone on a date like that before.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
There is a used book store here that offers lots of free events, everything from book signings to swing dancing. Check and see if your state has something like that! :)

Jay

Practically Family
These are some great ideas. Great alternatives for my usual coffee-and-cigarettes-at-a-24 HR-diner hideout. Wish I read through these earlier...

panamag8or

Practically Family
gluegungeisha said:
A gentleman took me to a graveyard for a date once. It was surprisingly interesting, but I wouldn't advise anyone to do that for a first date!...your date might think you're a bit morbid.

I second the picnic idea -- always lovely! Hikes and walks can be fun and very romantic, if he/she is up to it. My old boyfriend and I used to love going to Hallmark to read bad greeting cards to each other.

I did that once in high school. Good thing my date wasn't easily freaked out.

Dan G

One of the Regulars
I'd take someone to Arlington National Cemetery. Trouble is, all I gotta do is see a picture of it and it's all I can do to keep from bawling like a baby. God I love this country.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Dan G said:
I'd take someone to Arlington National Cemetery. Trouble is, all I gotta do is see a picture of it and it's all I can do to keep from bawling like a baby. God I love this country.

I went there once, and the eeriest thing was the guns firing all. day. long.

The changing of the guard is one of the coolest things ever.

Dan G

One of the Regulars
panamag8or said:
I went there once, and the eeriest thing was the guns firing all. day. long.

The changing of the guard is one of the coolest things ever.

It's definitely on my list of things to see. Boy those Honor Gaurd guys are really something aren't they!?! They click and shine everywhere they go. So cool.:cool:

The portable version of the Vietnam War Memorial wall was in Sandpoint a few years ago. Totally awe-inspiring. Of course, I bawled like a baby the whole time. I wasn't alone though.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Have a 'tourist day' around your city. Do all the hokie things travelers do. :) Get a travel guide from the library and just go nuts. Its such fun.

LD

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran