Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ideas for free and inexpensive dates.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
graveyards = yes, please!

flowers i can definitely do without, though, unless the person picked them on their way over to meet me.

some of my ideas have been mentioned already - book signings, free concerts, open mic nights, last/first/third thursday/friday/whateverday, farmer's market, biking or hiking, cheapo movies. another fun thing to do would be some sort of self-run novelty tour specific to your town. i can think of two in my city - i have a zine that lays out a vintage movie theater tour-by-bike; and also i've take the kid i nanny on a downtown fountain tour, which could also be great with a date (especially if it's hot, and you get IN the fountains :)). also, if there is a place nearby to go berry-picking or apple-picking, that's a lot of fun as well, and afterwards you can make jam or a pie together!

panamag8or

Practically Family
Dan G said:
It's definitely on my list of things to see. Boy those Honor Gaurd guys are really something aren't they!?! They click and shine everywhere they go. So cool.:cool:

The portable version of the Vietnam War Memorial wall was in Sandpoint a few years ago. Totally awe-inspiring. Of course, I bawled like a baby the whole time. I wasn't alone though.

I happened to be near the door to the guard room when they came out, and was able to follow them to the tomb area. It's a very solemn ceremony.

Dan G

One of the Regulars
panamag8or said:
I happened to be near the door to the guard room when they came out, and was able to follow them to the tomb area. It's a very solemn ceremony.

Thats awesome. I want to see it so bad.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Dan G said:
Thats awesome. I want to see it so bad.

You know the story of Arlington, right?

During the Civil war, the Union captured General Lee's house on top of a hill overlooking the Capitol. In an act of spite, Union General Miegs issued an order to have all the Union dead from the area battles buried in Lee's yard, so that no one would ever live there again. The house is open for tours, and it's pretty neat.

Dan G

One of the Regulars
panamag8or said:
You know the story of Arlington, right?

During the Civil war, the Union captured General Lee's house on top of a hill overlooking the Capitol. In an act of spite, Union General Miegs issued an order to have all the Union dead from the area battles buried in Lee's yard, so that no one would ever live there again. The house is open for tours, and it's pretty neat.

I'd heard the story, but forgotten till you said that. Wow, what a story. Thanks!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Hmmmm.... I guess I was hoping to find more ideas here! Many of the things suggested are actually kindof expensive, *depending on where you live*.

General admission to the Museum of Fine Arts here? $17.
picnic? How much would I spend on food to put together something nice?
Dollar theaters? Yeah, right! Movie here is about $15/person. No discount theaters.
Stargazing? Only if you have a car and gas to drive way outside of the city.
Window shopping? OK, but shopping is kindof depressing when you have no money?
Amusement parks? Pricey.
Tourist attractions? Pricey.
Arcades? Love em, but nothing that's affordable right in the city.

Seriously, I'm mostly stuck watching movies I already own/On Demand/Netflix and going to shows. Going to shows is actually less expensive than most other things there are to do in Boston. I do live near a beach, so walks along the beach are all right. Also board games (scrabble!) are good and fun and doing crosswords together can be fun too. Other than that, I'm long out of ideas.

Sweet Polly Purebred

A-List Customer
In art school we were encouraged to scavange as much as possible. I could never be bothered to do it when I was out, I'd just forget because I had places to go people to see ..

However, I think it's a lot of fun to spend the day with a scavanging theme alongside a "pal" . It takes the pressure off when it comes to creating conversation, you learn a lot about eachother because you see or find things that remind you of stories of your life, plus if you find enough goofey stuff, you can have an afternoon of getting 'crafty' afterwards, leaving you with bits and pieces that you've made together that quite possibly, one day, will remind you of those days mucking around in alley ways .. It feels less like a date and more like being 11 hanging out with your best friend.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Here's some more

Do volunteer work together
Go fly a kite
Rollerskate
Read to each other (I recommend The Princess Bride)
Build sandcastles
Ice skate
Bake or cook together
Walk in the city parks
Visit smaller, more obscure museums (often cheaper or donation only)
Check your newspaper for free concerts/plays often in the parks
Look for free lecture series at local colleges or universities
Look for student art shows at local univeristies (often free)

And maybe I'm weird, but I don't need a picnic to be grand. I think bologna sandwiches and apple juice on the beach is fantastic. If that isn't special enough, consider going french. Bread and cheese. Fresh French bread from my local grocery store runs about a dollar, and you can get a 1/4-1/2 lb of pretty good cheese for around $5. Throw in some fresh fruit from your fridge, and you're all set!

Happy dating!

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Hehe, speaking of dates on skates:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F2Rho_appBk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F2Rho_appBk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Joie DeVive said:
Rollerskate

I would die to find a guy who loved to rollerskate. However, most people are kindof intimidated by the idea of skating with a derby girl :)

Read to each other

Very good call. I frequently forget this, but it's so sweet.

Bake or cook together

I love cooking with a guy. It's very sexy and gives me a chance to boss him around and make him work a little. Here Daddy-O, I'll let YOU grate all this cheese! lol

Walk in the city parks

Kindof off-topic, but I did this once on a first date. It was early evening in Boston Common and we got mugged at knife-point. It was a grand time...

Zig2k143

Practically Family
panamag8or said:
Don't listen to zig, fares are cheaper to Florida.lol

Lol I love good competition...

Although I'm less then two hours from the best City in the world.... Lots of great swing clubs and vintage clothes shops... What ya got panamag8or?

panamag8or

Practically Family
Zig2k143 said:
Lol I love good competition...

Although I'm less then two hours from the best City in the world.... Lots of great swing clubs and vintage clothes shops... What ya got panamag8or?

The 2-time defending national basketball champs, and the defending football champs. Oh, and your pick of the Gulf or Atlantic beaches within 70 miles.

It's close, but you might have an edge.:rage:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran