Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Identifying A-1 Jacket

ShaneB

New in Town
Hi all - I'm new here and have got a question about an A-1 jacket, this jacket in particular:

$_57.JPG

There was on ebay that ended last night that I completely slept on unfortunately.

It's an A-1 jacket, though the design is more like a varsity and I can't find any inkling to it on the manufacturers that's listed within the description. Here's the ebay link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AVIREX-WW...zBkKwVNbLGRRPzYpyLpXM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Any help is appreciated!

ShaneB

New in Town
I've had a look at Cockpits current products and they don't have anything like this unfortunately.

I guess they've stopped making it / discontinued? Unfortunate as it's a great, practical design.

The Orvis version has been slated in the reviews. I might drop Cockpit an email.

zhz

Practically Family
You should email Bill's khakis. I think Cockpit build this jacket for them.

I've had a look at Cockpits current products and they don't have anything like this unfortunately.

I guess they've stopped making it / discontinued? Unfortunate as it's a great, practical design.

The Orvis version has been slated in the reviews. I might drop Cockpit an email.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
At the list price you could have Johnson Leather of San Francisco make you a custom jacket.
Those Orvis prices are ridiculous for what you get.

ShaneB

New in Town
I've sent an email to Bill Khakis about it so I'll see what they've got to say; failing that, I'll email Cockpit.

It's a fantastic design - I would have paid more than the winning bid, just slept on it. Problem won't see another one again!

thor

Call Me a Cab
I used to own one of these jackets; bought it direct from The Cockpit store in NYC (sold it afew years later). It was made of a nice grainy, lightweight russet leather (lambskin, if I'm not mistaken). Definitely a limited edition; mine was number of 357 of ??? (Don't remember the total number produced, maybe 1,000?). A high quality piece, for sure.

I saw it too, but I've had a bad experience with the seller where his measurements were off (more than an inch and a half). He wouldn't take it back, and so I won't buy from him again.

ShaneB

New in Town
I saw it too, but I've had a bad experience with the seller where his measurements were off (more than an inch and a half). He wouldn't take it back, and so I won't buy from him again.

That's poor! You could have forced the issue and opened a case via Ebay? If the item is misrepresented I guarantee Ebay would have found in your favour (infact Ebay almost always favours the buyer!).

Still waiting for a response from Bill Khakis; going to contact Cockpit as well though I'm not holding my breath! I wonder if Aero could modify their A-1 to mirror this one?

I ended up selling it on for minimal loss.
So, other than a bad taste for the seller, everything worked out ok.
EBay actually ruled on his side because "The following measurements are approximate only and not exact:" we're in the listing. I didn't expect them to be so far off though.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic