Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Idlewild New 1930s musical

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
This is a strange one. It is a new musical starring Outkast and set in the 30s. It may be a disaster or it may work out very well indeed. The trailer has energy and style, so I'm thinking, yeah, this could be good. And, if you didn't already know it, Andre Benjamin (aka Andre 3000) really should be on our list of style - or at least contemporary hat - icons, because:

Rapper ANDRE '3000' BENJAMIN is such a huge fan of headgear he now boasts a 100-strong hat collection.

The OUTKAST frontman, often lauded for his sense of style, admits he rarely feels dressed until he covers his head.

He tells FHM, "You're a special person in a hat. You can wear a T-shirt, but if you put on a hat, it's like having an accent on your name."

Here's a link to the trailer:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/idlewild/large.html

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh, Ive been 'bout it bout it' on this movie for months.

Im hoping to find out about hte constume designer, and praying to see if these styles catch on! :D

LD

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks like a fun film to see. I just saw a behind the scenes look on HBO, and the clothes look incredible. All that dancing is sure to make me want to learn how to dance. I'm hoping to see it next week. There are quite a few vintage inspired films coming out over the next few months. I know there is a thread about "Hollywoodland" and "Black Dhalia" looks really good as well, although I hear it's quite gruesome. Wouldn't it be nice if these movies prompted a return to the style that they are emulating?

Feraud

Bartender
Idlewild looks pretty good in the trailer. This film, along with Hollywoodland and Black Dahlia are on my "to see" list. It would be swell if these films influenced designers to create classic looking clothes. I can do without the "classic with a modern twist" look. :)

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I saw it and had a good time. It's pretty obvious that the film was directed by someone who's specialities are music videos. A lot of flash, but not too much substance. However, someone did their homework, and it does have the feel of the all black musical productions made during the 30s and the 40s (such as Cabin in the Sky) There is real vintage clothing featured in the film, and a part of the fun is finding them admist some fairly nice reproductions. (Andre 3000 sports some amazing elastic string suspenders) Also, the dance sequence is great, with some authentically rugged early 30's Lindy hop.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinatraStyle
Has anyone else seen this yet? I'd love to hear some more reviews before deciding whether or not to head to the theatre.

jake_fink said:
That's daring of you.

Why is that? With the cost of tickets I'd like to get a few reviews first. I put a bit more stock in Loungers' opinions than those of the "critics".

Girl Friday

Practically Family
SinatraStyle said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinatraStyle
Has anyone else seen this yet? I'd love to hear some more reviews before deciding whether or not to head to the theatre.

Why is that? With the cost of tickets I'd like to get a few reviews first. I put a bit more stock in Loungers' opinions than those of the "critics".
Ditto.

I'd rather stay at home and watch TMC. The reviews I have read say it looks cool but the plot is one that has been used several times before.

This is my favorite place for movie reviews: http://www.pajiba.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass