Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If Spielberg retired today...

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Well said, Jake...I'm a big fan of the Indy films myself, but as far as the whole franchise goes, I think it's had enough. At the risk of being shot / burned alive / hung / all three at once, I'm beyond the point of dressing like Indy...while the costume is a neat one and pretty true to the period, it's too easy. Put on a set of khakis, leather jacket, a brown fedora, you'll get the same reaction no matter how accurate you are or not...'Who do you think you are, Indiana Jones?' I did that when I was a kid. I'd rather find a nice vintage suit and create my own style.

If the fourth movie does get produced, I'm hoping it doesn't end up being to the Jones trilogy what the second Star Wars trilogy was to the first...just an overhyped cash cow, missing the basic soul of the original.

Not being a big follower of film or the current big names, I can't name names...I'd hope that Lucas would pick a director with a good track record of well-made films and a love for the era. As for the leads, if it's the 'Old Jones as a mentor to a new younger adventurer' that I've heard rumors about for years, I'm hoping that the apprentice is someone without a big name in Hollywood, some unknown that we'll not attach any other character to. Placing someone such as Ben Affleck in that role would create a train wreck.

I gained back some respect for Lucas when he said, (paraphrased) "I'm done with Star Wars, it's over. It's time to move on." People seem to forget films such as The Battle for Endor. Let's hope that a fourth Jones film doesn't suffer the same fate, or Lucas just decides to leave well enough alone as far as the Jones franchise is concerned.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
just a quickie...

Calico: yes, I think Lives of a Bengal Lancer is a great movie too. I watched both that and Gunga Din with my old man when I was a kid so they are both equally near and dear to my heart. Gary Cooper would make an excellent Indiana Jones an dhe even almost dressd the part in For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Wingnut: the "old Jones as mentor to a younger adventurer" idea sounds to awful to be true. That means they'd be moving the series out of the period and into the fifties and sixties. Yuk. Why don't they just make an adventure film set in the thrities and leave Indiana Jones alone.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Actually, if the sequel was made in the 1940s

Since nazis were the enemies in the first and third Jones movies how about the Japanese in the next.
Alan Ladd could play Jones
William Bendix as his sidekick
Loretta Young as the woman he's helping and falls for.
It could take place in China as the Japanese roll in.

China4.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035735/

tongue in cheekedly,
The Wolf

RyFranzese24

Familiar Face
I'm just happy we don't have to replace any of them! Although, of the modern day people, I would agree with Joe Johnston for director. I loved Rocketeer-who didn't- and I loved Hidalgo, even though it did very little business. And he did a very admirable job with Jurassic Park III. If not Johnston, a good modern day director is also Chris Columbus. I loved his Harry Potter's, and he wrote The Goonies! Both of them would be able to find the comedy in it without making it hokey. And I love the idea of David Koepp on script, and Conrad Hall for cinematography. This is almost a sin, but if not John Williams, James Newton Howard, James Horner, or Howard Shore.

Well, I guess it is all blasphemy if we are talking about replacing Spielberg, Williams, or anyone else integral....just as long as there is no thread about replacing the man with the hat.

Steve

Practically Family
I'd like to see what Peter Jackson could do as the director of Indiana Jones.

And if John Williams wasn't around to compose one of his epic, brass-heavy scores, I'd pick either Klaus Badelt or Hans Zimmer.

And as to screenwriting; after the job they did on The Lord of the Rings, I'd be content with Philippa Boyens or Fran Walsh working on the screenplay.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Director: Sergio Leone
Music: Fabio Frizzi (Italian horror music writer) working w/Bill Conti (Rocky)
Camera: Matty Libatique (Pi, Requiem for a Dream)
Writer: David Peoples (12 monkeys, Unforgiven, Blade Runner)

Villains: Rutger Hauer & Dolph Lundgren as Russos. John Leguizamo as the Georgian/Armenian relic hunter.

Heroes: John Rhys Davies again. Adam Baldwin as the good russo. Catherine McCormack as the IndyGirl. Cary Elwes as Indy.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Steve said:
I'd like to see what Peter Jackson could do as the director of Indiana Jones.
There'd be way to much CGI if he got control. I'd want to see someone like Francis Ford Coppola or Robert Zemeckis, as they want to best carry out the legacy of their buds Lucas and Spielberg (or so I'd hope).

RyFranzese24

Familiar Face
ITG said:
There'd be way to much CGI if he got control. I'd want to see someone like Francis Ford Coppola or Robert Zemeckis, as they want to best carry out the legacy of their buds Lucas and Spielberg (or so I'd hope).

I love Zemeckis. He is one my favorites. Excellent choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80