Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If "vintage" became the style of the next decade would you change yours?

Tiller

Practically Family
I was wondering if the vintage style became "in" again, how many of you would change? Would you keep the style because you enjoy it, and had it first so you wouldn't let everyone else force you to change. Or would you start dressing in a different style, perhaps more or less how people do today so you aren't just one of the "masses"? Personally I like the vintage style, because... I like it, and could care less if everyone dressed like me or not. I wouldn't change.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I'd go with the aspects of it I luv to death, especially if it were cheap! but I'd leave what I don't luv alone.Much as I do with current fashion.If I don't like it, I don't buy it.[huh]

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I'm not really big on following trends-- if I see something I like, I wear it. If what I like to wear is currently in style, it is just more accessible. Abandoning something because it has become a fad is really silly, IMNSHO-- it is like those kids in high school who do EVERYTHING different simply to be different-- they may love something one minute, but the second it becomes popular, they hate it with every ounce of their being.

I think that my love for vintage will outlive any style resurrection and subsequent death; the look may become "popular" again, but those who love it will keep it up, right on through the end of the fad, to the next revival of 90's grunge look or 70's disco look.

In short, no I wouldn't.

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
bruce wayne said:
one thing that popped into my mind while reading this thread is if vintage becomes mainstream, it probally will be come harder or at the least more expensive to purchase what we like.

I was actually thinking about that the other day-- what if someone who dressed vintage won American Idol or something? Can you imagine how much the prices on EBAY and in Vintage shops would hike up? It would be ridiculous, and I'd be wearing even more repro and even less actual vintage. I suppose it wouldn't be so hard on the sewers-- I have plenty of vintage patterns to make a nice wardrobe out of, but those who don't have that skill might find themselves considerably lighter in the pocketbook.

I'm pretty much set in "WWII mode" for the rest of my life. Details may vary, though--if I see a horde of other "Mini-Me MacArthurs" I may have to allow the "Pint-Size Patton" streak to show a little more. Only way I'm inclined to step outside of WWII for personal style, though, would be to consider a no-insignia repro of my grandfather's last Air Force dress-uniform (Maggie, you oughtta love that--when my grandfather was in, the dress uniform for USAF Sarges required a bow-tie!;) ), or dressing to reflect an Earp Bros. influence.

No matter how you cut it, I'm still an anachronistic personality and I intend for my style to reflect it.

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - Attacking a Star Destroyer
via FoxyTunes

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Pros and cons, like everything else...

Personally speaking....I don't care what other people do: I was wearing a tie with three-piece suits and a hard straw hat in junior high school in the later 1960s, which was about as countercultural as one could get (not that the "nonconformists" were interested in seeing that!)...but I felt at that time, and still do, that I'd be delighted if everyone else joined in and did the same: I just like the look, and think the world would be a prettier, if not necessarily a better, place if everyone dressed more formally.

Yes, real vintage clothing would undoubtedly become more expensive (I was buying victorian furniture for pennies when "Victorian" was the greatest slur you could say about something)...and I'm glad I did, because now that it's become acceptable, I couldn't buy the same things again.

On the other hand, the repro market booms when things become popular: buy then! because once it STOPS being popular....you'll wish you had. A good, recent example was the sudden interest in American Craftsman style in the later '90s: there were reproductions of everything...of varying qualities and prices...for a while. Now? not so much.

To thine own self be true....and surf the trends as much, or as little, as you like!

"Skeet"

pigeon toe

One Too Many
40's inspired fashion was in a few seasons ago and I LOVED it. It makes buying cute clothes cheaply easy again. I don't have a ton of money, so I'm always happy when classic styles become popular again because it's easier to find what I like.

Like when high-waisted jeans came into fashion my life became a thousand times easier. The only option for me when it came to jeans before was low-rise jeans. Now I can find high-waisted jeans almost anywhere.

Vintage styles seem to be coming back in again. I was in Forever 21 recently and saw that their more expensive line (we are still talking around $20-30 per item though, so cheap!), was very 20's-30's inspired. Great colors, great art deco detailing. Not really up my alley, but I could definitely see some of the ladies on here wearing their stuff.

Buying vintage is wonderful, but not always practical. So I'm always pleased as a peach when I can buy vintage looking things new.

Brooksie

One Too Many
No I would not change, I like my vintage style and have had it a good long while and it did not matter what the trends were I still kept it over the years.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I can't buy much actual vintage as far as clothing, just mostly vintage-inspired pieces (I'm not a size two dress with a size 5 shoe so...) so I fully encourage all the pieces I like appearing in Target and then the next season in the thrift store. The only things I'll actually have to fight the hordes for are homegoods and accessories and even there I'll gladly take replicas.

I'm rather pleased to see all the high-waisted pencil skirts coming back. And the mirrored Hollywood Regency-style furniture.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
probably more bladerunnerish mish mash where art deco meets george jetson ;)

but all kidding aside ... you will be wearing some sort of vintage inspired garb anyway because many designers are always pulling the good stuff from the past & incorporating it with their own ... the classic man tux and overcoat hasn't been altered much in the past 75 years [huh]

American Vintage Fashion

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Vintage Influences" have come in and out of style more times than I can remember since I've been choosing my own clothes, so it's no big deal really. Most of what I wear, other than shoes, underwear, and coats, I make myself, so I don't pay much attention to what's in or out of fashion as far as everyday clothes are concerned. I don't dress the way I do to either follow a trend or align myself with a subculture -- I dress the way I do because I happen to like it, I always have, and because I'm a stubborn flinty Maine gal, I don't see any reason to change.

I will say though that the main advantage for me in a Vintage Trend would be wider availablity of decent shoes, although I can't stand most of the "modern interpretations" of vintage footwear: the heels are usually too high, the vamps are usually too low, and the quality of construction is usually shabby. But every once in a while somebody comes out with a decent shoe in a reasonable style, and I grab it if I can afford it. I guess it's too much to hope that "union made in the USA" quality footwear will come back in style, but if it does, I'll be first in line to support that particular trend.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
No, I wouldn't change my style if vintage were the style of the next decade. I might change it afterward, though--I've never thought that being ten years out of date was a good look.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I don't dress like I do to be different. I never really liked the idea of being different. I do like being me, though, not what others want me to be. If, by some chance, the day comes that being me does not make me different, all the better. [huh]

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
I have gravitated toward a specific style/styles since I was a teen, and I would continue to stick to it. Sometimes my sense of style has really stood out, sometimes not so much. (I even had a vintage 40s suit in the mid 80s, which was kind of the opposite of 80s fashion, but it wasn't so outlandish among other jazz musicians).

I would like to have the things I like be easier to find, though.

Geesie

Practically Family
Paisley said:
No, I wouldn't change my style if vintage were the style of the next decade. I might change it afterward, though--I've never thought that being ten years out of date was a good look.

That would be my concern as well. I do hope, though, that I could come up with something to stand out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn