Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you could only wear one hat, what color would be ideal?

OddHatter

New in Town
Hello friends.

I've been searching around the forum trying to find a thread or response where members share their opinion/rationale on the ideal hat color and can't seem to find it. My guess is there must be something but I'm at a loss where it would be. I also recognize the subjective nature of the question, but I can't imagine men from back in the day having massive collections. My thought is they most likely had that one trusty lid they wore 'til the cows came home. I'm wondering what that ideal, most versatile color would be because I'm seriously considering getting an expert - I'm sure someone here would know of someone - to make me a hat. Kinda like what I've seen Adventurebilt do, but something more along the lines of what Bogie wore in the Maltese Falcon (I've been consuming the Bogart's Fedora thread). I've thought about Akubra's Fed IV - almost pulled the trigger with the moonstone color - when I thought, why not go all out? Why not spend the money for a fine 100% beaver felt custom job just for me. One that can be my prime go-to through thick and thin and maybe end up being buried with it, you know? No need for any more hats or a massive collection, just one versatile, pragmatic well-made and great looking hat. Basically, like how Indiana Jones had his famed fedora, well... maybe Dan could have one too.

That brings me to the color dilemma: what is the ideal color for both casual jeans/khakis, and a smart suit. My thought at first was the light grey with a black ribbon. Than I thought that Indy had it right with the dark brown and matching ribbon. Than I thought about a darker gray with matching or perhaps black ribbon which may offer more contrast with sports coats? My normal dress is jeans/khakis and either polos of various colors or button downs. I rarely wear suits but do wear a sports coat (usually matched with dark jeans or charcol slacks) when going out. Naturally, the occassional family event requiring a suit is there, but again, not too often. I guess you could say my daily "style" is smart casual with earth tones primary and some color accents (polos, etc.). So I'm leaning again towards brown ala Indy, but with a "Bogart cut" (is there such a thing?).

I think you see my problem. I would hate to spend all the money (and for me we're talking a whole lot of money) and feel like I got the wrong color or one that just won't go with fill-in-the-blank shirt/jacket/etc. Ideally, I should be able to close my eyes and just dress and the hat will somehow pull it all together, just like I imagine men did back in the day when they really only owned one or two hats anyhow. Any thoughts would be appreciated as I feel I can't be the only one who pondered this question. Again, I'm sorry if this was addressed elsewhere but I couldn't, for the life of me, find it.

Dan

p.s. I should probably add that when jacket-wearing season rolls around, I'm usually wearing some kind of insulated vest and sweatshirt, khaki zip-up, insulated plaid hoodie, or either my old but awesome pea coat from my Navy days, or a brown leather jacket - all depending on the temps. I just got a dark green/gray trench for the rain (like I said, been absorbing Bogart a lot), but probably won't wear it more than a dozen times in a year. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Gray. Neutral (like the 17% reflective gray cards used in light metering) gray. I wonder how they arrived at that ultimately versatile shade for hats.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Silverbelly, which is really just a very light grey, is probably the most universal because it fits ok with everything but the most formal situations, and also fits in well with the informal, and so common in the thin-ribbons (OR, San Ant, Strats, etc). It also requires a lot less maintenance - for those that might think black is the most useful (it does go with everything), black requires substantial maintenance. Normal 'dust' just makes a silverbelly look better.

GregNYC

One Too Many
I agree with gray or silverbelly. But I also think that in practice the question will turn out to be moot. For one thing, you won't be ably to have just one hat if the hat bug has bitten you as it has me! But two, extending the question to its logical conclusion, I think colors only have meaning in relation to each other. Imagine a world that is exactly the shade of that ideal gray. No difference even in lighting or shadow. We wouldn't even be able to see color!

For jeans, I like old-skool navy blue, the way selvage denim looked before it was washed. Or maybe after one or two washings/dryings. I'm not a "stone-washed" fan! For khakis, I really like the Vietnam-era cotton khaki that we were issued.

Sorry, I've gone off-topic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommyK

One Too Many
I like a medium grey fedora with a black ribbon, it's classic in every sense. But if you wear a lot of earth tones, and this is your only hat from now on a silverbelly Open Road style hat is the way to go. The thin ribbon looks casual, it looks good with jeans and it looks okay with a suit in a pinch. Silverbelly goes with darn near everything. It's a nice really light warm grey that also doesn't attract a lot of heat in the summer.

$.02

Edward

Bartender
A grey that's neither too brown in tone nor too much of a blue/black undertone. In particular, it needs a self-colour ribbon. The right grey will look great with a brown jacket, unless it has a black band...

Though tbh, for a single, only-hat I'd be looking at a cap if you live somewhere where there's enough wind to lift a brim some days. But I'm assuming that's not an issue here and you're covered on that front...

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Not being a city slicker & nor is sartorial elegance high on my list of priorities I'm with Indy on this, a dark rich brown with a slightly darker hued head band or ribbon.........brown goes with everything, especially adventure..:rolleyes:

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Yes brown or grey, but if only one then grey, oh hang on...no brown, no grey, definitely grey, oh...I can't decide, but definitely one of them, oh hang on what about silverbelly...!

I think I see now why I have so many hats!

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Not my color of choice, and I'm bored with it, but Silverbelly seems to work best for me. It's the color hat that I get the most positive comments on. It's also pretty versatile and can be worn with most anything. The darker colors tend to age me, I think. No black hats though! At least not for me, except for maybe Westerns.

Last edited:

MCrider

A-List Customer
If your plan includes wearing the vest in cooler weather, then I'd agree with a thin ribbon in silverbelly. Personally for me the medium grey is the most versatile. I also agree with others though, if you like wearing fedoras you won't stop at one!

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face
For me brown, with a dark ribbon. I thought my moonstone grey Fed IV would go with everything, but it doesn't. This would be different if I still wore suits.

This is for fedoras, I kinda feel that most western hats would go with anything I have. Well, I probably couldn't pull off a purple one. :D

fedoracentric

Banned
Something in a medium gray with a black ribbon and between a 2-1/2 inch and 2-7/8 inch brim... probably a Whippet. If that was the only hat I could have it would be that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner