Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you had to buy a new car.....

Roger

A-List Customer
A Ford is a Ford

If you're looking for a new car or even a good used one, I'd choose a Lincoln Town Car or Lincoln LS. Town Car; rides good, handles well for it's size, rear drive, body on frame construction. LS; excellent ride, excellent handling, excellent power. If they're too pricey at the new level for you then go with the Mercury Marquis/Ford Crown Victoria. They run forever. Even that Volvo knockoff Ford 500/ Mercury Montego is nice. If fuel efficiency is your cup of tea then the Focus will satisfy your needs. I own a 2000 Lincoln Town Car and a 1998 Navigator. Both are wonderful cars. (Bought used). :cheers1:

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Roger,

I know that the colored text looks cool, but the only thing I could make out of your post was the "cheers" smiley. Stick to regular text if you want us to be able to read your posts...just a thought.

:cheers1:

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Lauren Henline said:
I have a new VW beetle and my mom has a Passat. They are a pain in the butt because service is so dang expensive, and the serviceman that does my oil changes and whatnot told me that VW purposefully made it so that you would have to go to their dealers for the "big" work. They're cute cars, but I'm always having problems with mine.

If I could have any new car, I'd get a mini, but since they're very high on the list of stolen cars I'm still trying to think out what my next car will be.

I saw a Mazda 3 the other day and I liked the body. I'll have to look into it more, though.

If we could get them here, I love the Smart Car.
Almost everyone I've talked to in the past ten years who has owned a Volkswagen has complained about the number of repairs needed and the cost.

I wouldn't touch a Mini with a ten-foot pole. A co-worker of mine is on his third Mini, the first was a total lemon and had to be replaced, the second one caught fire and burned to the ground seconds after a very minor fender-bender (he hit someone from behind at less than 10 MPH).

I might go for a Mazda, I think they have nice styling, in general, and they have a good reputation for reliability.

Bebop

Practically Family
After having a couple of friends and neighbors that spent too much on electrical problems on their VW beetles, I would not chance it. When the Mini first came out I test drove it and could certainly understand why everyone fell in love with it but after reading the reliability complaints, I would not go for the mini either. I did not think I would like an SUV but after test driving the Honda Pilot, I have to say it is my favorite of the cars I have test driven. Roomy, quick, quiet, reliable, plush interior. My wife drives a 97' Honda CRV that has 200,000 trouble free miles on it and it does make me lean towards the Pilot. The Chrysler 300C that I test drove was not only too small inside but it stalled at a stop light and hesitated when put into reverse. That left a bad taste for the great body style. On the recommendation of many people but with some hesitation, I am going to test drive a Lexus later this week. I may be comparing apples to oranges but I'll give it a shot.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
The most reliable vehicle I ever had...

Was an 85 Toyota Standard Bed Pickup Truck. I didn't even have a model designation, just Standard Bed Pickup. I kept it for 11 years and even totaled it out in a wreck fixed it with the insurance money. I had to sell it when I hit hard times, what a shame. I bet it's still running. Only got $2000 for it but it was worth more than that to me.

stbdtack

New in Town
If remotely in your price range, the new Audi's are wonderful -- and you get free maintenance for the first 40K miles. . .

Wouldn't trade my new A8 for any Mercedes or BMW. . .

Mycroft

One Too Many
I am a fan of Volvos, quailty wise and for their gas milage. Though I like the Crysler 300. Ford Thunderbirds and Dodge Charges in black only for all of them. I think cars today are not so "fat" and heavy looking. So I am trying to go vintage.

Roger

A-List Customer
Good Choices

The cars you mention are all worthwhile choices. With the globalization of the automobile industry all three have or are knock offs. The 300 C is the Canadian built Mercedes S-class with a Mexican made 360 Hemi, the Thunderbird is a two-seat version of the Lincoln LS which is the American version of the Jaquar S-type. (Ford has discontinued the Thunberbird this year. It may reappear as a Lincoln) and the Volvo's can be found in the form of Ford 500/Mercury Montego (S-80) and Focus (S-40). The engines may be different to reflect the brand but the structure of the platform is the same. :hamburger I hope this text is more readable. As for "fat", "heavy", "vintage", then the Lincoln Town Car is the choice; V-8, body on frame, they don't make them like this anymore. And I get 25 mpg on the highway. :hamburger :cheers1:

Mycroft

One Too Many
Roger said:
The cars you mention are all worthwhile choices. With the globalization of the automobile industry all three have or are knock offs. The 300 C is the Canadian built Mercedes S-class with a Mexican made 360 Hemi, the Thunderbird is a two-seat version of the Lincoln LS which is the American version of the Jaquar S-type. (Ford has discontinued the Thunberbird this year. It may reappear as a Lincoln) and the Volvo's can be found in the form of Ford 500/Mercury Montego (S-80) and Focus (S-40). The engines may be different to reflect the brand but the structure of the platform is the same. :hamburger I hope this text is more readable. As for "fat", "heavy", "vintage", then the Lincoln Town Car is the choice; V-8, body on frame, they don't make them like this anymore. And I get 25 mpg on the highway. :hamburger :cheers1:

I remeber my father had a Lincoln Town Car and so did my Grandparents, very nice cars, loved the later models with the digital screen that told you your exact speed. Wow, they discontiued the T-bird, shame, it was encuraging good style. Also, I have seen the new Lincoln concepts and they are nice. I think also the Hunidi(sp) Tiberon (sp) has a lot of classic elements.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Lauren Henline said:
I have a new VW beetle and my mom has a Passat. They are a pain in the butt because service is so dang expensive, and the serviceman that does my oil changes and whatnot told me that VW purposefully made it so that you would have to go to their dealers for the "big" work. They're cute cars, but I'm always having problems with mine.
Yeah, my dad warned me of this when I bought my Jetta back 6 years ago. A few years back my dad informed me that if I ever got another VW, he would refuse to work on it for me due to how difficult the parts are to get to. I haven't had major troubles with it so far. Mainly just electrical issues when I go to lock it. But I love how well it handles on the road and the blue and red dashboard color scheme at night.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
I'd stick with what I have now only the newer model, F150 King Ranch Edition.

KingRanch.jpg

The interior is saddle leather. There's not much finer leather than this.

KingRanchInterior.jpg

shamus

Suspended
Our Jetta 03 had a some electrical problems too. Turned out our battery was low. New battery = no probs. They're so touchy that they need just the right amount of juice or you have problems.

and call me old school, but leather seats as an option for trucks is just wrong. Trucks are for work, not sunday drives.

Aaron Hats

Vendor
Trust me, I don't baby this truck. I haul firewood, trash to the dump, shovel gravel and mulch out of the bed and right now the back seat is full of my hunting gear including my vest, blaze orange western hat, boots, extra clothes, shooting toolbox, targets, used and unused ammo. There's no reason my ass can experience a little comfort though. :cheers1:

Sin Khan

Familiar Face
After looking at the posts in this thread and giving it another thought, i agree that the chysler 300c is a great can for anyone who wears vintage clothing and wants to get in the mood so to speak. The car if filled to the brim with art deco styling. In many ways, the 300c is an instant clasic car

ITG

Call Me a Cab
shamus said:
Our Jetta 03 had a some electrical problems too. Turned out our battery was low. New battery = no probs. They're so touchy that they need just the right amount of juice or you have problems.

Yes same here...although my battery isn't the original one. I have 74,000 miles on my 99 Jetta and I'm in need of my 3rd battery. My mom took my car to the car wash the other day to vacuum it out for me. While there, the battery ran down just from having the doors opened. If I just sit in my car for 10-15 minutes with the key in the ignition listening to the radio (gas turned off), the battery gets zapped. Gotta get it fixed soon.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Aaron Hats said:
I'd stick with what I have now only the newer model, F150 King Ranch Edition.

KingRanch.jpg

The interior is saddle leather. There's not much finer leather than this.

KingRanchInterior.jpg

My friend got that last month, and it is confortable! Man, can recmend a place to get a gun rack for the back(it is a gag gift).

Bebop

Practically Family
Sin Khan said:
After looking at the posts in this thread and giving it another thought, i agree that the chysler 300c is a great can for anyone who wears vintage clothing and wants to get in the mood so to speak. The car if filled to the brim with art deco styling. In many ways, the 300c is an instant clasic car
It might be an instant classic car but it is not worth much if it stalls at a stop light and also takes about 5 seconds to get in to gear from park (as I posted before). It may have been the particular car I test drove but it makes me wonder what else would happen as time goes by.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Another lovely thing about owning a VW- you need to replace more apparatus than brake pads when you need new brake pads. GAH! Got the bill today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo