Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm back online

Stoney

Practically Family
I've been unable to communicate with my many friends here on the forum due to problems I have having with my ISP, Charter Cable. I have had no Internet access at home for over a year. I'm back online now using an NTelos wireless network adapter and I'm now looking forward to, once again, commiserating with my fellow hat addicts.

I have to say that Charter is the most obnoxious company that I have ever dealt with. I tried numerous times to get the service repaired and spent several days off work while the technicains said that the problem was on the trunk line and the trunk line guys kept saying that the trunk line was good. They ended up charging me for the entire year that I was unable to use the service. the sad thing is that after they finally agreed to disconenct me, they called back to offer the service to me again. No thanks.

Has anyone else had this type of experience with them?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Your problems with Charter this last year may have been related to their pending bankruptcy proceedings. It's not unusual for customer service to suffer during reorganization. Mind you, it sounds odd that they would demand payment (and that you would pay) for service when none was rendered.

Stoney

Practically Family
I thought it more than odd that they would charge me and I was very reluctant to pay. However, sometimes it's better to just let it go then try to fight it.
The Charter folks were terrible to deal with.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Stoney said:
I thought it more than odd that they would charge me and I was very reluctant to pay.

Charter failed its contractual obligation, Stoney.
Should a similar scenario ever occur, hold back the bucks buddy. :)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Welcome back, Stoney!

I'd go nuts without some kind of Internet access at home! lol Of course, I'm an IT guy so I use it constantly both at home and work.

I've not had experience with your ISP, but I have been using Hughes.net (started on DirecWay) for over 5 years now. I cannot emphasize enough how much I HATE Hughes.net!:rage: :rage: :rage: Poor, expensive service and if you download too much in a short period of time they choke your bandwidth down to less than dial-up and keep it that way for 24 hours to punish you. It's their "Fair Access Policy." I set it off the other day by downloading about 120MB of device drivers over an hour's time. :rage: :rage: :rage: I'm paying $75 a month (and paid $500 installation in 2004) but it's been the only game in town in my area. Hughes.net's business plan seems to be "If you're coming to us for broadband, bend over!"

I considered trying to go the cellular route (even recommended it to one of my users and she was able to go that way and is happy with it) but I barely get a signal at my house with either my AT&T work phone or my Verizon personal phone.

I've just found out that a local ISP that provides wireless broadband service may be able to reach my house. I'm planning on having them come out and do a site survey as soon as I've done a full wipe and reload on my computer system. If they can reach me, I'll be off of Hughes.net that day! $300 installation, but about half the monthly cost and no "Fair Access Policy"! I'm praying I'm in their service area.

Anyway, It's good to see you again! I'm glad to hear you've found an alternative. Hopefully, I have, too.

Cheers,
Tom

Peacoat

Bartender
Stoney, I too have Charter and have had problems with the company. It refused to honor the original pricing agreement it made when cable was installed in this area, and I am unable to find the paperwork that spelled it out. Doubt that the company would honor the agreement even if I found the paperwork. Based on my past dealings with the company, it would probably require a lawsuit to get it to honor what it originally agreed to. Unfortunately, Charter is the only game in town. I understand your situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran