Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Images of America Book Series, Anyone?

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Has anyone read any of the Images of America series?

http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/

I keep seeing them pop up in my recommendations on Amazon and they look great!

Titles like "Los Angeles Art Deco", "Copocabana", "Central Park", they seem right up our collective alley.

Which titles would you recommend?

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
I actually own several books from this series on local subjects. Great books! And I'm currently trying to put together one on a subject near and dear to Ashtabula County residents- the many covered bridges in the area. Neat series and any more one can find them at almost any bookstore. There website lists hundreds of them, searchable by subject or location I believe. (It's been a while since I've checked it out.)

Flivver

Practically Family
This is a really great series of books because they cover rather obscure topics using great vintage photographs. The scope of the subjects they cover is mindboggling!

For example they've done at least a dozen books about cities and towns in Central Massachusetts (where I live)...an obscure topic if there ever was one!

The retail price of these books is a bit high for small paperbacks, but I have found them remaindered and used at about $5 each.

Caroline

One of the Regulars
I like them ok. Let me think about what I would recommend. Certainly worth the money for a used copy on any area you're interested in. Personally I'm a little bitter about them because the one regarding my neighborhood has a shot of my block at every possible angle, except for the one that would include my house, darnit!

Caroline

One of the Regulars
OK, as far as New England goes, I really like the "Diners of the North Shore" - great photos! And "Provincetown" ones, both volumes, are pretty unique!

The rest of the USA I haven't explored!

kerouacgrl

New in Town
I have a few of these books and really like them. A friend of mine actually co-wrote two of them: "Detroit's Belle Island: Island Park Gem" and "R.E. Olds and Industrial Lansing". So, I would, of course, highly recommend those two titles... :p

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I love them! I have "South Jersey Movie Houses" and it was an EXCELLENT guide for when I actually went around and took my "Before and After" pics of the places.

Now I'd just like a "Philadelphia Movie Houses" one :)

hepkitten

One of the Regulars
These were invaluable to me when I was researching my novel. I ended up with about half a dozen, all covering some aspect of Chicago. Some of them are so narrowly focused, they seem almost comical--<i>Chicago's State Street Christmas Parade</i> will never crack a bestseller list!--but they're a researcher's and nostalgia buff's dream. Photos and text were interesting and helpful in almost all the books, and the authors are great contacts for more information. And finally, knowing that these images are being preserved and shared just plain makes me happy. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner