Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Impressions and images of my new Akubra Federation IV in Carbon Grey

MattJH

One Too Many
The Federation is probably the most talked about hat in this forum, so pardon me for adding to what is now a dime-a-dozen post, but it was exceptional enough for me to justify rambling on about.

Over the years, I've purchased and sold Baileys, Stetsons, Dobbs, Borsalinos, Barbisios, Crofut & Knapps, Churchills, Stevens... you name it, and it's probably gone through my hands. As most of you know from my constant blabbering about them, the only vintage hats I still own are a MacLachlan, a Knox bowler, a Stetson Whippet, and a Dobbs 20. If I'm not completely satisfied with a hat, it tends to get sold in exchange for another attempt at finding something that truly works for me.

This method of mine has caused me to post that I was selling all of my vintage hats to just buy Akubra, to vice-versa, to saying I'll only wear stingy-brims to vice-versa, and then some. The posts I've made in the past mostly reflect the growing pains of somebody trying to find something that works for them perfectly, you know?

I love the ones I already own, and I'm waiting for another few to arrive in the mail. After all, this isn't just a preference in clothing, but it's a collector's thing as well. I just won't keep anything that I don't think looks good on me, and I never purchase anything that won't fit my big, Polish head.

It's been a long, long time coming, but I've finally found the perfect modern hat, and I mean it this time. The Akubra Federation IV is exactly what I've been looking for -- not in vintage, but in modern. From the second I put it on, I knew it. There was no feeling-out period, no attempts at alternate creasing or brim bends or whatever. This is the first time I've ever experienced finding a hat that worked out of the box.

I've owned two Federation IIIs and sold them because, at the risk of sounding brash, I hated them because they don't look right on me and I didn't like that they didn't look right on me. It's amazing what a few seemingly minor changes in dimensions and measurements can do, though, isn't it?

Below are three photographs of the hat followed with a picture of myself wearing it. I very rarely post pictures of myself, and this one will be removed in the next few days, but I wanted to show it off.

The creasing is done 100% dry. It has been rained on since, though. Actually, drenched through and through. It was utterly unfazed. This is the kind of bash that I like, and every part of it is intentionally unintentional. I don't like sharp brim swoops, so I just kind of trained it down a slight bit. The bash is a random concoction. I did the front pinch first, exactly how I like it, and then just pushed the crown down in the way that it wanted. It sounds lame, but I listened to the felt. It's asymmetrical but, for me, it's pure perfection. I spent about 30 seconds creasing it, honestly.

I ordered a brown about 2 hours after receiving this one, and that's only because it took 2 hours for me to get to a computer. I toyed with the idea of getting a Deluxe, but purposely chose another Standard. With a Deluxe, I'll end up worrying about it a little bit because it'd be more expensive, but I don't want to worry, and I'm so pleased with the Standard already that I wanted to know what I was getting rather than risk disappointment in some way.

01-federation-grey.jpg

02-federation-grey.jpg

03-federation-grey.jpg

05-federation-grey.jpg

Gatsby84

Familiar Face
That's a nice looking hat, I'm expecting one of these for Christmas. Seeing your photos make me feel less apprehensive about the tone of grey. I like your bash and I think I might put a diamond on top of mine.

Regards

-Allen

Dumbjaw said:
It's amazing what a few seemingly minor changes in dimensions and measurements can do, though, isn't it?

Yes, it certainly is. An eighth of an inch difference in brim (or ribbon) width or crown height can make a substantial difference in a hat's overall effect. And then there's how those elements work (or don't work) together, and variations in degree of crown taper, and ...

I'm with you, dumbjaw. Some hats look just great on the shelf, but not on a particular person's head, or at least not as good as it might look on some other guy. Sometimes you can say just why that is, and sometimes it alludes you, but if it ain't right, it ain't right.

Seeing the photo of you wearing it has me understanding why you are so happy with that Fed IV. To my eye, it looks much better on your noggin than those shots of it sitting there on its lonesome would indicate.

I understand that the price is about as right as can be, thanks to the exchange rate. I certainly understand why you immediately ordered another. (I happen to have three identical Cuencas, one of which still has its original tags, having never been worn for more than a minute or two. They're inexpensive, but they just plain "work" for me, so I wanna make sure I always have at least one good-as-new one on hand, and at least another one to get sweaty in.)

airspirit

New in Town
I have a fed 4 deluxe on order that should be arriving early next week. Your crease on that hat is beautiful and if the forums ever allow me to do so, I'm going to be sending a PM to you for a step by step on how to make one just like that because THAT is the crease I want.

That aside, you look stunning in that hat. The proportions suit you very well. If mine looks half as good on me as yours looks on you I'll be ordering a few more colors myself, though I think I'll be waiting until my Stylemaster comes in a few days later so I can make a more informed decision on whether the rest should be deluxes or whether the regular quality will do me fine.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Nice! My drk. brown Fed IV arrived today. I also gave it a dry bash in a not too perfect diamond. Holds a dry bash well, but spritzed a little water on when it was just right. I was torn between a gray or brown, but knew I'd eventually have to have brown as I have a couple of gray hats. Wear in good health.

MattJH

One Too Many
Orgetorix said:
What's the difference in dimensions between the Fed III and Fed IV?

I included the Adventurer for good measure:

Akubra Federation III (dimensional 2 7/8" x 2 3/4" brim with a 6" crown height)
Akubra Federation IV (dimensional 2 3/4" x 2 1/2" brim with a 5 5/8" crown height)
Akubra Adventurer (dimensional 3 1/8" x 2 7/8" brim with a 5 1/2" crown height)

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Adding to a growing chorus - a most handsome hat, Dumbjaw, and it does indeed look fine on you. Glad you found something that satisfies your needs! I'm liking my moonstone also.
- Bill

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
This post has really set my mind at ease. I've given up on ever owning a Whippet, prices in my size are just ridiculous when you consider that you're buying a hat sight unseen. The fact that brand new Fed IVs can be purchased all day and look that good, along with your testimonial have sealed the deal for me. I'm picking up an Fed IV in Moonstone at the earliest opportunity - hopefully as a Christmas gift.

-David

jec

One of the Regulars
Nice hat! And that is a perfect shade of gray - just the right mid-tone. I recently received a Stylemaster in "mid-gray" and by my scale, I think it is too dark to call a medium gray. It's more of a charcoal.
It's so hard to picture these subtle shades of gray when placing an order and not having the hat in hand.

horray for Fed IV's

I've been hemming and hawing over this hat for a month now, with it being less than $100 after shipping, it seems like a no brainer, but after seing this hat and this color, wow...

I gotta get me one of these. I absolutly love the crease, I may have to try something other than my center dent.

great hat.

MCrider

A-List Customer
Really nice hat!

Dumbjaw, like others have said, that hat looks great on you! I just ordered a Federation IV in moonstone and your post has me looking forward to it even more now. That crease is spectacular! I hope my goes as well, although I doubt I'll get it done in 30 seconds lol
If my hat looks anywhere near as good on me as yours does on you, I think my quest for the perfect grey hat has ended!

ken100

Familiar Face
Great

Hey Dumbjaw, looks fantastic, I'm sitting at the keyboard with my carbon grey fed 4 on, hoping it suits me as nicely as yours does you, my first bash yourself hat, really surprised how easy and enjoyable whacking some felt can be, went the "C" crown, lot easier than I thought it would be and loving the feel and fit. I look in the mirror and seeing my granddad is a real nice thing!
Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner