Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Memory...

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I had very sad news today. I wrote a letter a while back to the man who introduced me to vintage clothing. His name was Kirk Kirkeeng. Back when I was 14 and filled with dreams of flowing victorian dresses, my mom and I stumbled on his antique shop in Fallbrook, CA. He had a small glass case with dresses hanging in it, which I immediately walked over and stared into. Over time, he started pulling them out and showing them to me, explaining the fabrics, or the cuts, why they were the years they were. Shortly after our first visit a box arrived. My first vintage dress! It was made of china silk, from about 1912, a lovely empire waist. It was shattering, but I didn't care. I immediately slipped it on and posed for pictures in front of my antique desk, sending them off to him in a letter. We kept going back in visiting. In time I would bring my finds to him to be dated. He helped educate me in restoration and storing the gowns. In time my mom and I were admitted into his "back room". He had a room that was wall to wall vintage clothing, some in the middle, boxes piled high with hats and laces, purses... it was the stuff dreams were made of. And they came. I dreamed often of that backroom, being allowed to touch and go through the boxes to unearth treasures. But I never did when I visited. I waited patiently for him to show me things. Back then I didn't know about the 30's, 40's, and 50's, but looking back I can remember the treasures he shared. Colorful velvet capes with maribou colors, coats with rhinestones in the lining so when you caught a peek it sparkled, original Ertes, and he hung them all with the proper matching accessories, so you had a complete outfit on one hanger (something I still do to this day with costumes if I have them). When my mom asked me one year what I wanted for my birthday, I responded that I wanted to go to Kirks. He sold us some lovely things from his collection. A pink embroidered piano shawl, two lovely victorian purses, a victorian fringed cape, and a black edwardian pigeon breasted blouse with beautiful lace and chiffon (still one of the pride and joys of my collection) He taught me so much, and he inpired me so much. If it weren't for him it is questionable if I would be where I am, with my fashion degree, my costume design, with vintage clothing, with dreaming of my own museam. Here's to a remarkable man. Thanks for listening.

Dahlia

Familiar Face
That is a really beautiful story, Lauren. It brought some very lovely, happy images to mind. Kirk sounds like a wonderful man and a genuine human being. I'm very sorry for your loss, his influence in your life is obvious and I know you will remember him fondly.

Hondo

One Too Many
I am extremely sorry for your loss, thanks for sharing; not many people experience what you have, so you kind of carry on what this gentleman shared, your words gave a picture view of remembrance, take care.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Lauren,

My condolences for your loss. We should all be so fortunate to find someone during our lives who helps us to see the potential greatness and goodness of mankind. It is clear from your post that you did.

Lauren

Thank you so much, everyone for your kind words. He truly was a remarkable man. I went through my pictures last night and found these which I mentioned in my first post.
kirkdress1.jpg

kirkdress2.jpg

What a thrill for me to recieve that dress at 14 years old! I added the lace undershirt to it (which was not vintage, but was something they would have done back then, which I learned from him on our first visit I believe). Thought I'd share :) While most of my pictures in my adolecent years are extremely embarrasing, I never mind sharing the ones in costume.
And here's one when I was about 20 in the black blouse I mentioned above:
web1900s.jpg

Vanessa

One Too Many
So sorry for your loss, Lauren. But it's so nice to hear that you were able to share and learn from him for so long.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Lauren, sorry to hear about your loss too! I know what it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s like to lose some one who has started one onto a wonderful hobby! I find that most if not all people I meet that have a passion for the past, whether it be the Renaissance or the 1950?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s they just love to share their collections and passion with some one else who shares and feels the same way.

I started to collect kerosene lanterns at the age 9 or 10. I would sell grapefruit from my tree in the back yard on the street out side my house to finish and ride up to the antique shop to buy lanterns. I was their youngest customer! This antique store just closed this June and it felt that a large chapter of my collecting life just closed.

My Grandmother Smith started me on Big Band music. I remember one afternoon preparing a nice dinner to share with a young lady who I invited over. She flaked and I was all alone with this large supper. My mother (I was 16 at the time) told me that I should take that down to Grandma?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s to share it with her! I did and had a very nice time. It was the first time I really got to know my Grandmother. She told me some really great stories about the 20?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s! We sat and listened to a tape I made of radio shows and Big Band music. We had a very nice time that night. A month or so after that, she passed away at the age of 79. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m so happy for that girl flaking on me because it gave me a chance to get to know my Grandmother a little better. I miss her and wish she could see the vintage monster she created!

Any how, Lauren I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m sorry to hear your loss but remember and never forget all the great times you had with your friend and hang on to what you have from his collection. We will meet lots of people in this life and some who will really stand out above the rest.

God Bless,
Root.

varga49

One of the Regulars
Lauren, I'm rather new here...but was touched by your post..along with the others I send my condolences. I have had the good fortune of being mentored by a few wonderful souls and the privledge to mentor a few equally wonderful souls younger than I. The seeds are sown, some sprout, some come to fruition! You will most certainly have that young spirit cross your path one day..and the legacy once bestowed upon you will be shared again. He must have certainly been proud of you!...and now for that cigar!!

Lauren

Thanks again, guys and gals. I sent out the hat today, including a letter and a copy of this thread. Even though he passed away a year ago (we lost touch after I went to college), I am sure that his family will appreciate the kind words. And I have offered to help place some of the clothing in museams, so hopefully they will take me up on the offer. I would love to see this man's legacy continue.

drblainec48

New in Town
Missing Kirk Kirkeeng

I too was greatly influenced by this great actor, comedian, vintage clothing collector, and antique store owner. I performed with Kirk in "Little Me" in the Balboa Park Starlight Theater. He was hilarious as the lead in this show which went on to the San Diego Civic Center on an extended run because of it's popularity. He had many other credits as well in the Globe Theater in the same park.

Through the years, I paid many visits to his store in Fallbrook and purchased many antiques from him. I am proud of a 1907 Jantzen men's red swimsuit that he gave me that was made of 100% wool and weighed a ton when wet. I wore it into the ocean one time to show him what it looked like at La Jolla Shores. It itched like crazy as well. It was all one piece with a tank top connected to the bottom which was knee length. What a sight! As a professor at Cal State Fullerton years later, I gave the swim suit to the theater costume depatment. I hope they were as appreciative as I was in receiving it originally. Kirk was a good friend and a great man. I miss him and his antique store.

Dr. Blaine Chambers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails