Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In praise of newer Stetson

Bebop

Practically Family
I have read alot of horrible things about the newer Stetsons that are out there. I have yet to read or hear about how great someones new Stetson has been. Maybe I have just missed the threads. Being a new guy on this lounge, I feel like I know the least about hats compared to the knowledge of some of you but I thought I would pat at least one new Stetson on the back.
I have had a Stetson Dune 4x's for about 5 or 6 years that has been through drenching rains in Yellowstone, a couple of mile long walks in non-stop Montana snow, a summer in hot New Mexico, a couple of trips to Tijuana Mexico and still looks very good. As a matter of fact, I think it looks and feels better now that it is almost broken in. It has not turned pink or any other color. It has withstood hard rains without any thoughts of "oh no, my hat!" After reading about how terrible the new Stetsons are, I just decided to wear the hell out of this Dune and see what happens. No, it is not worth the current price of somewhere around $130. Yes, it is a good hat that looks great after my taking it for granted and treating it as if it were going to fall apart anyday "so why take such good care of it". I hope my new Akubra Banjo Paterson preforms this well. From what I understand, it should be even better. It does feel like it fits me better than the Stetson.
Anyone else have a positive experience with newer Stetsons?

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
In Praise of a newer stetson and eBay Purchases

I've been shopping new Stetsons for a few weeks. There in good supply here in Austin, Texas. Mamy of them seem to be well made, but I did look at a whole batch of Open Roads with very funky, uneven coloration on the brims. Imagine your surpirse if you'd maile-ordered one of them. They look like somebody at the Steson factory was in a bad mood that day. I don''t know how common this is--perhaps there are members who'd like to comment.
I've done many eBay transactions, perhaps 200, for various items, and I've never been burned. You have to learn to ask the right questions about worm holes, grease spots etc. And too often, on eBay you have to ask the hat size because that detail escapes some posters.
I bought Stetson Range, silver belly, 4X beaver, 4.5-inch crown and a 3-inch brim, Gene Autry-looking, probably 25-30 years old or more on eBay a few days ago for $39.00. How can you beat that? The hat is absolutely mint. It's much nicer than those flawed Open Roads I saw. I re-shaped it into a sort of Open Road with just a wee hint of fedora in the front. Makes me look like I just came out of a West Texas bank after signing for a big loan.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Stetson Praise - IMHO

Its always good to hear from someone else who wears a Stetson. I have a closet full of Stetson fedoras plus about 3 Akubras, and one Miller Guerra(5 Thumbs UP!!!!). I became a collector (?) when I found I could buy them from Stetson cheap. I also began to wear more because I like them much better than the average western hat. Another plus was the fact that I could throw them away when they became soiled and buy another. You will find a lot of knowledgable folks here at the lounge on vintage hats. I think that everything was of superior quality prior to WWII and hats were not collectible, they were an everyday item of dress and were WORN. You made one statement that Ive always wondered about, how will a modern felt hat hold up and what will it look like in 20-30 years? Jury is out, but I think that the old felts were better. That was then and this is now, it would be impossible for me wear a classic Fedora out in a rain storm. I do not have the same feelings about my new Stetson Fedora's, I do and will. Thats what I have them for, wearing. I recommend them as a very good WEARING hat, not really collectible (except for knotheads like myself). In order of my preference in the modern hats I own:

1. Guerra from Millers (150.00)
2. Stetson Fedoras (20-45.00)
3. Akubras (80-100.00)

Anyone interested in a new Stetson should probably check out Ebay, a seller has come up with a truckload of hats, I guess. I do not understand where they came from but prices are definately cheap. With the cheapest shipping they offer (15.00), I can still do better at Stetson, plus I know the history of the hat and can try it on. Sorry about the length of this post, I havent written for a while and need practice!!!!!!!!!!

newhatguy

New in Town
Chatham or Temple

I too have been looking at the modern stetson....is there any quality difference between the Chatham and Temple? price varies a little...guess it is just trim style difference....have not seen these in the $20 to $45 price range from the usual list of vendors...would rather buy thru a "true" dealer than ebay...especially if Im buying new.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I bought a black Stetson back in the early '90s, and everytime it rained, black water ran down my back. Damn powdered colors! I did have one modern Stetson I loved, from 1984. Not the Indy model, though.

My biggest problem with Stetson is style - they don't offer a tall crown anymore.

Brad

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
New Stetson

In my OPINION the Guerra is a better hat, but only slightly. I have to keep telling myself that because I paid so much more for it!!!! I have been watching the boatload of new Stetsons on Ebay and am wondering where these came from. They are definately flooding the market and there should be some good bargains. The felt quality on the different models SEEMS to be similar and yes the trim and ribbon etc, make a price difference. The highest end model have what they call a suede finish. Im probably going back to the outlet in the next few days and will look for myself. I own too many now but I want to look at the high end models for the heck of it (yes, probably buy one). The main difference on my hats is the brim width. The Temple is available in several colors and has the narrowest brim I care to wear. It is a nice hat WITH a taper to the crown tho. I am going to ask them if they have more Royal Stetsons in the back. Some I own (total of 3) have a 4" plus crown with no taper, some with raw edge, some bound. Nice hats!!!! Will compete easily with the Akubra federation IMHO. In addition to the above, I own a Downs in Moss (45.00), Weekender in Bronzine (45.00). Several others that I cant remember what style!!!!!!. I wish someone would ask if these Ebay hats are seconds, fire damage or what. Right now, I can put one on at the store and see color fit, etc. for 45.00 total and know that they are new.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Prairie Shade said:
modern felt hat hold up and what will it look like in 20-30 years? Jury is out, but I think that the old felts were better. That was

The jury is not out on this one. Vintage felts were, on the whole,
made better. Some companies, like Borsalino, continued to use
top knotch felt through the 70s. As has been discussed elsewhere,
some hat makers use decent felt now (compared to big manufacturers).
But your average hat from the 30s or 40s is better than anything
you can buy today, in felt quality.

Of course blocking was done better, and with blocks that had
more style (and height). Construction was more skilled in many
cases, too.

Not to say it's entirely a bad thing- part of the reason felt isn't as
good now has to do with laws against toxic chemicals. But mostly
it's economy of scale (oddly, given that some small makers produce
better hats than Stetson), lost hatmaking skills, and the fast buck.

Glad you like your Stetsons, and you make some good points about them.
I accumulate old hats simply because I can't be confident of replacing
a favorite hat should something happen to it.

Michael D

Familiar Face
I've got a Stetson Dune that's over 10 years old. It's been thru a very wet and heavy snowstorm. I wore it when I was trying to get my car unstuck. (BTW I was unsuccessful at the time at getting it unstuck, but all I had to do was wait a day and the sun melted all the snow. Denver's great that way!)

I was afraid that the hat might not recover from being so wet but it came thru fine. I still wear it and I'm not afraid to take it out in bad weather. Did it taper? Maybe a little, but it was already tapered. Did the color run? No, but I do notice some lighter spots on the hat. To me the hat just has more character now.

Mike

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
New Stetsons

Let me say first off that I am sure that the classic fedoras of the so called Golden Age were superior in felt quality to most of the new hats. How long the new felts will last, I dont think anyone knows yet. Having said that let me say that I just called Cindy at Stetson Outlet in St Joesph, Mo. AC 816 233-3286 and if anyone wishes they may call and order a hat depending on availability, size color, etc. It would be better to have an idea of the style or model (current styles) you want before calling. I am going up in a day or so and will take one of my straight crown models so they can see if they have any left in the warehouse from previous orders. I am interested in a Truman/Dexter style, it is 45.00 for pickup. I believe BB has the shipping in US right on at 7.00. ALSO, let me say I am just a hat wearer mostly, NOT connected in any way to Stetson, except thru my head when I have one on. Today Im wearing my Akubra Federation, nice hat also. BB, I may look at your Moose River Model, silver belly fedoras arent common!!!!

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
In Praise of a New Stetson

"My biggest problem with Stetson is style - they don't offer a tall crown anymore." Miller Hats states that the Stetson Range has a 4.5-inch crown. In fact, the crown height on my Stetson Range is approx. 5.3 inches, and could be made higher with the center dent made a bit more shallow.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, I should have specified I was talking about their fedoras. I know their cowboy hats are taller. Their fedoras are squat-looking, stingy-brimmed things compared to my vintage hats.

Brad

newhatguy

New in Town
Brad Bowers said:
Sorry, I should have specified I was talking about their fedoras. I know their cowboy hats are taller. Their fedoras are squat-looking, stingy-brimmed things compared to my vintage hats.

Brad

So how low is too low(for the average person-not period correct)?...after you mentioned this I checked specs onthe Chatham...crown 3 3/4 ....seems a little low.....looked at millers fedoras made for them by Stetson....specs looked much better......anyone have any comment on the Miller's by Stetson?

newhatguy

hatflick1

Practically Family
STETSON INTO THE SUNSET

As I understand it, there is no Stetson Hat Company anymore. There are Stetson licensees. Would this create the inconsistant felt quality and color runs being discussed? I've seen new Open Roads at King's Western Wear in Studio City, CA, which look pretty close to some older ones I own. And Westmall.com features a number of interesting retro fedora styles under their Dress Hat heading.

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
The Current Stetson fedora's and the current Stetsons "Cowboy" hats are two diffrent animals. I have a Stetson Cowboy hat that I wear when mowing the lawn and doing yard work. It's held up through heavy rain and harsh sun.

The Stetson Fedora's are nothing more then expensive coffee filters with grosgrain ribbons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran