Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In Support of Brick and Mortar Hat Shops

Have you purchased a hat at a brick and mortar hat shop that you still wear?

• Yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Akubra

Familiar Face
I agree 100% I always try to support local shops and stores.

Not only because it helps the local economy and makes what is available around here better BUT I never understood the dumbo that would spend $40 in gass to drive to a "Big Box Mart" to save $5 !!!!:eusa_doh:

HOWEVER now days when it comes to hats I but most on the internet. Not because I am cheap but because I live in the STICKS. If I wana buy a hat localy I got 2 choices, ball caps for summer and blaze orange wool in the fall and winter.

I still buy at brick and mortor stores. I travel a lot for work reasons and that is an excuse to check out hat shops and buy a new hat when away from home.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
I must confess that when it comes to hats I owe no loyalty to anyone. I admit it - I'm a hat tart!
I do, however, value the local hat shop. For me in Brisbane, this is Distinctive Accessories in the Anzac Square Arcade. Great range, great advice and exceptional aftersales service including cleaning and blocking. I'm happy to pay a little extra for that extra service and advice. If you're in Brisbane their website is here:
http://www.dahats.com.au/default.asp

Now...speaking of websites....I just saw this great lid on eBay...

...Such a tart.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
I would happily patronize a brick and mortar hat store . . . if there were a decent one in my area. There's not. The best that I can do in my area is Dillard's or Burlington Coat Factory, unless I want to hit the thrift & consignment shops, which I do from time to time. And even those have pretty slim pickins most of the time.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
kabuto said:
I've never done this with hat shops (since there are so few), but with other shopping, such as for high end consumer electronics, I patronize the brick and motor shops--in a somewhat nasty way.

I will ID a shop that I don't think I will be buying from, and then do all my research there, taking up the time of the clerks. When I've decided what I want and gathered other information that I need, I leave without buying anything.

Then I hit my main target. I act clueless and wander around and eventually convince a staff person that I'm maybe interested in something one level below what I really want. I'll ask a million questions and pretend I don't understand anything and burn up as much of the guy's time as possible. Then at some point I'll ask him about the item I'm really interested in. He'll think maybe he can sell me up, but of course I act dubious: I'm worried about the price. Can they discount it? From experience I know that 40 percent off list is the most anyone will ever go (if it's electronics), unless it's a display model, so that's what I hold out for. The guy's looking at this flakey customer he's wasted time on who might be on the verge of walking out in a daze, so he or his manager will OK the price just to salvage things.

You criminal you! lol

RBH

Bartender
Spats McGee said:
I would happily patronize a brick and mortar hat store . . . if there were a decent one in my area. There's not. The best that I can do in my area is Dillard's or Burlington Coat Factory, unless I want to hit the thrift & consignment shops, which I do from time to time. And even those have pretty slim pickins most of the time.
You are so right !
In our neck of the woods it just 'aint there.

But for you Spats.. in less than 3 hours.. is a fantastic hat maker.
The Interstate ..its quicker! :D

Spats McGee

One Too Many
RBH said:
But for you Spats.. in less than 3 hours.. is a fantastic hat maker.
The Interstate ..its quicker! :D
I assume that you're referring to a Road Trip to Covington & I do intend to make that trip eventually!

I went to the Ontario Mills Mall (Ontario, CA) that's near where the 15 and the 10 Interstates meet and saw a cigar shop with some Panama type hats on display.

Later at the mall I came across a new big hat store called Xena Hats, but it was too close to the time for me to get home to do any real recon, I saw tons of stingy brims by the front and I believe they listed Stetson and Dobbs as suppliers.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Just stumbled upon a hat store in Santa Barbara right on State Street. The shop is called the Green and Yellow Basket (Chick Webb plays Santa Barbara!) and while it is a general his-n-hers holiday/vacation shop, they have a surprisingly good selection of men's hats--Stetson being the highest end of the lot, but it is rare to find a store that stocks a full range of fedoras in all sizes and colors that you can actually try on and compare in real time. Great straw hats, too--classic Panamas and Milans. Tried on a Stetson Nostalgia that I am thinking of getting in gray, but will get it on my next trip up the coast--it was just too warm and summery to buy a fur hat.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Alex Oviatt said:
Just stumbled upon a hat store in Santa Barbara right on State Street. The shop is called the Green and Yellow Basket (Chick Webb plays Santa Barbara!) and while it is a general his-n-hers holiday/vacation shop, they have a surprisingly good selection of men's hats--Stetson being the highest end of the lot, but it is rare to find a store that stocks a full range of fedoras in all sizes and colors that you can actually try on and compare in real time. Great straw hats, too--classic Panamas and Milans. Tried on a Stetson Nostalgia that I am thinking of getting in gray, but will get it on my next trip up the coast--it was just too warm and summery to buy a fur hat.
Alex, I'm glad to see you mention this store. I mention it on the previous page on this thread, and in a couple of other places. Just the kind of hat store we should support...like you I just discovered it recently. Didn't think to check out the Nostalgia, since I was looking for straws, but next time I'm up there, I'll do so!

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
jazzncocktails said:
Alex, I'm glad to see you mention this store. I mention it on the previous page on this thread, and in a couple of other places. Just the kind of hat store we should support...like you I just discovered it recently. Didn't think to check out the Nostalgia, since I was looking for straws, but next time I'm up there, I'll do so!
just went back and saw the post==glad you found the Dobbs! Going to Santa barbara to buy hats is no hardship and yes, the owners are terrific. That can't be said for a local hat shop I go to in Pasadena--the Hat Mart on Colorado. The owners are nasty and even though I have bought a few things there, I do it grudgingly--they don't seem to care it I even come back.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
A tip of the hat to a country hat shop

Last week I found myself wandering through the streets of Townsville in north Queensland killing time before I was due to speak at a conference. Heading down Flinders mall in the heart of the town I happened upon Townsville Hatters.
I was the only soul in the shop and struck up a conversation with the very helpful lady behind the counter who let me try on their huge range of Akubras and other Aussie brands (plus a few Chinese and Korean numbers but we won't dwell on those) and some Ecuadorian panamas, which would sell well in the tropics.
The point being that it's a great little hattery with helpful staff and well worth a visit if you're ever lost in north Qld - or are lucky enough to live there!

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
Shopping in Person

I would prefer to shop in person, but there are no shops carrying hats like we all like in South Georgia. It is either caps or cowboys or something made of velour in unspeakable colors.

I do know a shop in St Augustine that carries a good line and I check them out when I am there. The owner, Tony, is from Ecuador and he goes there a few times a year to pick up his hat bodies direct from a few families that weave for him. You can get a good value Cuenca that is finished in the same factory as Christies. The trombone player on Conan O'Brien's show buys his stuff custom from there.

He also has some beautiful Super Fino and Fino Fino hats that are finished there and brought back.

I have worn one of the two straws I got there almost everyday. The one in the picture was a good deal on a Christie's

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
That's wild, I have had a generally good experience with each visit to the Hats Mart in Pasadena.

Well, maybe I am being too harsh. They certainly weren't friendly and they missed a real opportunity one day when I was in a buying mood. I went straight to the back of the shop, where the good hats are and started trying on a few. I was low hanging fruit to any salesperson at that point. The owner, who had seen me come in and never got off of his stool by the register (the shop was empty except for me) called back and asked if I needed any help. I asked about a Borsalino I was interested in and he yelled back at me that all that they had were all out. The idea was that this is self serve, try on what you want and when you find it, bring it up to the counter and it will be rung up. The thing is that some of the hats were behind a counter and I went back to see if the size I wanted was there and thought, this is crazy--do they want to make a sale or not? In this case, I ended up buying the hat I wanted online (Delmonico's) and not in the shop. I have bought other things there (they have a great selection) but have never quite felt welcome. I guess the service that was missing would have been worth the premium of paying full price. I'll try them again, just to be a good sport. Glad that you have had a better experince there, John. I am all about buying local!

I think they are from China originally so their English is not the best and that can be an interference to good clear conversation.

I usually go in and look around, and ask about a hat I can see on the wall or in the glass cases. When the man comes over I engage in light conversation letting him know I have bought from him before and then talk about what i am interested in. I have only bought one Fedora from him a Stetson back in the 90's but have bought several newsboy caps in the last few years. They seem to respond best if you engage them and discuss your interests in a lighthearted way. They aren't packed with high end stuff but do have a few good to very good furfelt fedoras. It's a good place for starter hats mostly, I think.

I need to go back and check out the Xena Hats at the Ontario Mills Mall soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo