Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones, Arceologist or trophy hunter?

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sometime after Carter and Canarvan's Tut foray and now archeology focused heavily on learning about the ancient peoples, their places in their societies and the times they lived in. Carter wasn't all that much into the mysteries of the life of Tutankhamen and his contemporaries but rather into cataloging all the loot in intricate descriptive terms with complex drawings to go along with photos.

Between then and now the paramount thing is the recreation of a "day in the life" as it werel, in the era where remains are found. How did the mumified young girl live? How and why did she die? What did she eat? How was her health? Why was she left atop a barren mountain? Before it would have been a thorough inventorying of all the grave goods, burial clothing and surrounding objects.

JB Bogiefan

New in Town
I'm studying to be an archaeologist and if we did that today, we would get shot! He is definitely only in it for the glory and the money. TROPHY HUNTER/ GRAVEROBBER

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
It is also an interesting legal question of finder's rights, whether it is abandoned property, who the true owner is if any, etc.

Many governments today I think basically say if you find an artifact even on your land, it belongs to the government and not turning it over constitutes theft. A stupid rule if ever there was one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80