Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Saw Harrison Ford on some entertaint tonight type program yesterday and he stated that a new Indiana Jones movie is definitely coming:fedora:

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
from chud.com

http://www.chud.com/index.php?type=news&id=5873

WILL INDIANA JONES ASSASSINATE ABRAHAM LINCOLN?
By Devin Faraci
Contributing sources: Indy Experience
I have been a longtime Indiana Jones IV atheist – I thought the sequel would remain forever vaporcinema. But it looks like forces have begun to align making Indy IV something a little more real.

Spielberg was supposed to shoot an Abe Lincoln biopic with Liam Neeson (note: not an American! Scandal) in the lead role, but now it’s being reported that that film is on hold. In fact, it may be on hold forever. Meanwhile, Harrison Ford has been saying that it looks like filming is imminent. "Part of it is finding a time when all three of us [he, Spielberg and Lucas] are available to commit to it," Ford has said. "I think we've got that now."

Ford will only reveal that the movie will take place after WWII, meaning that watching Harrison Ford humiliate himself by returning to this role will be the only atrocity taking place in the film.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
...a new Indiana Jones movie is definitely coming

ford-drunk_125.jpg

So is a new Rolling Stones tour. Some old fellas just don't know when to say when. ;)

geo

Why don't they keep the Indiana Jones character alive, but use another actor for the role, like they do for James Bond? Who would you most likely see following Harrison Ford in the role of Indiana Jones?

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Sean Patrick Flanery, from "Young Indiana Jones Adventures". He looks perfect and is the right age too, about the same age as Ford in the first one. I'm attempting to post a couple of photos of him from a period movie called "Run the Wild Fields". I think using anyone more famous would be too distracting. And heck, he's already been Indy!

SPF2.jpg

SPF1.jpg

geo

Hm. I like SPF as the young Indiana Jones, and he was the first one I thought could replace Ford. But I don't know if he has the charisma that Ford had in the trilogy.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I kind of think the role brought out the "inner-Indy" in Ford. I like him and enjoy his movies, but he pretty much acts the same in all his movies with the only exceptions being Star Wars and the Indy movies (which come to think of it are very similar characters).

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ford is irreplaceable and the franchise should die after the next installment. I am looking forward to a more mature Jones, to see where the character ends up. He was always an underdog, always at a disadvantage; age will only heighten this bit of tension. A final film will serve as a nice denouement to the saga, though some effectively argue that the riding off into the sunset scene at the end of The Last Crusade already accomplised this.

This is certainly fitting as that the audience of these films has gotten older. Aren't we all arm-chair Ulysses, looking back on what has been and wishing that somewhere, in what is to come, is that door to redmeption that has eluded us thusfar? We all know that somewhere in our lives will be a peak, a point by which our best days, our best hours, our best moments, are behind us. We all pray this comes with our final breath, but what if we cross that threshold at 40, 50, or even 25? Will we feel a bit of our life drain through our heels and into the floor?

Jones is a wanderer, a restless spirit. I would like to see him on one last grand adventure, before he finally settles down.

geo

Since 25 years have passed since Raiders, and taking into account that Ford has aged by the same amount, and that Raiders takes place in the mid-thirties, this would mean that the new movie would be set in the mid to late fifties. I don't know if I want to see an Indiana Jones movie set in the fifties; for me, Indiana Jones would always be pre-WW2. The world changed too much after that. That's why I would prefer if they would use an actor between 35-45, and keep the time setting in the thirties.

jake431

Practically Family
The new movie, according to producer Kathleen somebody or other (I can't remember her name - someone else can look it up if they don't believe me) said that it takes place in the late 1940's - around 48 or 49, again, I can't remember which. So roughly ten years after the Last Crusade. ILM's gonna have their hands full doing digital restoration to Harrison Ford in post production to pull that off.

-Jake

Feraud

Bartender
Hemingway Jones said:
though some effectively argue that the riding off into the sunset scene at the end of The Last Crusade already accomplised this.
Last Crusade is not my favorite film of the trilogy but that scene always gets to me.. :cry: ;)

I am trying not to get too excited about Indy IV. The suspense will kill me! :) I am hoping for a fun, exciting, stunt filled film like Raiders to close the Jones films.

geo

Late 40's? What's interesting about the late 40's? The Russian atomic bomb, the Berlin blockade, Indian independence, war in the middle east? I don't picture Indiana Jones in that setting, but maybe the movie will make me change my views. I think the historic setting is important in an Indiana Jones movie.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
geo said:
Late 40's? What's interesting about the late 40's? The Russian atomic bomb, the Berlin blockade, Indian independence, war in the middle east? I don't picture Indiana Jones in that setting, but maybe the movie will make me change my views. I think the historic setting is important in an Indiana Jones movie.
Have you ever seen "Notorious?" Nazis in South America plotting their return with a mysterious black powder hidden in wine bottles. All sorts of intrigues. Perhaps, Indy will go after the Maltese Falcon. ;)

geo

No, I haven't seen it, but it sounds interesting. A return to South America ... yes ... lots of Nazis, as well as non-Nazi Germans (Schindler), ran away to South America after the war. There's potential there.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Themes for the film...

Being in South America again, they could go with the Crystal Skulls Idea. Build up a good mythology like the Shankara Stones, keep out the TOD sappyness, go back to the roots and keep it gritty with the subtle humor.
Or if they wanted another religious relic, they could go with the Spear of Longinus.
Eighter way, you have plenty of chases, fights and adventure. Keep it gritty and amusing like Raiders with an over the top plot involving the Nazi's and/or an uber-evil philanthropist that uses everone up that he thinks can get him ultimate power.
I've seen shots of Ford lately, the man is in great shape. Personally I think he can pull off another adventure without looking like an old man. Remember, this is an archaeologist that has put a lot of miles on his body through many adventures, so it wouldn't be unreasonable for him to look older than he is durring a film that takes place in the late 40's. Raiders will still always be the best just because it was the first and it had the feel of what they intended, a Serial Film. Now, if they play their cards right, they can pull out all the bells and whistles, and still have it look like a Republic Serial film, gritty and amusing.

Here's to hoping for the best.

Cheers!

Dan

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
Very well put, concerning his activities

I like the comment that Jones can't be expected to look in perfect physical form, given the life he led. Heck, I'm only 33 and I'm partially deaf, vision is 20/700, I'm almost totally bald, and I'm riddled with arthritis from Lyme disease when I was 18! Nothing wrong with an older gent playing a young fellow's role. I consistently feel as if I were -- and this is my real life!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Nobody's mentioned the last time we saw Indy in South America...he didn't get what he came for. He was pretty determined with the Cross of Coronado, I'd imagine with a letdown like he had with the fetility idol, he'd be back to try again.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Geez I can't see a thing wrong with Ford playing it in a Sean Connery mature way at all. If he isn't in it, in 50 years Indian Jones aficianados will bitch to high heaven that they got anyone else to "take his place." He's what, 62-63? People are LOTS more active at that age these days and he did his own stunts in his new movie. Besides it's the script that's gotta be good no matter who plays what.:fedora:

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Ford's not collecting social security yet...what's the problem with his age? As has been mentioned already, he is in good shape. If you look at action films from the golden era you will see lots of 'action stars' who are in their 40s,50s. I look forward to seeing a mature star take on a role that is all too often given to some 20 something for no better reason than the fact that they are a representative of the desired marketing age. And yes, I am one of those fans who won't see an Indiana Jones film without Ford as the man! As to the film taking place in the late 40s there should be plenty of possiblity for villany...James Bond made do nicely fighting the "red menace". Indiana Jones vs. Stalin? Mao?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael