Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indiana Jones

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Sefton said:
Ford's not collecting social security yet

He will be about a year from now. Ford is the same age as my dad, and for people born in 1942 you apparently get to start sucking on the government teat starting at age 65.

Doh!

One Too Many
As long as they keep the CGI to a minimum I'll give this one a chance.

(Of course, it's still a LucasFilm so who'm I kidding?)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have no problem with an Indy story set in the late 50s against a cold war background. An older Indy is fine, and recasting the part or making the film largely about his young apprentice and/or son he had by Willie/Marion and never knew/etc., would be a grave mistake. But Ford *IS* Indy, and there's no question that he's got the charisma to make us follow him anywhere.

My biggest qualm with the whole project is George Lucas having so much input on the script. This guy has proven repeatedly with the Star Wars prequel trilogy that he *cannot* write, and whatever characters/story vs. effects overkill judgement he once had is long gone. Hopefully, Spielberg (who has certainly had has his share of misfires, but has continued to mature as a director) will be able to reign in George's dumber impulses...

But I say bring it on - sure, Ford's older, but then so are the rest of us!

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Doctor Strange,
I always enjoy your comments and your perspective on film. Your insights always help me see things I missed, or understand what I saw a little more clearly.
Thanks!:cool2:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Everyone has made a valid point...

Hopefully Lucas doesn't bugger the story too badly. If they keep the CGI seamless and to a minimum like in Pirates of the Carabbean it should go well enough. The Fertility Idol could be a side story in the beginning to bring that portion full circle. There will be so many youngsters that will need the intro of Indy that this would do nicely. Briefly reintroduce the Hero and bring him back to his origins. And like I said before, with all the milage that he has put on the body he's not exactly going to be looking as fresh as a daisy. Heck, Indy didn't exactly look fresh in Raiders. Rough around the edges and slightly worn, just like his jacket. So I for one will enjoy seeing a well weathered Indy, with a few extra bumps bruses & scars, doing it again. And so what if he needs some help from a young friend/partner, he had some help with Short Round, although slightly annoying. I hope that I can look as good as Ford does when I hit his age in another 25+ years.
As far as the new adventure goes, it's anybody's guess. They could do the religous/Nazi route again. He could take on the Communist's this time around, or he could face a non-political villan who just wants to destroy the world, or raise Atlantis, or whatever evil they can conjure up. Indy could go into the mystical realm with any combo or artifacts and locale. In any case, he will probably end up saving the girl, his Dad and/or a good friend or two, collecting a valuable artifact and utterly destroying the temple, villa or market place he retreived it from. All done with his wry smile and one liners.
Now his clothing may change, yes. The leather jacket & hat may be the same, but the shirt & trousers could change a bit. Considering that those type of items haven't changed much in style for the past 60 years, I doubt that they will change much for the movies time line. Maybe darker pants with a Congo cago pocket. a different shirt more universal for the time but quite similar. Still being able to work in the College Professor attire as well.
And to cap this off... They could always delve into how Indy lost an eye.
There's plenty to chew on here, plenty to debate until the movie finally arives. But Ford is still playing Indy and I think he can do it. The only thing that remains is what is the plot going to be, and will they go back to their roots and keep it gritty and amusing like a Republic Serial, like Raiders? Will it be predictable or a good old fashoned cliffhanger? So many questions and speculations. The only way we're going to know is when we see the movie it's self. Some will be disappointed, to be sure, while others will utterly enjoy it. But everyone will place it in order of their favorite Indy flics. For me Raders will always be the best, followed by LC then TOD. Where this one will fall remains to be seen, but I will keep a space open in my collection for it.
Personally I can't wait to see it, good or bad.

Cheers!

Dan

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
(Blasphemy!) I always thought Tom Selleck would have been better.

I think they should recast, but I don't think it will be any good either way. What made the films was the campy, oldtime comic serial feel, and if Lucas does anything like what he did to Star Wars, Indy doesn't have a chance.

How about that Rocky VI!? ("Rocky Balboa")

geo

Johnny Depp IS Indiana Jones
I didn't dare suggest this before, but I was thinking the same. And he's a hat wearer too!

The biggest archeological discovery in the late 40's was the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls, in 1947, possible plot for the next Indy, if it's set in the late 40's.

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/encyclopedia/entry/DeadSeaS

What about an Indy movie (maybe Indy 5) with either Sean Patrick Flannery or Johnny Depp as Indiana Jones and, as Henry Jones Sr. ... Harrison Ford?

jazzwife

New in Town
At least one more for Harrison Ford

I just saw Harrison Ford in an interview last week. He looks pretty damn good for a man of what...60?

I think he would still work as Indiana as long as they don't try to pass him off as much younger. If they indicate that a considerable time has passed since the last adventure, perhaps through a flashback sequence or some such thing, he could still be viable as the character. Instead of depending on the flashy stunts, they could show that the years have provided him with experience. He could still do interesting stunts, but things which are more clever and based on brains rather than brawn.

They have developed the character well enough that there are lots of quirky traits they could expand on.

As for Johnny Depp....um, just say no.

Steve

Practically Family
Big Joe said:
Johnny Depp IS Indiana Jones.

Big Joe
That would not work. He doesn't even bear a physical resemblance to Harrison Ford. His features are much too delicate-looking to even try to pull that off.

jake431

Practically Family
The movie so far that Lucas had the most to do with was Temple of Doom. It is my least favorite. Strangely, I feel that way because it is the most like a Star Wars movie to me - Indy even talks like Han in it. If you have a chance view it again and notice the similarities in it. My point is this - so long as Spielberg and Ford have their hands firmly in the production - using the same people as Raiders and Last Crusade for most things - I think the movie will again be a great one. I can't forget that Indiana Jones was ultimately Lucas's idea, but his ideas (as proven by SW 4,5 and 6 - where others directed and wrote the script were better than movies he penned and helmed alone) need tempering to be truly wonderful.

-Jake

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Steve said:
That would not work. He doesn't even bear a physical resemblance to Harrison Ford. His features are much too delicate-looking to even try to pull that off.
I agree Steve, he is much too "feminine" (sorry to say that, I don't mean to be rude) to play such a manly role. He's an OK actor, but he just doesn't fit the role. His quirkiness might work well for a role like Willy Wonka ( which I thought stunk anyway), but it definitely will not work well for the role of an adventurous, strong, worldly, and scholarly man like Indy.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I don't know how I feel about a new Indiana Jones. There's been talk for YEARS! (I remember reading "real scripts" online when I was 14), so I'm actually dreading the new one. I love Harrison Ford, he's the hottest man ever as Indiana Jones (and Han Solo), but really he's getting old. He probably can't stand up to the beating that he did in the other movies. And not set in WWII? What's Indy without the Nazi's (and yes, I remember there's no nazi's in Temple of Doom)? I hate most CGI and the only redeeming thing in my opinion, of the new Star Wars movies is the costumes. But without CGI, how are they going to make Ford go through all he did? The cheesy-post-computor madness special effects are way better in my opinion that CGI today. Let's face it- models rocked. So, that's my two cents.

Oh, and no matter how much of a Johnny Depp fan I am- he's to artsy of a guy to be Indy.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
He's Ford Tough...

I think Harison Ford will be just fine. I know plenty of men 30 years older than I that can run rings around me and are in phenominal shape. I know of at least two seniors (65 to 75 years old respectively) that are actually body builders and one old Marine (80 years old) that does aerobic classes every night and spin classes twice a week and keeps up with all the youngsters. Like I had said before, Ford is probably in much better shape than we think, and he will look about the right age for the late 40's early 50's if he has put that many miles on his body with all of his adventures. The only things I'll sweat the details on is the story and if they use too much CGI.

Cheers!

Dan

Steve

Practically Family
Heck, while Firewall was in post-production, Paul Bettany was saying how Ford wasn't even feeling most of the punches he threw, and how he pulled of a stunt involving falling on his head seven times in a row without blinking. After hearing that, I think he's in good enough shape to bring back Indy once more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland