Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy 4 Jacket maker announced

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
For those that like the Indiana Jones jacket, it was recently announced at Club Obi Wan that Tony Nowak got the contract to make the Jackets for the new Indy 4 movie. This time they are made from cowhide rather than lamb.

http://tonynowak.com/

fedoralover

Edward

Bartender
Interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of the jacket. I've been meaning to get an Indy for some time.... as with the A2 and everything else, it all hinges on the finances.... All things considered, I'm probably going to go Wested. I'd decided on the Raiders cut (but with the Last Crusade larger internal pocket), preferrring the shorter length of the jacket in those films over the longer Temple cut, and the smaller collar and lack of storm flap studs on the earlier design. Funnily enough, I'd long ago decided I wanted to go for a steerhide in order to get something much more hardwearing than lamb. Lamb feels lovely, but I'd be too scared to wear it anywhere other than as a costume piece as it'd tear so easily. I want a jacket that'll stand up to some adventuring abuse! ;) Sounds like mine could well end up a combination of three movie designs.... :)

Doh!

One Too Many
Edward (and anyone else listening):

Get the Wested.

I actually have the lambskin, and it's my favorite jacket. I don't do many "adventures" but for normal wear (and tear) it's comfortable as all get-out. I've had mine for two years and have had zero issues with it.

Bear in mind, however, that L.A. weather doesn't permit the wearing of leather most of the year.

rebelgtp

One of the Regulars
if you want a tough wearing wested there is always the horse hide.

i have a horse hide wested raiders, and a uswings in goat. the uswings actually gets worn more. [huh]

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well, we've all discussed Indiana Jones jacket makers here in great depth, so that's not the point. I have one from US Wings in goat that I wear all the time and like very much.

BUT, why did this maker-from-out-of-nowhere get chosen for this vaunted assignment? Anyone?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I don't know that it's from out of nowhere. Apparently this maker is well known to today's Hollywood crowd and has the advantage of being local. Remember that Star Wars and Empire were shot in England, so in 1980 it was natural that Lucas's next project use the same English costumers and other support staff. That's just not the case with the new film.

Sure, it's a blow to Wested. OTOH, they will no doubt grab a very hefty chunk of the inevitable post-film jacket business, offering close repros of the Crystul Skull jacket for half of what Nowak will be charging for his "official" version. And with the same custom fit at no extra charge and willingness to accept all kinds of mods and special requests that distinguishes Wested now.

Doug C

Practically Family
I think it's wrong that Nowak got the contract, it's just not right that a maker other than the usuall Indy-repro folks didn't get it, be it Wested or one of the others. I truley believe this too, I mean it really should have gone to someone that IndyGear/COW members respect. That's because those folks have "Lived" the jacket year after year..day after day. I'm sure there is no other group of people who think and/or have thought about how this jacket should look over the years, and have analized every detail constantly. I think for someone to completely ignore that level of dedication and perfection is a slap in the face. Sort of like saying, ya'lls collective opinion doesn't amount to a hill of beans - Nowak over here, he'll just have to do.

Doug C

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
The full story isn;t out yet, but from what I can tell, Wested may not be involved partly by choice. Just the feeling I get from previous discussion on COW... and the fact that Wested seems to have helped point the producers to AB for the hats. [huh] We've been promised full details on the hat and jacket selection process when the time is right.

Doug C

Practically Family
Their customer service skills may have ticked someone off too.. it's happened to me more than once with emails and short replies. But I go back cause the product is so good.

Doug C

Edward

Bartender
Given the lapse in time since Last Crusade in '89, it wasn't unlikely that they might re-tender for the contract to make the hero jacket rather than automatically running to the original supplier as they might have done in 1990, or 1991... That said, I wonder what exactly it was that other makers weren't doing "right." It's not as if we're talking about a situation where they're being asked to design a jacket from scratch, or even to reproduce with modern materials an oreiginal 1930s jacket from an obscure maker. They were given a jacket to copy outright, pretty much? Seems a shame that Wested haven't been given the contract what with their history and the number of other original costume companies involved. Location though could well have worked against them. We're not talking only about one hero jacket, but presumably there would be several others for Ford for various shots, plus a whole bunch of other jackets for stunt crew and so on.... with this number of jackets, and if jackets are going to require running repairs or maybe even unforeseen replacement, then it makes sense to opt for a supplier based near filming location.

Doug C said:
I think it's wrong that Nowak got the contract, it's just not right that a maker other than the usuall Indy-repro folks didn't get it, be it Wested or one of the others. I truley believe this too, I mean it really should have gone to someone that IndyGear/COW members respect. That's because those folks have "Lived" the jacket year after year..day after day. I'm sure there is no other group of people who think and/or have thought about how this jacket should look over the years, and have analized every detail constantly. I think for someone to completely ignore that level of dedication and perfection is a slap in the face. Sort of like saying, ya'lls collective opinion doesn't amount to a hill of beans - Nowak over here, he'll just have to do.

I see where you're gonig with this and I can sympathise to a degree having seen and been part of this sort of thing in other fan circles, but the reality is that fans who are hardcore enough to recognise the jacket as anything other than "an old brown leather jacket" will always be in sufficiently short supply as a proportion of the mass audience the new film will be aimed at that such concerns as they may have will always be outweighed by other (financial and practical) issues. Shame, but that's the way of the world.

Doh! said:
Edward (and anyone else listening):

Get the Wested.

I actually have the lambskin, and it's my favorite jacket. I don't do many "adventures" but for normal wear (and tear) it's comfortable as all get-out. I've had mine for two years and have had zero issues with it.

Bear in mind, however, that L.A. weather doesn't permit the wearing of leather most of the year.

Here in Blighty, I can wear leather most of the year.... In all likelihood, I think an Indy (much like an A2) would be a Spring / Autumn weight jacket. Certainly will get a lot of wear when I acquire one! :) I'm definitely going to go to Wested, though. I know there are hardcore folks who believe that other makers are closer on some minor details, but for me the Wested is as close to the screen as I'm worried about getting. The real clincher is the convenience of being able to pay them a visit, talk over the options in person, and be measured up by them. Fingers crossed I'll be able to afford it in the new year.

rebelgtp said:
if you want a tough wearing wested there is always the horse hide.

Oddly enough, I hadn't thought of horse..... could be a good option for me though. :)

Doug C

Practically Family
Edward wrote:
but the reality is that fans who are hardcore enough to recognise the jacket as anything other than "an old brown leather jacket" will always be in sufficiently short supply as a proportion of the mass audience the new film will be aimed at that such concerns as they may have will always be outweighed by other (financial and practical) issues.

But that's not the point, in my view it's not a matter of what the average movie viewer will accept, but wheather the jacket is correct. And while Nowak can obviously get the look right (after copying one that was given to him), so can companies that have always supplied them to us...us being the biggest bunch of stitch fanatics on the planet regarding this jacket. Also, as for Wested being too far away from the production location, I think that point is somewhat valid - however Gibson & Barnes is not..man what about them, how could they have gotten it wrong (I'm assuming they were asked and would have wanted to)? It seams to me that when it was decided that Wested would no longer be the one (because apparently they were really really close) that Bernie Pollock looked for a quick replacement jacket producer, that's how it reads to me anyway and I may be wrong.

Doug C

Michaelson

One Too Many
Doug C said:
Edward wrote:

But that's not the point, in my view it's not a matter of what the average movie viewer will accept, but wheather the jacket is correct. And while Nowak can obviously get the look right (after copying one that was given to him), so can companies that have always supplied them to us...us being the biggest bunch of stitch fanatics on the planet regarding this jacket. Also, as for Wested being too far away from the production location, I think that point is somewhat valid - however Gibson & Barnes is not..man what about them, how could they have gotten it wrong (I'm assuming they were asked and would have wanted to)? It seams to me that when it was decided that Wested would no longer be the one (because apparently they were really really close) that Bernie Pollock looked for a quick replacement jacket producer, that's how it reads to me anyway and I may be wrong.

Doug C

G&B wanted to, but were never asked.

Regards! Michaelson

Doug C

Practically Family
Michaelson -
G&B wanted to, but were never asked.

:rage: - See that's even worse, I highly doubt Pollack was even aware of them. The lengths that were gone to to get that jacket just right (the expedition) and it just gets ignored..frustrating because it's obviously a fantastically accurate product. They should have been next in line hands down IMHO. They probably would have done it cheaper than Nowaks too (just speculation of course). Oh well...

Doug C

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran