Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy - non Indy poll

Is your thing for hats essentially connected to Indiana Jones movies?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I wasn't inspired towards that hat style by the Indiana Jones movies, but by the movies that inspired the first Raiders film. The old Republic serials (to name just one) and naturally the great Bogart whom I've loved watching since I was a kid. Also my grandfather wore one that I did inherit, but couldn't wear because of my overly generous cranium dimensions!

shoeshineboy

Practically Family
as a little guy, i grew up watching the men in town and thier sharp looking hats...i remember going to church with a straw hat like my dad's...always liked hats...

then as less hair was present and more sunburn grew...it was time to do something logical...and I am known for saying...I am at the age where I don;t give a $*#! about what other people think of me wearing a hat....

mark the shoeshine boy

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
No, the Indy films were not an influence on me.

Being the old codger that I am, I can say that I wore a fedora (occasionally) long before the release of the Indy films. My first hat was a homburg given to me by my grandfather when I was 10 years old. I regularly wear fedoras, panamas, trilbys, Kromers, tams, and newsboy caps, but I can count on my hands the number of times I have worn a baseball cap.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
For myself, I've always liked things from the 30's & 40's, and can't say any one film was a major influence.
I think I was more influenced by still photos from books I've read than anything else.

Other than watching a few scenes from the first film, (a friend asked me if the fake flying wing was a real aircraft) I've never seen any of the Indy movies in their entirety.

Russ

One of the Regulars
I have an AdventureBilt, but it's got a diamond bash and loose pinch rather than the center crease and tight pinch. Not that the average person would even know the difference...

I am even hesitant to wear my leather jacket with any fedora because I don't want to be mistaken for an Indy wannabe. I gotta be me...

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
The first "real hat" I owned was a Stetson "Indiana Jones" fedora given to me as a Christmas gift by my girlfriend (now wife) in 1982. For me, that style defines what a fedora is: dashing, stylish, while somewhat offbeat. I still own that hat. But now, 20+ years later, I don't own another one (at least another one that fits). I have a Stetson 100, Stetson Whippet, a couple of Borsalinos, and an AB Deluxe "Aviator". For me, it is not about wanting to be someone I'm not, or live in a time that I can pretend was better/safer/more stylish. I like hats. I think they serve a useful purpose (protecting me from the elements), and if I can wear one that suits my personality/ personal style, all the better. Having said that, I think now is the time that I my go ahead and order that AB- I'm thinking in Grey...

Regards,

RC

One of the Regulars
I've always liked hats and I got a fedora after watching Indy, but some chick in a bar took it to wear and disappeared with it. Since then it's been ball caps and cowboy hats until I got a bowler online a couple of years ago. That gets the odd look or two from older folks, but the teenagers often tell me i have a nice hat. :D

undertaker

Practically Family
The Indy films did not have antyhing to do with my wearing a hat. I reckon I was just born too late. I have always enjoyed watching old moviesand looking at old pictures, there is just something about the way people dressed in the 20's - 50's that fasinates me. They seem to have really cared about how they looked. They seem to have respected their selves enough to take the time to wear close that fit, and of course no man then would have gone with out his hat, it would have been unpardonable. It was important to dress well and not just for comfort. Well anyway this is coming from a fella who only has 1 pair of jeans and does not wear them very often and I don't even own a pair of tennis or atheletic shoes so take it for what its worth.

Regards,
J.S.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
For me, it was my grandpa. He was a bald headed 2nd generation Irish American who always used to wear hats to keep his head from burning. I always thought he and his hats were pretty cool. Once I got to the age where I felt like I could wear a hat like that without looking like some kid who raided his grandpa's closet, I started wearing hats more often.

The Indy thing didn't hurt though, as I was a little kid when those films came out. They might've contributed toward my favorable opinion of my grandpa's wearing hats, although not in a concious or deliberate sort of way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic