Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Indy V

Mike K.

One Too Many
I would like to see the producers pass the hat...but not to Mutt. It would be nice to see a quality film where Harrison Ford passes on the role of Indy to somebody worthwhile that can carry on the tradition (and appeal) of the original Indy films. But no more hokey alien crap or nuked refrigerators...that just doesn't fit with the standards set by Raiders of the Lost Ark.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I finally rented and watched Crystal Skull. I thought #4 was better than #2, but just barely. #2 was brutal. Ford is getting too old to play the role and I don't want to see the time period move too far into the future. I'd rather see something similar to what is done with Bond films - make several films with one actor, then move on.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
nobodyspecial said:
I finally rented and watched Crystal Skull. I thought #4 was better than #2, but just barely. #2 was brutal. Ford is getting too old to play the role and I don't want to see the time period move too far into the future. I'd rather see something similar to what is done with Bond films - make several films with one actor, then move on.

I think that if and when they find a suitable replacement for Ford, they should make more movie adventures placing him back in his heyday of the 30s, and maybe feature some of his exploits in WWII, as well.

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
I agree with the time era. I don't really think of the Indy character as someone from post 1950. I don't think the series necessarily needs to move chronologically, they could bounce around the time frame from movie to movie so long as the story line is good.

Edward

Bartender
I loved IV.... I would have hated it had they tried to pass him of as young Indy, but to me the shift to the 50s was perfect. I did enjoy it more than II. It was certainly no Phantom Menace. I really don't much care for the idea of a V..... assuming that they were planning to have it follow onfrom IV. Ford giving a cameo as an old man telling stories of his glory days - cue flashback.... - that could work. IF, that is, they can find someone who can credibly portray Jones. That, I think, would be very difficult.

But here's an idea.... with the advances that have been made in computer animation, most notably such films as Beowulf, and knowing what they can achieve in a similar vein in computer games, not least those linking to this very franchise itself.... Surely this would provide the ideal medium for further Jones adventures? This way, we could see a credible, younger Indy in his 30s/40s heyday, taking on the Nazis and whatever, while that Indy still being Harrison Ford, who could provide the voice.

On balance, though, I think I'd rather see this developed for television, as a long series of one hour episodes, chronicling Jones' war and beyond - the period 1938 to 1957, between films III and IV.

Marcus

A-List Customer
Given that the series is a cash cow, I'll probably eat my words here. I don't see Indy V happening unless they get it started within the next 2-3 year MAX. If it does happen I'd be very curious to see where they go with it. Not sure who is left to fight unless they pick up with the Russians again. I love the character and movies, but I'm nervous about them making another one.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I thought in general Indy 4 was pretty good and mostly entertaining. No worse that 2, and in some ways better. If they had made a few changes it could have been great. My main recommendation would be to remove that whole monkey vine swinging thing that seems to come from a bad cartoon. It was so bad...

Indy 5 could work. We saw Clint do Westerns into the 1980s and 1990s with "Pale Rider" and "Unforgiven" and it still worked. If we could only ditch that Shia kid...

Edward your idea for a TV series sounds a great deal like the old "Young Indiana Jones Chronicals" from the early 1990s. But instead of focusing on WWI era it would focus on WWII.

Papa Noir

New in Town
Word is that Spielberg was not overly happy with the overall story of Indy IV and that V would be a "we can do better" movie if ever made. Sure, it's about the money since IV made a ton, but he has hinted in a recent interview that he felt it could have been a better product. Harrison Ford said he would be willing to do it again depending on the script and as long as it was filmed in the next few years before he got much older. I agree with others here, as long as Indy is the lead, I'll see it, but If Shia is the lead, as George Lucas has said that may be the direction they go, count me out.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Papa Noir said:
Word is that Spielberg was not overly happy with the overall story of Indy IV and that V would be a "we can do better" movie if ever made. Sure, it's about the money since IV made a ton, but he has hinted in a recent interview that he felt it could have been a better product. Harrison Ford said he would be willing to do it again depending on the script and as long as it was filmed in the next few years before he got much older. I agree with others here, as long as Indy is the lead, I'll see it, but If Shia is the lead, as George Lucas has said that may be the direction they go, count me out.

Sounds promising... :) & welcome to the lounge!

Edward

Bartender
Chasseur said:
Edward your idea for a TV series sounds a great deal like the old "Young Indiana Jones Chronicals" from the early 1990s. But instead of focusing on WWI era it would focus on WWII.

Yes, that's exactly what I had in mind, ceptin' with Ford being directly invovled rather than another actor taking on the mantle. And seeing as we're in fantasy land anyhow, I'd love for it to feature Bill Murray as a clueless US Army General who Jones has to keep rescuing, and who them claims all the credit for Indy's achievements.... but not in a dishonest way, more that he genuinely believes he is the one responsible - c/f Hong Kong Phooey and Spot the Cat. :p

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I wouldn't mind seeing another installment. As long as they don't pass the mantle on. Ford is the only Indy. Now if they decided to make the Young Indy adventures after this, well then, thats a whole different chestnut. At that point then they would have to scare up a young Ford look alike.

Cheers!

Dan

Tiller

Practically Family
I'm kind of interested exactly when they are going to set Indy V. During the Cuban Missile Crisis? The early stages of Vietnam? Fighting commies in East Germany well looking for something left over from the Nazi era? Who is left to fight?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
If they bring IJ into the 60s, I'd be very interested to see how they allow him to use his methods in that very-different-from-previous-eras decade. Also, according to a 'history' I read somewhere on the net, Jones is supposed to have been born in 1899. That would put him in his 60s for a 1960s movie setting.

As it was for IV, he was a 60+ year old playing a late 50s-year old. How believeable is it for a character in his 60s to be doing the things he does, never mind the the real-life actor who is doing them in 'takes' with safety equipment, breaks between shots, stunt doubles, etc.

I would choose, if I had any power to do so, to keep any story line pre-1960 for the above reasons, as well as the innocence of the age just prior to the 60s.

I look forward to number five with the hope it will be better than 2 or 4. As to who he can fight, please remember that the Russians did not have a lock on Communisim, if the switch is from nazis to commies. Also, there was and still is many little countries that have tyrants and dictators aound the globe, the evil is or was out there even if the news is not reporting it.

Where has he been, US, Egypt, China, India, Italy, Germany and I forget what country in South America for the last one. That does leave alot of the world untapped for locations, so we could go anywheres and seek anything.

The constant theme is that we seek an object of great religious / historical significance and need to get it before the bad guys do. Plus we are scientists that don't believe in the boogeyman but find there is a supernatural power associated with the object.

The bad guys let slip "We seek the XXX of YYY to control the world." The object and the person or religion then puts the location into play. Select the object and the story has set elements.

Orsini

Familiar Face
"It's Better Than No Whiskey A'Tall"

IJ IV was better than no sequel at all...

The costumes were nice.

Too bad they killed off Colonel-Doctor Irina Spalko. It is the same mistake they made with Dr. Rene Belloq in ROLA.

Mike K.

One Too Many
So, given the rare possibility that Steven Spielberg might be reading this thread and taking our suggestions to heart, who would you vote to be the replacement Indiana Jones?

Staggerly

New in Town
If Transformers 2 really is doing as well as I've been hearing, I'm afraid a LaBeouf lead's going to look even more appealing to the suits.

As for who could replace Harrison Ford, I don't think anybody could. I think too much of Indiana Jones's character is Harrison Ford's near-pantomime in his physicality -- for example, the airfield fight from Raiders of the Lost Ark. There's no (English) dialogue between Ford and the mechanic, but so much character! In my mind it'd be almost like having someone take up the role of the Little Tramp after Charlie Chaplin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner