Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Info needed on Akubra

jeboat

One of the Regulars
Akubra hats

I have purchased over ten Akubra hats and you can't touch them in terms of price vs quality. I normally don't wear my hats in the rain because here in Colorado it doesn't rain that much. However, they use a good quality rabbit felt, have a real leather sweatband, and nice styling.

Even with the shipping cost they are still cheaper than David Morgan. I paid $14.95 shipping for 1 hat from Grapevinehill which is located right here in the USA!!!

You can't go wrong with an Akubra! :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

jeboat

indyjim

Familiar Face
I just received my 3rd Federation and a fern green CEO from Hats Direct.
Took all of 6 days to get here. Fine hats. I really like the CEO. This makes 6 Akubras that I now own.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Akubra fed

I love my Fed Deluxe - wearing it today due to rain (isn't Felt Hat day approaching in Sept.?).
It was quite soft out of the box and easily shaped. I skipped the Indy thing and went for a C-crown with a high pinch. If I had it to do over, I would never have steamed the shape into it, as it hardened the felt. It's softening slowly, but not like it was before.
It's a nice hat, and I really like it, but it in no way compares with my vintage Borsalino for softness. BUT - I doubt I'll buy many more vintage hats as there's a problem with so many I find that I can't seem to get around - the smell! They've sat in musty places for years, or no matter how much they're cleaned, they begin to smell like old sweat after a half-day's wearing. Someone else's sweat. Ew. The beautiful straw Cavanaugh I have reeks of mildew after cleaning and sun bathing it. Then my hair smells like old stinky hat. Ick. Repacing the sweat band and liner would make it no longer a Borsalino or Cavanaugh for me, so I put up with it. But I'm really thinking that I want to try some of the new thin felt that our hatmakers here are getting their hands on.
Again, I can't say enough good things about the Akubra Federation Deluxe. Let's see what Fedora has up his sleeve...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany