Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Info needed on Akubra

newhatguy

New in Town
Many of you have pointed me in this direction as a good choice for a quality 1st hat.....I went to the website...and found two styles I like--the Fedora and the CEO(both under fashion heading)....looked for US distributors...David Morgan and it's "sub distributors" do not list these hat styles.....that's my problem and question!

Who carries these hats? Does anyone own one and have an opinion on?Any info on spec's on these?

Thanks again,

newhatguy

dlgilbert

New in Town
HatsDirect.com has both of those styles. They're not in the US, though. They're in Australia, but their prices are good compared with most US distributors, even with the more expensive shipping.

If you don't mind doing business outside the US, they're a good option. :)

G MAN

One of the Regulars
I just bought a hat from HatsDirect, I received it 10 day's later in perfect condition,(Air Mail) , and the price was better than most.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
I have worn out several. I have purchased domestically and also from Hats at the Pier Australia (best prices and shipping), and also Hatdirect for an Akubra Federation. Hats are all the same, just who you choose to buy from. They are durable, working quality hats. Not the best finish, not the highest price either. If you do wear them a lot, with perspiration, rain, etc., they will shrink so take that into account.

newhatguy

New in Town
Thanks for the info

Why no US distributors for these popular styles(CEO,Fedora)?

Since I'm buying my 1st hat and not 100% sure size and style it seems unrealistic to pay about 1/3rd of the value of the hat in shipping only to find out its not right size,style,etc..for a size swap return shipping charges would be more than 1/2 the value of hat.

Hopefully someone knows of a US source.Or another quality hat that can be bought in US(most of you say its akubra..or nothing in this price range).

Feraud

Bartender
Here is a picture of my Akubra Federation Deluxe as of last weekend. I bought the hat in November '04. It accompanied me to New Mexico, hiking, horseback riding, use as a pillow, rain, etc.
That is about 9 months and looking good, imho.

yours truly at Kaaterskill Falls, N.Y.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Pink Fedora

Biltmore Bob--& et al I can attest to the fact that the Fawn Color does turn a nice pepto-brownish color when repeatedly rained on and worn out in the sun for a few years. Ho hum but its true. NOW, I sincerely hope my Federation doesnt lighten too much, and if it does, I doubt it will turn pink. I believe that the Federation was made by Akubra specifically for Hatsdirect. No others. I tried Hats on the Pier but it was no go. Also, you will notice that it is not listed on the Akubra website. If my opinion were solicited (it wasnt really) I wouldnt have trouble saying it was a good entry level hat. I have too many hats (my wife's recent comment), but I like my Federation!!

thefish

Familiar Face
David Morgan carries some great stuff, but his prices, (especially on his bullwhips,) is a little steep. I'd look elsewhere before I bought from them. Anyway...

I've had a Federation Deluxe for over a year now. I bought it to replace a vintage Royal Stetson that I finally killed, abd I've worn the Akubra almost every day since it arrived. Rain, shine, snow, sleet, unbearable heat and relentless sun. I can't recommend Akubra's enough.

It's been beat to hell, dropped in mud puddles, stuck out in torrential downpours, been wading through flooded fields, chased across an oily gas station parking lot, (in high wind,) survived machine gun shoots, Wild West Arts Club conventions, and gone tumbling during a parade when I fell off the back of a trailer, (tumbled, rolled, and came up on my feet. Hat stayed on my head, until I tipped it to the crowd and got thunderous applause. Minor bruising of shins and ego was all that happened!)

It has not faded in any way, nor has it stained. In fact, it just keeps looking better and better. Still on the original block, (that I did myself with a tea kettle,) and I've used no "Scotch Guard" or any other protectants or cleaners on it. This hat was made to take abuse and come out looking great.

Ordered from Hats Direct, (the only place I think you can get the Federation model,) and dealt with Jenny Weathercote from there. They were great to deal with. Very attentive, very helpful, and very committed to customer service and satisfaction.

Good luck!

-Dan

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
thefish -- Thanks for the story. Lordy, man, I am surprized that you are still around, let alone your hat!

Nice to know how much abuse my Federation will take. It should outlive me!

karol

thefish

Familiar Face
The trailer wasn't that high. It was a float-height trailer. It wouldn't have been that bad at all, but I was shooting video of the parade.

Camera was mine. $4K semi-professional model. I managed to hand it off to a friend before I went down.

Everyone thought we planned it. All those years of theatrical stage movement FINALLY paid off!

-Dan

Honduran

New in Town
I just purchased 2 hats from them, and anxiously await their arrival! I ordered "The Reef", a lightweight straw, and "The Fedora", in burnt oak. Their service has been impeccable so far, and I'll let you know if I'm satisfied after they get here.

I don't have much luck on eBay or in vintage stores, as my size is 7 5/8".

Cheers,

Brian

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
newhatguy said:
Thanks for the info

Why no US distributors for these popular styles(CEO,Fedora)?

Since I'm buying my 1st hat and not 100% sure size and style it seems unrealistic to pay about 1/3rd of the value of the hat in shipping only to find out its not right size,style,etc..for a size swap return shipping charges would be more than 1/2 the value of hat.

Hopefully someone knows of a US source.Or another quality hat that can be bought in US(most of you say its akubra..or nothing in this price range).

Here is what I would do. Get a custom made from Steve Delk Aka Fedora.

Rabbitt $150.00 or 100% pure beaver $225.00. His web site is

http://www.adventurebilthats.com/

New phone # 662-327-4644

He gives a $25.00 discount to COW members and Fedora lounge members. This way you will have a hat that will last a lifetime for close to the same price as a Akubra, plus he is a honest hat maker and won't blow smoke up your skirt like some so called hat sellers. :) :) :)

newhatguy

New in Town
Thanks for the info Sharpetoys.....Adventurebuilt seems to be a very good solution.....I didnt know about the discount...that helps....seems i could get a great quality custom hat for a very fair price not too much above my budget.

I don't wear skirts too often :rolleyes: but I really dont appreciate it it if smoke gets blown up it........so thanks for the heads up now and in the archives...regarding the online hat selling environment. I will continue to cautiously pursue my 1st hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24