Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ink removal from Stetson silverbelly

buler

I'll Lock Up
Found another hat on craigslist. It was listed as a Stetson Gun Club in a size 4X for $10.00. Also said there were 2 ink stains on it. I knew the 4X wasn't the size so I went to look at it. Ended up a size 7 (I'm a 7 1/4) but I couldn't pass it up for $10. There were 2 blue pen marks under the frontside of the brim. I was debating what to try cleaning it with and remembered a ink remover that came with a leather couch I bought. Its kind of like a tube of chapstick only a little softer. I used it as directed, which was to rub the ink and then wipe the "chapstick" part off on a rag, then repeat. Much to my surprise the first lighter pen mark was gone. I forgot to get a picture of the first one. The felt was a little "soapy" so I dabbed it with water and let it dry. Came out completely and left a slightly cleaner looking area but not too noticeable. So I went to work on the 2nd darker mark. This one didn't come off as fast, but eventually the blue ink was gone. I cleaned that area with water and let it dry. After drying that 2nd spot was still dark/dirty looking. I was going to clean it with Naptha after that but first tried my favorite, Goop hand cleaner. I dabbed and slightly rubbed the area with Goop and then cleaned with water after that. Once this dried I was left with a slightly more noticeable "cleaner" area. Since its on the underside of the brim the hat is definitely wearable now. I'm guessing a full cleaning, maybe a Naptha bath, would give it a more even coloring. I might try that next. Anyway, here are the pictures.

Bill

The hat: Stetson Brush (from Gun Club collection) in Silverbelly

3223889574_ff883e8d3e_o.jpg

After cleaning 1st light ink spot (not completely dry)

3223889684_7f8e8b3fa4_o.jpg

After cleaning 2nd ink spot

3223885726_7f8280b843_o.jpg

After cleaning 2nd spot with Goop and drying

3235335254_d4e463a1a0_o.jpg

The ink & lipstick remover used

3223072171_4669fa0598_o.jpg

CaddyKid21

One of the Regulars
Genius! Last week, in art class, someone got ink on my brown stetson, i got most of the big spot out with water, still dark. Now I just need whatever you used! This is great, those spots have been bothering me.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
zetwal said:
PS - do you DM favor one makers dry sponge over another? or is one as good as the next?

zetwal, I like the tan/gray ones more than the orange ones.

I think they'd work on this kind of stain because it's a surface stain, ballpoint pen and all. Caddykid, yours may be trickier- you say ink was spilled on it? That seems like something that'd be a much deeper stain, like it'd soak into the felt. Whatever you try, good luck.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Yes I know what you mean DM - You're recommending the dry cleaning sponge made of natural rubber. Is that correct?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
That particular one doesn't say what it's made of. And I can't tell by looking at it. The greyish rubber sponges used for a myriad of dry cleaning and restoration purposes aren't usually called hat sponges, but rather dry cleaning sponges. Dry cleaning sponges are indeed made of rubber - often natural - and work well on felt. I can't help but wonder if that's what you (and Matt in his post) prefer to use.

buler

I'll Lock Up
randooch said:
Well done! Are you going to put the hat on a stretcher 'til it fits you?

Randooch, I don't know. Its a little to western for me, but you never know. It almost fits now. Looks good with a Carhartt chore coat.

Bill

buler

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
Looks good.

There's a good chance that just a dry hat sponge would also work well.

Dinerman, the person I bought it from threw in a pack of 2 orange hat sponges. I didn't try them on it before removing the ink. I did try the sponge after to see if it made the spots blend a little more. Didn't seem to do anything.

Bill

Thanks for your report, buler. It's always good to learn from what others have tried. Seems to have worked pretty well.

For a ballpoint pen mark (as that appeared to be), I'm wondering if something mildly abrasive might have worked just as well. As dinerman noted, it's a surface mark, which is a much more treatable disease than a liquid ink stain would likely be, seeing how the latter would soak into the felt.

Perhaps a fairly fine grit sandpaper would have eliminated that mark. Those Scout brand spot-removing granules might have done the trick as well.

I like the lid. And you're right -- for the price you paid, it's hard to go wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred