Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Instruments - what do you play?

Barbigirl

Practically Family
So bringing up the Hill Street Blues theme that I play in band in 7th grade reminded me of instruments.

What instrument do (or did, in my case) you play?
Or what did you wish you played and why don't you learn?

I played the violin and the bassoon.
bassoon1.jpg

I like the bassoon better but as an imbecile teenager felt myself too cool to continue, a decision I regret still.

Forgive me if this is a repeat thread, I searched but didn't come up with anything.

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Unfortunately, I gave up dance to take band in school... (I should have stuck with both) but the French Horn is my first love so they started me out on Trumpet which I played for a few years untill I was ready for the Horn. Played Horn all through grade & high school & played Tuba for marching band. I often thought if I had the time & money I'd take them up again for my own enjoyment....

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I played clarinet in middle school. I just bought a new one a couple of years ago, but have not put much effort to take it up again.

LD

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I used to play the piano and the recorder. The piano (I just typed "paino") became frustrating for me once I ascertained that I didn't have the chops to play the way I wanted to. Now, I play the radio. :)

MinnieRose

Familiar Face
:five Katiemakeup! I played French horn, too, and now my 12 year old dd is playing it as well! YAY!!

I also played tenor sax for jazz band in high school. Still play piano for church some.

I would love to get back into playing regularly! Maybe someday!

Barbigirl

Practically Family
katiemakeup said:
Unfortunately, I gave up dance to take band in school... (I should have stuck with both) but the French Horn is my first love so they started me out on Trumpet which I played for a few years untill I was ready for the Horn. Played Horn all through grade & high school & played Tuba for marching band. I often thought if I had the time & money I'd take them up again for my own enjoyment....

My daughter Emily is first flute and plays the piccolo in her school band. Sometimes she inspires me to want to try it again but laziness sets in.

My younger daughter Caroline played clarinet last years and it was a horrible debacle. (HONK) She needs to keep to her singineg instead.

Sunny

One Too Many
I played the piano for all 13 years of school. I still play, actually, though I don't take lessons or have time to practice much. Whereas my mother is a sightreader par excellence, I play by memory. I can't sightread even from the hymnbook, but once I learn a piece my muscle memory keeps it forever. Some pieces I play I haven't seen the music in over ten years.

I've played around with the fife, but haven't had the time to make that go very far.

I love the music history in my family. My grandmother taught piano lessons in the 1960s. Since then, she has taught all of her grandchildren who live in this area - that's 12. ;) I'm the eldest of the cousins. My Bro. No. 2 got so good that he went to another teacher and has been in several competitions.

My grandmother's father was a conductor. I'm sure he played instruments as well, I just don't remember what. Her mother sang and played both piano and violin; I believe she was first chair violin in the St. Louis symphony at some point.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Sunny said:
I played the piano for all 13 years of school. I still play, actually, though I don't take lessons or have time to practice much. Whereas my mother is a sightreader par excellence, I play by memory. I can't sightread even from the hymnbook, but once I learn a piece my muscle memory keeps it forever. Some pieces I play I haven't seen the music in over ten years.

I've played around with the fife, but haven't had the time to make that go very far.

I love the music history in my family. My grandmother taught piano lessons in the 1960s. Since then, she has taught all of her grandchildren who live in this area - that's 12. ;) I'm the eldest of the cousins. My Bro. No. 2 got so good that he went to another teacher and has been in several competitions.

My grandmother's father was a conductor. I'm sure he played instruments as well, I just don't remember what. Her mother sang and played both piano and violin; I believe she was first chair violin in the St. Louis symphony at some point.

That is some swell history and how great to have such a memory for music!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
When I was young, I wanted to learn violin. My folks did not encourage it as they thought I should play something in the band. So I never learned to play anything.
At about age 25 I tried to learn to play violin and took lessons for a year. One day the fine old gentleman who was teaching said "you really needed to learn the fingering at age 9 or so. Your fingers will never limber up enough at this age to get really good."
Strike One.
The bulldog we had at the time, Sam, used to try and climb my legs when I practiced, howling and hooting and crying for me to stop.
Strike Two.

So I gave it up. [huh]

Now my youngest daughter has serious talent. We began piano lessons for her because she began playing at age 6 by herself by ear and was quite amazing. Her teacher says she is one of the most gifted kids he's ever had. BUT she dislikes learning to read music, doesn't want to practice and has asked to quit repeatedly. This week, we allowed her to "take a break." We're hoping she resumes lessons next summer. But I hate to force something that should be a joy.

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
My main instrument was saxophone. I played all except soprano throughout my school years. I am now looking for a soprano, but will settle for an alto, so I can try and learn it all again.

I dabbled with the flute for a while, since the fingerings are basically the same.

I also banged on a drum with the Drum and Bugle Corp every so often.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I played clarinet all thru grammar school, but I had to sell it when funds got tight. Years later I picked up another one cheap at a flea market -- and still fool around on it from time to time. (My cat hates it when I do, though...)

S

Samsa

I play classical guitar, though I still have several electrics. I only wish I had more time to dedicate to it.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I don't play anything. My parents sent me to piano when I was tiny but the place I was at went out of business when I was about five or so, so music as an extracirricular was replaced with other things.

I would really like to learn how to play something now, but I think I might be too old? I know you can learn new instruments as an adult but I really have no music education at all and no natural instincts for it either, so I'd REALLY be starting from scratch.

Viola

moustache

Practically Family
Started

in 2nd grade with brass(trumpet,baritone,trombone)and then changed to piano and violin/viola after high school. I still play my piano and violin occasionally.
My main focus is reading and writing music.My passion is classical.Especially late 19th early 20th century.Wanted to teach music history/classical appreciation but just didn't go back to school for that degree.
Write classical related articles occasionally.
Now,i collect cd's and sheet music.Up to 3000 classical cd's and counting.
Favourite composers:Mahler,Moeran,Bax,Beethoven,Rachmaninov,Bach,Mozart,etc.
The list would go on for line after line.

JD in Vancouver,Wa

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
I don't play anything. My parents sent me to piano when I was tiny but the place I was at went out of business when I was about five or so, so music as an extracirricular was replaced with other things.

I would really like to learn how to play something now, but I think I might be too old? I know you can learn new instruments as an adult but I really have no music education at all and no natural instincts for it either, so I'd REALLY be starting from scratch.

Viola

You know what George Burns said when someone asked if he could play the violin: "I don't know, I never tried."

I found the recorder pretty easy to play and they don't cost much.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

I play a play a 1994 Fender American Standard Telecaster and 1973 Gibson J-50. I try to play everyday, even if only to sit in front of the television and play along with whatever comes on.

fall052.jpg

Atticus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran