Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

International Sweethearts of Rhythm: America’s #1 All-Girl Band

Story

I'll Lock Up
Heard this coming home, their tales about touring Europe during WWII are pretty interesting:

http://www.riverwalkjazz.org/site/PageServer?pagename=home_template
12454.jpg

International Sweethearts of Rhythm: America’s #1 All-Girl Band

In honor of National Women's History Month, a salute to the International Sweethearts of Rhythm, the first racially-integrated "all-girl" jazz band in the country. The Sweethearts played battle-of-the-bands concerts against jazz orchestras led by Fletcher Henderson and Earl Hines.

Photo: International Sweethearts Sax Section, Chicago, 1944, courtesy Roz Cron

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
International Sweethearts

A dear friend of mine, Dawn Hampton, played with the band when it was just called The Sweethearts of Rhythm, around 1951. She played alto sax, I believe, but she was really a vocalist. She came up in the Hampton Family Band, a territory band in the 30's (no relation to Lionel). They were based in Indiana, but they played all over the midwest. Her bog bro is Slide Hampton. She's almost 79 now, I believe, and still dances like a kid at the NY Swing Dance Society dances. A great lady.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany