Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction and Living the Lifestyle...

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Hello Ladies and Gents,

Firstly let me introduce myself. My name is Peter and I am a 35 year old Aussie guy living in Sydney, Australia. I was looking through the net for vintage clothing links the other day and I found the Fedora Lounge, and I was absolutely thrilled to say the least.

I am a vintage clothing devotee, both civilian and military, and often think I should have been born in the 20?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s to the 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. I love everything about the era, and can remember ever since I was a kid, I loved watching old movies because of the clothes that the men wore, the slick oiled hair, three piece suits, ties and bow ties, dressing for dinner and the way they were always immaculately groomed. Basically to me they looked like men and dressed the way a man should dress.

When I was a bit older I discovered thrift and goodwill stores and the fact that every now and then you could pick up an old time suit, or dinner suit and that you could dress vintage if you wanted to. In Australia it is actually pretty rare to find Vintage clothing, but when you do it is usually a Tux but it is in great condition. Then came the Internet! What a great thing for an Aussie who loves vintage clothing. I can honestly say that EBay is the best site on the net. Since I became a net surfer I have been able to expand on my vintage clothing collection greatly via a number of great sites. One in particular ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äú Vintage Silhouettes ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äú has given me some amazing suits. My collection currently consists of:

?¢‚Ǩ¬¢ A 1932 set of Tails and thanks to ebay a full backed, four button pique waistcoat, a deadstock arrow stiff fronted, detachable collar formal shirt that buttons at the back and a silk collapsible top hat from the 20?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. The outfit fits me perfectly and looks amazing. It is one of my most treasured possessions. I actually got married in this outfit, as my wife and I had a 1920?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s theme wedding. The only thing I didn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t get to do on the day was oil and slick back my hair, as it is not a look my wife likes, however I am trying to change her mind.
|
?¢‚Ǩ¬¢ A 1930?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s Morning Suit complete with high waisted striped trousers, 6 button waistcoat and a one button cutaway tailcoat. I actually got this suit from the Victorian Wedding website. It looks great with a wing collar and the black top hat I wear with my tails.

?¢‚Ǩ¬¢ A 1940?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s deadstock 3 piece single breasted pinstripe suit that I got from Vintage silhouettes. This suit is beautiful. It is a grey/blue colour, with multi chalkstripes through it, a two button notch lapel jacket, 6 button 4 pocket waistcoat with single pleated high waisted trousers and is made of a thick heavy wool. It is also one of my treasured possessions.

?¢‚Ǩ¬¢ I have another pinstripe 3 piece suit that I got from Vintage Silhouettes, this one is similar to the first, more of a blue colour though and the jacket is a 6 button (two to button) double breasted jacket.
?¢‚Ǩ¬¢ A dinner suit of heavy wool with a single breasted, one button peak lapelled jacket and flat fronted, high waisted trousers with a four button lapelled waistcoat. I picked this one up in a thrift shop near my home.

?¢‚Ǩ¬¢ I also have a collection of detachable collar shirts, spats, athletic union suits, boxers and pajamas and robes. I love vintage pajamas and robes. How else can a guy look great getting out of bed with bad bedhead and creased PJ?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. I just managed to pick up a wine coloured deadstock Rabhor robe! I love it!

I will detail the uniforms I have at a later stage.

Looking through some of the links on this site it is great to see that there is a group of like minded ladies and gents, and some of you that actually live the lifestyle. As I get a little older I am coming to the conclusion that this is what I would like to do. I have all these wonderful clothes, and the only time I really get to wear them is at fancy dress parties, or in the community theatre I do. I am in awe of you guys that live the lifestyle.

Could some of you answer the following for me. It may help me pluck up the courage to begin doing what you do.

?¢‚Ǩ¬¢ What kind of reaction do you get from people? I saw one of you guys wore an ascot to work. What did your colleagues think? Did you get positive comments? Do people like the look?

?¢‚Ǩ¬¢ Do you suit up every day? I saw the website of 21st Century Fogey who started wearing a suit and tie every day and eventually people accepted it. Have you found this to be the case?

?¢‚Ǩ¬¢ Are there any other Aussie Guys and Girls out there who live the life, and where do you all meet?

?¢‚Ǩ¬¢ Does anyone know of any good barbers in Sydney that will give you the right look? There is a great old solid brilliantine hair dressing out here called Spruso that has been around since the 20?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and it is still readily available today. Would love to wear it in my hair everyday.

Basically I would love to know how you guys find living the lifestyle. As I said before as I get a bit older I find myself wanting to do what I want to do and not what the rest of the world does. You only get one life, and you may as well do what you want to do and look the way you want to look. What do you all think?

I look forward to hearing from you all

Regards
Peter

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Welcome Slicked Oz

Hello & welcome to the lounge, sounds like you've got a period clothing collection going there. My main interest area is late 1940's & thanks mainly to Ebay I've been able to build a small period wardrobe of suits, jackets ties & fedoras. On a daily basis I wear swing ties & Fedoras to work, suits/dress jackets I keep for theatre/concerts other events etc.. I guess it really depends on your lifestyle, but I wear the threads 1st & foremost because I like the look. the fact that I did many years of military living history events wearing uniforms etc. makes wearing period clothing much easier to handle for me. Once again welcome! Peter :cool:

Mycroft

One Too Many
Hey, welcome to the Lounge, man have you looked into Akubra fedoras since they are made in your home country? I am just starting the vintage life as you put it, since there is not much vintage down here. Cheers and welcome again. Anyhow, :cheers1: -it on me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy