Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introductions and your help

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Hello All!

I am here on the advice of a fellow forum member over at COW, and it looks like this is the place to be for suit advice!

In June, I have have a friends graduation to attend and I would like to get a sweet suit that I can wear with my new "Indy" fedora. I would like to get something that isn't too dressy for the occation, but something that has a definate style.

I know almost nothing about old style suits so I don't even know where to begin looking. If any of you would like to give me a crash course, and/or suggestions I would greatly appriciate it! :)

Thanks,

Jeff

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
you can scour your local goodwill or look online for vintage clothing shops in your area which will take alot of scouring sometimes to find a suit that fits the bill.

Do you have any specific interest in style of suit?

From the Indy movies you have three distinctive suit styles.

The classic two piece Navy double breasted.
gray6vi-vi.jpg

Three piece tweed
profjones.jpg

Tan grey two piece.
xmarks.jpg

Which are you looking for?

I think an easier root if you can't get a suit in a hurry and you want a more casual look that works in the boardroom and in the field is to find a brown sport jacket and mix it with complementing trousers. Sort of the Temple of Doom look.

I mix.

If you have any local outlet stores you can sometime find good deals.

Optimoprofile-vi.jpg

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
A sportcoat and trousers would definately be the least "dressy" option. Generally, too, tweed suits are less dressy than worsteds. And you can always "dress down" a suit depending on the type of shoes or shirt collar you wear.

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
Something to bear in mind: You can manage a very period look with a navy blazer and grey flannel pants. This combination, in particular, was a favourite of Fred Astaire. Looks good on just about any man.

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Awesome, thanks guys.

I am still confused as to what actually makes a suit 30's or 40's style. I went down to the thrift store and there are hundreds of jackets there, but I don't want to mistakenly look 1970's or a bad 1980's Tom Cruise!

Are there certain cuts, patterns, lengths, etc. that make a suit that style?

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Crazylegs:
I second Wackyorlon's advice: get a nice blue blazer and a set of gray trousers and you're good to go. You can make the outfit as casual or as formal as the situation dictates.

As far as styling cues, vintage looks from the 30's and 40's generally favored peaked lapels to the jackets, pleats and cuffs to the trousers. If you wish, you could opt for a double-breasted blue blazer, but I would try to steer clear of the typical brass buttons, so you can avoid the "Thurston Howell III" look.

To be honest, unless you go the tailored route, or get very lucky with size, condition, etc. of a vintage ensemble, the best thing to do is to try to get as conservative a cut as possible. By this I mean: don't have the gorge of the jacket too low, don't have the waist of the pants too low, etc. Try to steer clear of extreme designer interpretations.

This would be a good palce to start:

http://www.josbank.com/HomePage.process

At least it would give you some ideas.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Contrary to what the current culture might want us to believe, dressy is not a negative thing to avoid.

Dressy is only a problem, if you feel awkward. Others will pick-up on it. I think a lot of guys have a hard time dressing classy is because they only do it for weddings, funerals and possibly a job interview. They feel like they are wearing a costume....pretending to be something their not. You can't be hip feeling like that.

If you wear nice clothes on a regular basis, then you will feel comfortable and not think about what you are wearing. You won't be dressing classy....you will BE classy. :cool:

MK said:
Contrary to what the current culture might want us to believe, dressy is not a negative thing to avoid.

Dressy is only a problem, if you feel awkward. Others will pick-up on it. I think a lot of guys have a hard time dressing classy is because they only do it for weddings, funerals and possibly a job interview. They feel like they are wearing a costume....pretending to be something their not. You can't be hip feeling like that.

If you wear nice clothes on a regular basis, then you will feel comfortable and not think about what you are wearing. You won't be dressing classy....you will BE classy. :cool:

I agree whole heartedly. This is, however, coming from someone who does not feel uncomfortable just walking around in a top hat and tails for no reason though. :p
If I go to a wedding it is most likely in a double breasted suit---pleated and cuffed pants. Get a suit that feels comfortable and be prepared to dance. ;)
I have to be one of the groomsmen for a friend soon. The choice of tux is not exactly my cup of tea so I probably won't look comfortable but it is his choice---or I should say his future wife's choice. :p
I just hate those super shiny patent leather shoes. :eek: The gold scallop pattern vest doesn't exactly thrill me either but I can live with the single breasted regular lapel.
So what I am saying is that however you go just don't dress better than the groom. ;)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
At this point, I'd like to make a distinction between 'Dressy' and 'Stylish'.
Dressy can be as ugly as anything and remain dressy in generic terms-
Stylish, well...
What Joe Schmo wears to the office could be dressy and at the same time a universally hated disaster.
Smart and Stylish is the way to go.
B
T

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
Worth bearing in mind - that suit isn't very well tailored. The shirt collar sits too high above the jacket collar, and the shirt sleeves are too short. The tie could use a wider knot, as well, to fill up space in front. The collar in question would be best for those with a long face, those with a round face will look very odd in it.

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Hey again!

So I found a suit. It's a dark green, double breasted suit. The lady at the vintage store said it was a pretty good find. I know it's not true vintage or anything, but it should do the job. I'll post some pics in a bit.

My question is however. How do I accessorize this bad boy? Should I get a plain white shirt, what type of tie, belt, what are some good shoes?

The person who's prom it is had a 30's style dress made in a yellow and white, so could I, should I accent the colors in her dress, with my outfit?

crazylegsmurphy said:
Hey again!

So I found a suit. It's a dark green, double breasted suit. The lady at the vintage store said it was a pretty good find. I know it's not true vintage or anything, but it should do the job. I'll post some pics in a bit.

My question is however. How do I accessorize this bad boy? Should I get a plain white shirt, what type of tie, belt, what are some good shoes?

The person who's prom it is had a 30's style dress made in a yellow and white, so could I, should I accent the colors in her dress, with my outfit?

A white shirt is fine. Instead of a belt, consider suspenders. If the suit doesn't have the buttons, you can get the clip ons for now. They come in a variety of patterns. A pair of brown and white spectator shoes would be nice but regular brown would be fine too. They can be wing tips or toe caps.
The tie can really add something to the suit. Choose colors that work well with your suit and her dress. These can be browns, greens, yellows and/or reds.
I hope that helps a bit.

Regards to all,

J

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
If the trousers don't have buttons for suspenders, I would just use a belt. Clip-on suspenders are not a good idea. Belts are just as period-correct as suspenders, in many ways they are more correct than suspenders for Americans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran