Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Invasion Vest ??

Doug C

Practically Family
I've never heard of an invasion vest or remember seeing it in movies etc. Man this thing is cool looking... no disrespect for those who actually used one in military service but there must be a modern alternate use for this thing! I want one but not sure what the hell I'd do with it. But then again, it's $400.

http://www.smwholesale.com/0063.html

Doug C

Gene

Practically Family
At The Front has a repro for $175, probably comparable or better. It was used in D-Day and was highly disliked by the soldiers because it was cumbersome and generally it was discarded after a few days. I think it's practical, but then again I've never worn one!

Gene

Doug C

Practically Family
oh believe me, there's very little of this stuff I'd give $400 for, and thanks for the headsup on the one at ATF, I had missed it there before. I'd assume they'd certainly offer more value in theirs. They're out of my size but like I said I don't really have a use for one at the moment anyway.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
here's a photo I've had for a number of years,dated 6/15/44. There are quite a few interesting details in it, but note the man at far right wearing an assault vest. Also notice all the men moving forward on both sides of the road with no helmets, and wearing a gas hood buttoned to their shirts or jackets-very unusual.

01-01-12.jpg

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Funny how it's made a comeback, now they're known as Tac Vest. They are basically the same theory. I heard one of the complaints on the original were the grommets on the waist. These would not support the belt hooks on canteens or First Aid packs.

Gene

Practically Family
DutchIndo said:
Funny how it's made a comeback, now they're known as Tac Vest. They are basically the same theory. I heard one of the complaints on the original were the grommets on the waist. These would not support the belt hooks on canteens or First Aid packs.

I guess technology finally caught up with the practicality of it (synthetic fibers vs. heavy cotton duck canvas), ending the age-old era of a suspender/pack system!

Gene

Doug C

Practically Family
yea, but as with most everything from that era it was done with a better asthetic IMO. Maybe if I ever take up hunting or reenacting, I'll get one. Thanks for posting that picture, it is an interesting one but I have to admit I can't make out the vest in it.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Doug C said:
yea, but as with most everything from that era it was done with a better asthetic IMO. Maybe if I ever take up hunting or reenacting, I'll get one. Thanks for posting that picture, it is an interesting one but I have to admit I can't make out the vest in it.

It's a lot easier in the original photo. It's the guy at the very far right edge of the photo with binocs around his neck.

Doug C

Practically Family
oh.. ok, I see who you're talking about now, good eye. There must be other examples around too. Think I'll have a look when I have a chance.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Can't claim to be any sort of expert on this great bit of kit but what has been said about them being unpopular is true. Apparently they were way hotter to wear than webbing and the pockets supposedly had a habit of getting full of sand/earth when on the beach or crawling along the ground. I think it was only issued to US Ranger and so called the 'Ranger Assault Vest'.

Something like 4-5,000 pieces were allegedly made with the issue coming on the eve of the Invasion. Hence they aren't seen in pre-Invasion build-up training photos.

They were a US take on (and in my opinion a better version of) a British vest that was more complicated .

Barry Pepper's sniper character in the movie 'Saving Private Ryan' wears a cut down one as was often done by those who did keep the vest.

Personally I really like them and if I could find an excuse to be able to actually use one (and therefore be able to justify the cost of one) I would get one.

SOF Military do sell a cheaper one on their webiste but not having seen one, I can't comment on the quality.

As to modern military versions, the British SAS had a simple, mesh backed one in the late 60's in Aden and Oman and they were in action in Northern Ireland from the very early 80's along with chest webbing 'a la Viet Cong' . The latter 2 being private purchase initially (Arktis) and then issue versions available in the early 90's.

Cheers,
Dave

Doug C

Practically Family
Dave, lot's of good info there thanks. I'm going to have to watch SPR again to see the sniper's vest... I haven't watched it in a long while, so this will make a good excuse.

Eyemo

Practically Family
I have a SPR Vest...they were very well made.... The cheap SOF vests are very much an orange colour...well avoided...:eusa_doh:

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Eyemo, SOF are now doing a green / OD shade version and the 'orange' ones are on discount.

Which make of vest do you have ?

Dave

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Doug C said:
oh.. ok, I see who you're talking about now, good eye. There must be other examples around too. Think I'll have a look when I have a chance.
Check out "At The Front's" web page. It is under US Army Assault Vest they makes a copy. I was debating on getting one years back. I can't imagine going into the surf with one of those things on.

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
Funny enough they were designed with the idea being that it would be quicket to dump your kit in the event of being in water due to ship / landing craft being sunk. Webbing has too many straps and things to get caught up on whilst trying to shed it in the water in a panic.

One presumes that the lifebelt was to be worn under the vest and dumped upon getting onto dry land :)

If this direct link works you will see a photo or two of teh British versions. One full vest and one 'skeleton' vest for holding Bren mags.......

Battlejerkin1.jpg

Brenbandoliernewpictures4.jpg

The above are repros but are the clearest photos I could find quickly..

Dave

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Interesting photos, seems we copied the Brits again. I read years ago in "After the Battle" Magazine about these vests. It seems the American issued these as an "Invasion" pack. These I believe were pre-packed as a unit. I don't think they were issued empty to fill up. I think that's what the magazine said. I read this years back so I can be totally wrong. The BREN gun was said to be the finest LMG ever designed. Czech designed (BRNO) manufactured by Enfield, BRno-ENfield = BREN. My Dad was issued one in the Dutch Air Force. He loved it along with his BHP.

JoshK

New in Town
Dudleydoright said:
Can't claim to be any sort of expert on this great bit of kit but what has been said about them being unpopular is true. Apparently they were way hotter to wear than webbing and the pockets supposedly had a habit of getting full of sand/earth when on the beach or crawling along the ground. I think it was only issued to US Ranger and so called the 'Ranger Assault Vest'.

Something like 4-5,000 pieces were allegedly made with the issue coming on the eve of the Invasion. Hence they aren't seen in pre-Invasion build-up training photos.

They were a US take on (and in my opinion a better version of) a British vest that was more complicated .

Barry Pepper's sniper character in the movie 'Saving Private Ryan' wears a cut down one as was often done by those who did keep the vest.

Personally I really like them and if I could find an excuse to be able to actually use one (and therefore be able to justify the cost of one) I would get one.

SOF Military do sell a cheaper one on their webiste but not having seen one, I can't comment on the quality.

As to modern military versions, the British SAS had a simple, mesh backed one in the late 60's in Aden and Oman and they were in action in Northern Ireland from the very early 80's along with chest webbing 'a la Viet Cong' . The latter 2 being private purchase initially (Arktis) and then issue versions available in the early 90's.

Cheers,
Dave

These were actually issued to elements of the 1st, 29th and 4th Infantry Divisions(it was in fact the 4th Infantry Division which was famous for cutting these down). With some vest going to the 2nd and 5th Ranger Battalions.

If you want a very comprehensive history of the development, issuance, and use of the vest I would get the book Spearheading D-Day By Jonathan Gawne it is available from Amazon for at least $24.91:
http://www.amazon.com/SPEARHEADING-D-DAY-American-Special-Units/dp/2908182793
It is the book for all non-airborne D-Day Topics.

I would get one from ATF in the OD#7 Color as their is no, as of yet, evidence that the OD#3 ones saw use during the invasion.

-Josh

Doug C

Practically Family
Thanks for the info, links and book suggestions ya'll..! The british one is interesting and Eyemo, I'm seriously jeolous of you owning one from the movie! I watched SPR last night and these vests are all over the place in it. The best scene where it's featured is when the guys are assaulting the Radar area bunker on the way to the town of Rammel (SP?), Capt. Miller [Tom Hanks] removes his vest right before the assault, then we get a really good look of it as he wears it again immediately afterward while giveing the pep talk. I've changed my mind on what's my favorite WWII uniform... used to be the airborne, now it's the rangers with the assault vest.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy