Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Iron Heart „Pale Rider“ Evolution Thread

Rm759

New in Town
It’s a great look when you hit the sweet spot patina but it seems inevitably over time it goes into the just “dirty” look.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I need to move to Singapore for a year...

The blacken burnished patina around the IH shirt collars just from sweat. I wonder if the armpits are dark too. All the minerals leaving the body and transfer onto the leather. Add sun and oxygen becomes oxidation. Personalized character.

The IH shirt patina photo were taken with poor unattractive indoor lighting. I think with proper lighting it can look presentable, like this helmet bag with the indigo stain transfer.

Clear acrylic should be able lock in the patina, but I'd let it roll and see what it becomes in another 20 years...

i-img1200x1200-1688946179tyy1md1374355.jpg

i-img1200x1200-1688946179kpfblb1374355.jpg

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
At some point 'nice patina' morphs into 'old and dirty'.
I agree with you to a point, the collar area is a little bit much but i like the look of the rest of the shirt, especially the splatter stains from what ever is flying off the MC or from road grime flying up.
I think it is a great illustration of the "just wear it" mindset we all like to have when it comes to leather jackets.
in the end its his shirt, his stains and there are none like it..to me that's the end game

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Week 5

Still wearing the shirt whenever at can. I would say the hide is now pretty much broken in. Except for the areas where the leather is doubled up (Collar, cuffs, pockets etc.), the hide is pretty soft and has lost much of its initial rigidity.

Colour is coming along nicely, but as I am not forcing it (no treatments of any sort, no sunbathing without me in it), the process is very slow. More evo than revo…
I managed to get a black stain on the shoulder and chose to embrace it as inevitable part of the fun.

One thing worth noting is the very pronounced (“loose”) grain on the left sleeve. The leather also feels somewhat weaker than on the other sleeve. I don’t have an opinion as to when wild grain may become a defect (structural issues come into play, of course, but “weaker than” doesn’t really mean defective per se), but so far it doesn’t bother me.

IMG_6455.jpeg
IMG_6453.jpeg
IMG_6452.jpeg

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Aloysius
I was thinking the same. But those photos are an EXTREME example of total abuse/neglect.
Personally I think I'm gonna go for it with my next jacket. Got a black Vanson, getting a brown Aero. I think it will be time for a natural hh jacket next. I'm sure I'll be over my head with that one, still gathering the courage to actually order one.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@Aloysius
I was thinking the same. But those photos are an EXTREME example of total abuse/neglect.
Personally I think I'm gonna go for it with my next jacket. Got a black Vanson, getting a brown Aero. I think it will be time for a natural hh jacket next. I'm sure I'll be over my head with that one, still gathering the courage to actually order one.

Many "natural veg tan" jackets I've seen end up looking like this–the meaty colour looks quite disturbing to me. I wonder if there are some leathers less prone to it than others. For instance I think natural CXL basically looks fine.

At the same time I've liked it in some accessories. I regret buying a 'natural' western belt, but I have a phone case with a natural Horween back and that looks nice now.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ahh it's the folding kind? Very cool.

I was going to but decided to get the one without a wallet flap, because I got an Eastman wallet earlier that year and I've been using it since. Before that, though, I'd been using phone wallets for almost a decade so it was a change for sure.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I have to say, that this fits you perfectly. I know that’s not what this thread is about, but I thought I’d say it anyway.

Thank you Brian! I really like how it fits. It’s a bit more roomy, for sure, but pliable enough to not let me swim in it. Any smaller would not really be comfortable for everyday wear as a shirt.
The older I get, the more firmly I root for camp, “a little big is better than a little small”.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Tom, I am enjoying watching you chronicling the break-in and evolution of your pale rider, Id like to think I’d treat it the same as you, with no treatment no suntanning. The loose grain on the left arm looks great and is in no way a defect. (IMO)

I have a MF Campus that I’ve kind of done the same with, no treatments etc although I did give it a few days on a chair in the sun

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Week 7 - Normality has arrived

Well, happy to report that the shirt has become more or less my grab-and-go piece for casual trips around the city, grocery shopping etc. That said, the thrill of something new and bold is slowly fading and I am just wearing the Rider because I like it, not because is new and exciting.
Evo now means that the leather is picking up small stains here and there. Nothing troublesome, and IMO it just makes the shirt look more natural.

PR9.jpg

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Great fit ^.
when you sit, for instance in the car, does the collar push up into your neck?

Only minimally so. Leaving one or two buttons open at the hem pretty much does the trick for me.
The thickness aside, it´s pretty comfortable to wear as a "real" shirt for extended periods of time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner