Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Iron Heart „Pale Rider“ Evolution Thread

Hayes Nash

Familiar Face
Week 7 - Normality has arrived

Well, happy to report that the shirt has become more or less my grab-and-go piece for casual trips around the city, grocery shopping etc. That said, the thrill of something new and bold is slowly fading and I am just wearing the Rider because I like it, not because is new and exciting.
Evo now means that the leather is picking up small stains here and there. Nothing troublesome, and IMO it just makes the shirt look more natural.

View attachment 538251
great look which pants are those? IH?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Week 9

Haven’t worn the shirt for two weeks, as the weather was either too hot, too wet or too both at the same time. I did however grab the shirt once in a while to have it in the car, just in case…

Evo has continued nevertheless, and the Rider is now covered with little spots, color alterations and little marks. I love the shirt more than ever and have lost almost all feelings of self-consciousness.

IMG_6730.jpeg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Week 9

Haven’t worn the shirt for two weeks, as the weather was either too hot, too wet or too both at the same time. I did however grab the shirt once in a while to have it in the car, just in case…

Evo has continued nevertheless, and the Rider is now covered with little spots, color alterations and little marks. I love the shirt more than ever and have lost almost all feelings of self-consciousness.

View attachment 542614
Hey Tom:
Considering how SLOW the Lounge is loading, usually toward the end of the week, if at all, you might want to take pics say every 15 mins and post.
That way we could see time-lapse evo of every pore and crease.
Sorry couldn’t help myself.

On a serious note….
I love that you’re doing it the natural way. No speeding of the process, no getting there before you went.
Takes extreme discipline rarely seen amongst us jacketeers here. I applaud you and hope you remain vigilant if the quest. Thanks for the effort.

Bet that collar feels much more comfortable, appears so and looks outstanding!
B

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Hey Tom:
Considering how SLOW the Lounge is loading, usually toward the end of the week, if at all, you might want to take pics say every 15 mins and post.
That way we could see time-lapse evo of every pore and crease.
Sorry couldn’t help myself.

On a serious note….
I love that you’re doing it the natural way. No speeding of the process, no getting there before you went.
Takes extreme discipline rarely seen amongst us jacketeers here. I applaud you and hope you remain vigilant if the quest. Thanks for the effort.

Bet that collar feels much more comfortable, appears so and looks outstanding!
B

Thank you, Bowen!

I don’t know about discipline, but I somehow managed (for the moment at least) to get out of that vicious circle that only the newest piece is of interest and needs to be replaced by something even newer before there’s even a remote chance of serious wear.

I am wearing nothing else than the Pale Rider in my free time since I got it, so there’s absolutely no need to artificially speed up the aging.

Posting about the journey and reading about your and everybody’s reaction helps me to keep the fascination alive, so thanks much to you and all fellow loungers for reading and commenting.
There will be other pieces before long and more serious “outerwear” when the weather gets colder and wetter, but right now I am very happy with my “one good thing” approach (pun intended, of course :)).

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Week 15

Have been on holiday etc, so only sporadic wear for the last weeks. Still, the leather is ever-changing and - at least to my lovers-eye - only gets better with time.

Cold and windy today, so I’m layering with a long-sleeve. Still a bit chilly, so I may want to switch to a proper jacket soon.

IMG_7057.jpeg

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I will be starting soon the aging on this custom horween natural 4oz shirt Im guessing this is the thread to post b4 and after

Please do! Will make me break out the PR again. Have worn it maybe 2, 3 times since October. I have come to find that in cooler, unstable weather I grab a proper jacket by default.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
9 Months, almost to the day.

After a predictable winter break, I broke out the Rider again. Almost summer temperatures, so no real jacket needed for the time being.
After neglecting the shirt for a couple of months, I can’t help but be amazed how much the leather has darkened.

IMG_8439.jpeg
IMG_8438.jpeg

X83

One of the Regulars
Please do! Will make me break out the PR again. Have worn it maybe 2, 3 times since October. I have come to find that in cooler, unstable weather I grab a proper jacket by default.
Here is from day 1 till now only warn a handful of times but did soak in the sun

Attachments

• IMG_3153.png
    IMG_3153.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2790.png
    IMG_2790.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3305.jpeg
    IMG_3305.jpeg
    805.6 KB · Views: 57

BigPond

Familiar Face
Love this thread. Really appreciate you all keeping up with updates.

It seems like natural just gets better over time and imo looks best beat up and a little messy

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Looking at this shirt’s evolution pic, I find it sad that natural leather has an expiration date — when the shirt looks so dirty that the owner no longer desires to put it on.

Well, every substance known to mankind has an expiration date... (Said a civil engineer to me once when we were looking at earthquake damage).

That´s exactly why I am not a fan of artificial (speed) aging. If I like something, I also like to maintain it. I do like the evolution, but I don´t need to speed it up (other than maybe enhanced break-in when a piece of kit is otherwise simply uncomfortable).
Some have "accused" me of babying my stuff, but for me it´s simply maintanance to wear my Horween CXL in the pouring rain and not my Himeji veg Tan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner