Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Lever

One Too Many
I am amazed that a jacket can last so long and see such use. This makes me wonder if today's repro jackets will have the same lifespan. Lost worlds certainly make very heavy duty shearlings but I wonder if these will crack along natural fold lines after 20 years or so ?
John

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Later 30's Irvin to compare.

Just for those who are curious. (plus JG Sqn mascot in foreground!! as she's a sweet little German girl).

ShuttleworthCollection039.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Great pic Paddy! And very nice Irvin (Eastman?), you look the part :eusa_clap

I like the Gladiator in Norwegian colours in the background as well!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Smithy, re; Irvin.

Smithy said:
Great pic Paddy! And very nice Irvin (Eastman?), you look the part :eusa_clap

I like the Gladiator in Norwegian colours in the background as well!

Original Irvin. Late 30's.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
Original Irvin. Late 30's.

Good grief that's in good nick then!!!!

It is in such good condition, it looks only a few years old. You must be proud as Punch with that, nice one!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
(Pics) Comparing the Original vs Eastman

For your enjoyment. The Eastman is the lighter coloured, the other is the late 30's original (which is in excellent condition as you say Smithy)l.

EastmanIrvin001.jpg

EastmanIrvin007.jpg

EastmanIrvin002.jpg

EastmanIrvin003.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for those pics Paddy, you are the very lucky owner of two beautiful Irvins.

Gary really has done a fantastic job with his repros, they are just so close to the originals. I'm ordering a 1940 Pattern from him, and he's been so thoroughly helpful with all my raft of questions. Looking forward to it!

I have an original in storage (too hot here for the old girl) but it looks like she's been run over by a steamroller.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Eastman Irvin is loosely based on one originally made by Wareing and Co, rather than on Irvin Air Chute. Wareings was a large volume maker of Irvins from the 1930s and throughout the war years. They have common characteristics, which include wide belt loops, large collar securing rings and often thiner seam tapes. Here is a mid 30s Irvin by wareing and Co and a mid war jacket by the same maker.

Irvin30sa.jpg

1941Irvina.jpg

1941Irvinb.jpg

1941Irvind.jpg

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Lovely jackets Aswatland. Just out of interest how many Irvins do you own? You seem to have a great collection going there.

aswatland

Smithy said:
Lovely jackets Aswatland. Just out of interest how many Irvins do you own? You seem to have a great collection going there.

I currently own six original Irvins: 1933, 1935, 1939, two from 1941-2 and a late war multi-panel Irvin. Sold my Coastal Command jacket to fund the new Werber A2!

John Lever

One Too Many
aswatland said:
I currently own six original Irvins: 1933, 1935, 1939, two from 1941-2 and a late war multi-panel Irvin. Sold my Coastal Command jacket to fund the new Werber A2!
Andrew, I feel much better now ! I have three b3's at the moment.
My earlier message referred to Paddy's Eastman. I sold it to him.
John

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
IRVIN question

As discussed earlier here, the Irvin from Aviation leathercraft is a bit on the bulky side, for most users.
Which is then the right one? Aero's or Eastmann's?
Just chekkin'...

aswatland

John Lever said:
Andrew, I feel much better now ! I have three b3's at the moment.
My earlier message referred to Paddy's Eastman. I sold it to him.
John

I also own three B3s- a mint two tone H. Bernstein, an unknown maker in almost mint from 1942 and a two tone 1942 Cable. Am now running out of space at home!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Spitfire said:
As discussed earlier here, the Irvin from Aviation leathercraft is a bit on the bulky side, for most users.
Which is then the right one? Aero's or Eastmann's?
Just chekkin'...

From what I've read and seen Spitty they are fairly close to each other. I've personally picked a 1940 Eastman as from the images I've seen it's pretty damn close to an original and it's got some nice little touches like the band under the collar to keep the collar up when it's raised.

I'm looking forward to it and just the thing for Norway, I'll get a fair amount of use out of it in the cooler months ;)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
When is you new, old IRVIN supposed to arrive Smithy?
Bet you can't wait...;)

By the way, I have decided to get myself a new pair of 1936 pattern flyingboots from Aero one of these days now. In my correct size!!!!
(So if anybody is out looking for a pair in size 11 (Avirex) - give me a call, drop me a mail. They are cheap - and almost never worn.)

aswatland

Since posting this thread I now know that the earliest Irvins made by Irvin Air Chute had Dot zips, with "Dot Made in England" on the brass pulls. There was no crown or AM until late 1940. My 1933 Irvin has an unmarked slider bucket, whilst my 1939 Irvin has "Dot Made in England" stamped on it. Dot Deco zips were only used as sleeve zips. From around 1938 some Irvins had cast alloy sliders, whilst others had brass pressed sliders. The pulls on the cast sliders were prone to become detached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou