Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a beret a seasonal hat?

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I have a black wool beret that I really want to wear, but I am wondering if berets are seasonal. Are they mainly for the fall and winter? It is spring time here in Arz and it is already 80* at 1:00pm... I am not worried about the heat of the hat (as I have been known to wear opened toed sandals in the middle of winter in Min) I am a style before comfort kinda gal, I just don't want it to be out of place. Thanks.

~Lolita

magneto

Practically Family
Hi LolitaHaze (how's Clare Quilty doing these days? :) )--
lMO, berets can be worn any time--I have berets in different colors/materials and wear them in the summer, if they balance the "weight" of the rest of my outfit at the time (so, use the same general principle as for any hat; a black wool hat would overpower a short-sleeved chiffon dress and light-colored sandals, fr'instance)...
But then I live in a place where "hot" and "summer" are mutually exclusive! :)

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
magneto said:
Hi LolitaHaze (how's Clare Quilty doing these days? :) )--
lMO, berets can be worn any time--I have berets in different colors/materials and wear them in the summer, if they balance the "weight" of the rest of my outfit at the time (so, use the same general principle as for any hat; a black wool hat would overpower a short-sleeved chiffon dress and light-colored sandals, fr'instance)...
But then I live in a place where "hot" and "summer" are mutually exclusive! :)

Hehehehe If only Clare paid me any mind anymore... :)

Wonderful... I was wondering about it since summer is the only season we have here in Phoenix! :) I thought it would look cute with a nice short sleeved sweater and a skirt of sorts.

Thanks for your help!!

KAT

A-List Customer
i really like that example of wearing a beret
pho1022r8fm.jpg

magneto

Practically Family
LolitaHaze said:
Hehehehe If only Clare paid me any mind anymore... :)

Wonderful... I was wondering about it since summer is the only season we have here in Phoenix! :) I thought it would look cute with a nice short sleeved sweater and a skirt of sorts.

Thanks for your help!!

You're welcome! I'm sure if you look at pictures of 1930s-40s ladies' sportswear (not modern sportswear!!), you'll see lots of berets being worn outside the winter months (I keep of thinking Marlene Dietrich playing golf in a beret). In addition to skirts, probably wide-legged pants would look good too, if you wear those, sort of a nautical look...

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Kathy, Thanks for posting this! I think with a few pins and tucks I can get my hair to look like that. Although I don't have the same color... yet!

KAT said:
i really like that example of wearing a beret
pho1022r8fm.jpg

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I don't have a pair of the wide legged pants, but I have been wanting a pair for forever! I have 2 patterns for pants, but I don't know if they will look the same...

magneto said:
You're welcome! I'm sure if you look at pictures of 1930s-40s ladies' sportswear (not modern sportswear!!), you'll see lots of berets being worn outside the winter months (I keep of thinking Marlene Dietrich playing golf in a beret). In addition to skirts, probably wide-legged pants would look good too, if you wear those, sort of a nautical look...

maisie

Practically Family
I agree that it's what you wear it with, and if you want to wear a beret teamed with a suit (for example!) in the summer months, then go for it!!:)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yes, and they actually had berets of linen in the 20's and early 30's that would look smashing with a linen suit. If only I could get my hands on one of those.... and I'm certain one that isn't a thick wool would work really well with a dress.

job

One Too Many
Where can I find a Beret to go with a uniform and is not hot to wear. Maybe cotton or linen and looks like military issue.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
How funny, I had been pondering just the same question, now that warmer weather is upon us!

I agree with the responses, especially the part about it balancing your outfit- all my berets are wool and I would not wear them with, for instance, a light cotton day dress or a circle skirt and blouse. I think it depends on the formality, heaviness and type of your outfit. I do find that they look best with more formal or fall/winter things- trench, suits, a less summery dress - but at this time of year I would still go for them on slightly cooler days, with perhaps a shorter pencil skirt and short-sleeve sweater.

Isis

One of the Regulars
I'm making a 40's wardrobe from the advices of a book from -44. It clearly states that berets are to be worn all year round. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR