Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it or is it not, that's the question?

shindeco said:
I remember once asking for tweed trousers in a men's wear shop (fairly tony one, too) to be told that tweed was never used for men's trousers as it didn't last; it would rub itself between the legs. I just thanked the twit and left the store but I was thinking "so the pair I've been wearing for the last 12 years doesn't exist??"

Funnily enough that's exactly what the tailor in my home town said. He told me: Sir, noone makes suits out of tweed. I stood for a moment and then pointed to the tweed suit i was wearing. Haven't been back ...

bk

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It's not so out of the question that the tailor wouldn't know that tweed suits exist when you consider what most people call tweed these days. Pretty much, any suit with a houndstooth or Glen Plaid pattern, be it woven or not, is called "Tweed." -Even the softest of wools. I suppose definitions become expansive.

Still, I would like to order a Harris Tweed suit; from head to toe in tweed with a waistcoat too.;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hemingway Jones said:
It's not so out of the question that the tailor wouldn't know that tweed suits exist when you consider what most people call tweed these days. Pretty much, any suit with a houndstooth or Glen Plaid pattern, be it woven or not, is called "Tweed." -Even the softest of wools. I suppose definitions become expansive.

Still, I would like to order a Harris Tweed suit; from head to toe in tweed with a waistcoat too.;)

I'd love to order a slew of Harris Tweed and have a three piece double breasted belted back suit made! Ahhhh, that would be so sweet!!!

=WR=

Got myself a 40s Donegal tweed sportcoat on eBay. Well, not official Donegal tweed, you understand, but the same weave and flecking. Made in the USA.

I saw a 20s belt back 3 piece Donegal tweed suit in a store in san francisco - for $650! Crazy money. In my size though. I didn't want to try it on because they'd make me buy it, i'm sure, after covering it in my drool ... Truly it was a beautiful suit.

There are some weavers in the Scottish borders (in the Hawick environs, mainly) doing some really nice Donegal-inspired tweed for decent prices.

bk

Wild Root

Gone Home
Baron Kurtz said:
I saw a 20s belt back 3 piece Donegal tweed suit in a store in san francisco - for $650! Crazy money. In my size though. I didn't want to try it on because they'd make me buy it, i'm sure, after covering it in my drool ... Truly it was a beautiful suit.

bk

Wow, a 20's Donegal tweed? For $650. may seem like crazy money but, when you think of the cost of having a new one made that wouldn't be as good as the original, it's really cheap when you think of it. However, $650. is a lot of money to spend on any item of clothing I think but, if some one goes custom and spends $700+ and doesn't get what they wanted, I'd say to drop $650. on a vintage suit that fits, there really isn't a question as to what would be better if you had $650. extra bucks to blow on a suit.;)

=WR=

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I just checked my sportcoats; all contemporary: two Harris Tweed and one Yorkshire Tweed. I don't even know what a Yorkshire Tweed jacket it is, but I bet it was woven in Yorkshire. ;) It is a very nice plaid.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Yes, I'll take some photos today some time of the DB coat and post them here. As to what you'd wear with a cap such as that Mr. H, you'd be best off with a solid brown or tan. Don't have to have a suit match the pattern because that would be an over kill I think.

Yeah- that happens alot here. Women who don't know how to dress wear too much Burberry. It's like nova-check hat, nova check coat, nova check purse, nova check shoes, and a suble novacheck on the collar of the polo shirt. It's quite gruesome. It's like Burberry got an upset stomach and puked on them.

Wow, a 20's Donegal tweed? For $650. may seem like crazy money but, when you think of the cost of having a new one made that wouldn't be as good as the original, it's really cheap when you think of it. However, $650. is a lot of money to spend on any item of clothing I think but, if some one goes custom and spends $700+ and doesn't get what they wanted, I'd say to drop $650. on a vintage suit that fits, there really isn't a question as to what would be better if you had $650. extra bucks to blow on a suit.

Man- that post went in circles.... haha

The real Henry

Practically Family
Wohoo! Two Harris jackets at one day!:cheers1: Both are great and should fit nice.
n4w5z9.jpg

n4w65j.jpg

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I like that herringbone, Henry.
I have a suit, but I'm not sure what to call the fabric. It's not really tweed, but it sort of is. It feels fuzzy, but it has a twill weave. Does it sound like a flannel?

The real Henry

Practically Family
Well, looks much like tweed IMO. Anyway a great suit! I was going to combine the jackets with officer's pinks and a khaki or white shirt. Sounds familiar, doesn't it!;)

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Herringbone is just a weave, but it is as much a tweed as any other. Tweed just implies homespun or woven wools. It's a alternating diagonal- kinda like alternating twills. The 1st one in your picture, Henry, is a herringbone.

Root, got any pictures of woven ties, especially the square bottom ones? I think they'd go alright with one of those tweed jackets. A bow-tie with tweeds is always scholarly, too.

Bellytank- how thornproof is "Thornproof'? BTW I never knew how well a horizontal striped tie goes with a check.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I agree, you don't want it to look as if you are trying to "create" a suit by pairing too-similar colors of sportcoat and pants.

My personal favorite combination for tan sportcoats is ivory/cream/off-white trousers. It is very period correct, looks smashing and is very distinctive today when so few people have pants in that color.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Vladimir Berkov said:
I agree, you don't want it to look as if you are trying to "create" a suit by pairing too-similar colors of sportcoat and pants.

My personal favorite combination for tan sportcoats is ivory/cream/off-white trousers. It is very period correct, looks smashing and is very distinctive today when so few people have pants in that color.

Well said there friend! Ivory or cream colored pants would also look smart as would the dark shades of brown or gray. Anything that is darker or lighter then the tweed would work. Remember, they must be a good contrast meaning not to close to the tone of what you're pairing it with.

=WR=

PS. I have only one tie that's woven with a squared off bottom. It's from the 30's from what I know.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, they are the "unfinished" styled which are stitched so they wouldn't fray but, look frayed. I'll post a photo of a few so you understand what we're talking about. I'll post a few ties in General Attire. This is the suit room so, let’s stay on track folks!

=WR=

kools

Practically Family
Last week I won 6 deadstock woven ties from the '40s, for $9.99. The seller said he'll throw in a few more more free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy