Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it or is it not, that's the question?

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Belly Tank,

Imagine how that suit will look while wearing 3D glasses. :cool: Wow!

Also, I love that tie... any other pics of it on hand?

Nice tweeds, Mr Tank. Gotta love the high button stance. How does it look in the flesh? More towards the green or brown?

On Henry's jackets: love them. I have a soft spot for Harris tweed (and Donegal too, but that's a different thread) Any wool tie will go very nicely (in muted colours, of course). With my harris tweeds i usual wear my old school tie - heavy weight wool in Black Douglas tartan - or a nice grey wool similar weave tie i picked up at the goodwill. matching the tie texture to the jacket will allow a smooth cotton shirt (or non-tweed pants, maybe dark brown gabardine) to work well ...

bk

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Answering...

There are some pics of my suit in the UK meeting thread-
here's one of them-

31-01-2006-boisdale-grup-1.jpg

It's definitely in the green- see my avatar/swatch. Trousers are very high and waistcoat is short but no shirt showing.

Thornproof is 'more' 'thornproof' than looser/softer tweeds. This one has quite a hard finish/handle.

The striped tie is too short to wear with just a shirt- it's English and a very fine silk knit.

The tie in the above photo is rust coloured rayon twill with a pheasant print.

B
T

The real Henry

Practically Family
@BellyTank: Nice, very nice! Can you please tell me what hat you are wearing in that pic?

@MK: Oh, sorry! I thought I already did! Anyway, with 'over here' I mean Germany!;)

Beware that the colour isn't too close to the colour of the jacket. Unless it's an absolutely perfect match, it'll look bad.

I'd go with high contrast - either much darker than the jacket or much lighter. Every monitor renders colour differently. If i was trying to find a pair of trousers to go with a specific jacket i'd go out to a store just to be sure it looked right before i bought them. The internet is a little risky for such business.

bk

Wild Root

Gone Home
Can't see anything, the Link isn't working at the moment.

Being into vintage fashion for over 10 years, I know what works and what works best. Tweed will always look better paired with a dark pair or very light pair of pants if not paired with a matching pair of tweed pants. If you have a nice tan/yellow tweed, dark brown would offer the ultimate contrast and so would a nice pair of ivory colored pants but, it depends on the time of year really to wear ivory.

Colors that offer little contrast will make it look like you're trying to make a sport outfit a suit... never works. Trust my judgment my friend, you'll want to find a nice pair of dark brown or maybe even charcoal trousers for one of your tweed blazers. ;)

=WR=

PS. If you have gray tweed, black works best.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Is this thread going in circles or is it just me?
I think we established that trying to force 2 similar colors together to form an outfit will result in an attempted "suit" and will ultimately look bad on the wearer. If Henry still wants to get pants like that, then so be it. Sometimes you need to learn from experience.
Besides, I think he is trying to look like the gent sitting closest to the camera on the right.
t18.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy