Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is it possible to catch Christianity

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
You cannot keep a good Christian from a reception. :essen:

Especially a Lutheran, it's a sin to miss free food.

Wait, that's Baptists, Lutherans feel obliged to bring a hot dish. :D

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
While I don't belong to any religion myself, I don't have any problem going to any friend's wedding -- I've been to Methodist, Congregationalist, Episcopal, Catholic, Jewish, Jehovah's Witness, and New Age weddings, and am planning to attend a Baptist wedding this summer. I don't have a problem with any of them, because *it's my friend's day,* not mine. When a friend is getting married and invites me to share in the occasion, I count it as a privilege to go, no matter where it's being held. And I haven't caught anything yet.

(However, I did have a bad encounter with some dodgy cole slaw at the New Age reception, but we won't get into that.)

Exactly. You're going to watch your friends day not to be converted. I know a guy who told me; "oh you shouldn't have gone to a Buddhist wedding":p What a nut!

Well, my skin doesn't usually start burning until after about an hour and a half in a church so i can usually make it through the ceremony ;). Anyone see the Karl Rove episode of American Dad? Yeah, just like that.

Being invited to the whole deal and only turning up for the food without a valid excuse is just oustandingly rude.

That said, i don't even know 60 people that i'd invite to my wedding. Our wedding consisted of about 20 people - and there was booze on hand (Dutch courage!) so no excuse for not turning up, eh? Very civilised . . .

bk

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Booze fest

My wedding was held outdoors 150 plus guest ceremony and reception under a big top tent rolling clouds and hills off Saratoga Lake. The ceremony was Quaker style with all attending able to speak during an open floor portion. We had a swing/rockabilly band and barbecue. Lots of spirits.

Elaina
I must be the weirdest person in the world...we had kids there, so we had no booze. I don't think my son's ever seen me drink, and I know my kid sister hasn't.

On the other hand I photographed a large boozeless wedding just as fun and grand that went on till 4am

Christian is as Christian does...

Spirts or not all in good Spirits.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PrettySquareGal said:
I took it to mean, as a joke, that I find mindless slapstick to be funny and therefore I am not a good judge of cleverness.

I took it to mean that I was a comic genius, just like the 3 Stooges. :D

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Seriously, its not like its hard to figure out how to act even at a service of a very different faith. Arrive on time, wear a nice suit/dress, and just act decently. It ain't rocket science folks!

-Viola

RedPop4

One Too Many
We invited 400....I'm an only child, and my mother is the youngest of her generation in her extended Sicilian family. We had a lot of "payback" invites.
The Church was packed, on both sides of the aisle, I'm pleased to report. And, both of us being Catholic, we heard many people behind us praying the prayers of the Mass. This was extremely uplifting and quite unforgettable.

The whole point of the invite is for friends and family to support the couple pledging themselves to each other. Present or not, you don't support them by showing up for free food and booze, only.

warbird

One Too Many
RedPop4 said:
We invited 400....I'm an only child, and my mother is the youngest of her generation in her extended Sicilian family. We had a lot of "payback" invites.
The Church was packed, on both sides of the aisle, I'm pleased to report. And, both of us being Catholic, we heard many people behind us praying the prayers of the Mass. This was extremely uplifting and quite unforgettable.

The whole point of the invite is for friends and family to support the couple pledging themselves to each other. Present or not, you don't support them by showing up for free food and booze, only.

Well said. If someone thinks enough of their faith to get married in a church and you want to show them respect on their wedding day, you should go to their service. It isn't about you or whether you are of the same faith or denomination. Hell it isn't about you at all. It's all about them. As Redpop said, it's not about the free food and booze either.

As far as how to act. This is common sense, I can think of nothing else to say. I would think any gentleman or lady could figure out how to act at such an event. Viola put it well, I think.

In fact, if you can't attend both then attend the service. Better to go to the service and show respect and not cost the family money, than not think enough of them to go to their service and then cost them money by going to the reception. Usually it's pay by the count.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I too went to a wedding this weekend and noticed it seemed there were more people at the reception than at the wedding. I thought maybe it was just my perception because the church was so big. It's possible some didn't show up at the church.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
warbird said:
Better to go to the service and show respect and not cost the family money, than not think enough of them to go to their service and then cost them money by going to the reception. Usually it's pay by the count.
Guests PAY their way through gifts and checks.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
Guests PAY their way through gifts and checks.

At most weddings I've been to, which admittedly is not that many, there's way more food/drink/dj stuff than the usual gifts, excluding the exuberantly generous gifts of parents and grandparents of the couple, who are often the ones helping to pay for the wedding in the first place.

-Viola

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany