Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is it possible to catch Christianity

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
PrettySquareGal said:
I took it to mean, as a joke, that I find mindless slapstick to be funny and therefore I am not a good judge of cleverness.
Often lost under Stooge slapstick is some occasionally witty banter. :p

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
Guests PAY their way through gifts and checks.

I object to the idea that giving a wedding gift to a couple obligates them to reciprocate in any way, including throwing a party. A gift is only a gift if there aren't strings attached, and wedding gifts should be given solely because one wishes the new couple well in their new life together. Couples who receive wedding gifts may be obligated to reciprocate via a thank-you note, but this is out of politeness and a desire to express gratitude for the well wishes and generosity that motivated the gift. Not compensating the giver for the gift itself.

This is why a thank-you note is a proper response for both an inexpensive gift and an incredibly, ridiculously lavish one. The cost of the response doesn't parallel that of the gift, but that's the way gifts work.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Must admit that I am the kind of fella that skips the ceremony and only attends (or should I say, get dragged to) the reception. I've only been to about 3 or 4 weddings, and they've all been the same - beer, coke, assorted grub of the crunchy variety, a thick cloud of smoke hovering above eye-level in the room, men with half-buttoned shirts and their marvelous chest fur on display, folks hogging the camera, and some crummy band consisting of some guy in cowboy gard on the keyboard (thus filling in for about 3 other "musicians"), and in more formal cases, a fella with a bass. And of course, little kids scurrying about making everyone trip.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Well CharlieH, I wish there was more country bands and fewer klezmer bands at the weddings I go to. A Jewish polka is still a polka, people!

Actually, I would pay biiiig money to hear a bluegrass band do Hava Nagila.

Preferably one of those 80-year-old man singers from Kentucky, "Round and round we go, folks. Hav-er Nagiler, Hav-er Nagiler!"

lol

-Viola

S

Samsa

Viola said:
Well CharlieH, I wish there was more country bands and fewer klezmer bands at the weddings I go to. A Jewish polka is still a polka, people!

Actually, I would pay biiiig money to hear a bluegrass band do Hava Nagila.

Preferably one of those 80-year-old man singers from Kentucky, "Round and round we go, folks. Hav-er Nagiler, Hav-er Nagiler!"

lol

-Viola

Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series Volume 1 has a version of him doing Hava Negeilah. It's folk, not bluegrass, but absolutely hilarious.

Lord Jagged

New in Town
I've been to a lot of weddings in the UK over the years and almost invariably the ceremony has far fewer people than the reception. High Church services are really nice, but I suspect meaningless for most Brits.

I wonder if, rather than a fear of catching a religion, it’s actually the slight feeling of hypocrisy some people feel in attending church only for weddings and funerals that puts some people off? Personally I like the whole thing, a good ceremony sets up the whole day and the receptions can be great fun! My daughter is full of stories of how my dancing at weddings has scared her for life, but she says it with a grin.

moustache

Practically Family
koopkooper said:
Well I asked the parents who paid for the wedding and they said everybody was invited and they were shocked some people just came for the grub and the booze.

Which is the reason my wife and i(along with many other couples we know)did NOT include alcohol at our reception.It's one thing to open a bottle of champagne for the couple only.But no booze.It is always a recipe for disaster.Our food was light and in short supply.Hence,we had no crashers or disrespectful attendees.

It was a delightful wedding!!

JD

June

Familiar Face
I was floored a few years ago to see several guests at a church ceremony wearing jeans and T-shirts. But these same people dressed to the nines for the reception a few hours later. I'd never encountered this growing up in VA, so I wondered if this was more prevalent in the northeast. Was it because they didn't want to remain dressed up for the time between the wedding and the reception [huh]

Haversack

One Too Many
Samsa wrote: "Actually, I would pay biiiig money to hear a bluegrass band do Hava Nagila."

Probably wouldn't be any weirder than a traditional Irish folk group like The Chieftans doing "Cotton-Eyed Joe". Didn't Kinky Friedman have a C&W band that could probably pull off Hava Nigila?

Haversack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot