Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is lipstick out?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paisley said:
I've always been very prone to chapped lips and live in a dry climate. By "chapped," I mean cracked and bleeding. I've tried other lip balms, but Carmex is the only one that works for me.

I've never heard that salicylic acid is a drying agent.

It is actually aspirin...used full strength, as a mask, I find it to be drying in a good way, on acne!
But I don't think there is enough of it in Carmex to make a difference, as it is second to the last in the ingredients list, and not even mentioned as an active ingredient.

I am a Carmex fan too, it seems to be the only balm that stays on all night while sleeping.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I've been using a dab of the classic blue Nivea and vaseline and it works quite well but I hate the feeling and the vaseline lid is a nightmare to get off each time. I do the routine in the morning before even applying any kind of lip balm and lipstick and in the evening before going to bed. I just haven't found a lipbalm or lip conditioner that doesn't have the reverse effect of what I'm trying to achieve.

The lipbalms from Dove aren't too bad but you can't use too much pressure on them or they'll break, in my experience.

I'm wearing a highly annoying gloss with a slight purple tinge and purple glitter in that came as a free gift. I can see why they have to give it away for free!:mad:

olive bleu

One Too Many
I really have'nt paid too much attention to what everyone else is wearing, but frankly, i won't take the garbage out without lipstick.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Lillemor, have you tried Burt's Bees regular lip balm? It's natural, and I use it obsessively. I can't stand Vaseline on my lips, either.

If you keep with the Vaseline, maybe you could try getting a little makeup container with a snap-open top and put some it in there, to make it easier to open?

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Swedish military lip balm

2duoFHUD.jpg

This is my favorite, I couldn't survive without it. First of all it only costs around $2 (9 ml) and lasts forever. The lips absorb it well, I usually put in on after brushing my teeth and before lipstick/ bed. It's been around for 40 years and was used in the military for all kinds of things from healing blisters to frying sausage :eek: . Contents (I'll attempt to translate): tallow, peanut oil, yellow wax, lemon acid, vanilla
tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), BHT (butylhydroxitoluen) and sorbin acid.
If anyone in the U.K. or the States is interested I'd be happy to send it in exchange for cold cream (for example) in the future!:)

Smuterella

One Too Many
cherry lips said:
2duoFHUD.jpg

This is my favorite, I couldn't survive without it. First of all it only costs around $2 (9 ml) and lasts forever. The lips absorb it well, I usually put in on after brushing my teeth and before lipstick/ bed. It's been around for 40 years and was used in the military for all kinds of things from healing blisters to frying sausage :eek: . Contents (I'll attempt to translate): tallow, peanut oil, yellow wax, lemon acid, vanilla
tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), BHT (butylhydroxitoluen) and sorbin acid.
If anyone in the U.K. or the States is interested I'd be happy to send it in exchange for cold cream (for example) in the future!:)

I'm interested!

Lillemor

One Too Many
ShoreRoadLady said:
Lillemor, have you tried Burt's Bees regular lip balm? It's natural, and I use it obsessively. I can't stand Vaseline on my lips, either.

If you keep with the Vaseline, maybe you could try getting a little makeup container with a snap-open top and put some it in there, to make it easier to open?

I'll see if I can find it around here or I'll make my dad bring some with him when he (hopefully) comes to visit in Fall, thanks.

I've just bought my first red lipstick and nailpolish in over a decade! Pray for me! Pray that it compliments my skintone. It's just cheap Gosh 60 Lambada in both the lipstick and nailpolish to test if I like it or not. If this becomes addictive, I'll make the trek into Århus and find a good, red, MAC.

I would've preferred to test red in a cheap brand like Rimmel but they don't carry red these days. Actually, they never seem to carry the entire color collections at any one Matas:(

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I always wear something on my lips, it's usually red lipstick but at the very least it's a nude gloss. I feel really unfinished without it [huh]

xx

MattJH

One Too Many
The general consensus among the younger generations is that lipstick is for actresses and grandmothers. It's definitely viewed as being a makeup accessory of past generations.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I get the most nasty looks from middle aged to early third aged women. Younger people just look amused and some even smile at me. Ladies over 70 always smile if they notice. They don't usually think it's as strange to wear lipstick as women under 70 do.

There's one local woman in particular, whom I'm guessing to be in her 40s who seems to be particularly upset by my lipstick. She's seen me in GOSH Lambada 60 which is bright red, then MAC Vivacious which is bright pink and today I intend to offend her with a vision of bright, goldspun, corallol

Kishtu

Practically Family
Currently lurking in the bottom of my bag(purse) I have no less than five lipsticks in various shades. So I guess from this quarter that's a "no", in fact I probably wear it more than I ever did....

Have to agree with other ladies that one is not "dressed" without one's lippy. Sometimes I don't get dressed up - today I'm bare-faced, and am feeling distinctly ragged ;)

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
I have easily two dozen lipsticks, and I'm in my mid-20s, but I think I'm the exception rather than the rule. Having two 16-year-old cousins, I can definitely agree that the sweet-glittery-goo-in-a-squeeze-tube is popular among their crowd, something I personally don't understand. I think that stuff feels so heavy and gloppy that I don't know how anyone can stand to wear it. Why not just slather your lips with honey? [huh]

Anyway, my current lipstick of choice is Rimmel's Scream 076. It's a smidge darker than what I'd consider a "true red", and it's more of a bluish-toned red than an orangey one. I bought it on impulse, really, and it sat in the bottom of my purse for a long time. Then, I gave it a whirl with an almost bare eye and wow! I really liked it!

As far as the real question, is lipstick on it's way out, I'd say no. Maybe going through an evolution like so many things in fashion, but give it a little time and it'll again be a can't-live-without item.

As an aside, I recall reading something not too long ago about women in Iraq wearing makeup underneath their hijab, including lipstick. I thought it was fascinating.

Oh! And I definitely will trade you cold cream for that lip balm, cherrylips. :D

Rosie

One Too Many
Lillemor said:
I get the most nasty looks from middle aged to early third aged women. Younger people just look amused and some even smile at me. Ladies over 70 always smile if they notice. They don't usually think it's as strange to wear lipstick as women under 70 do.

There's one local woman in particular, whom I'm guessing to be in her 40s who seems to be particularly upset by my lipstick. She's seen me in GOSH Lambada 60 which is bright red, then MAC Vivacious which is bright pink and today I intend to offend her with a vision of bright, goldspun, corallol

I find this hilarious lol.

I've been much less vintage lately for a variety of reasons and noticed, I'm not wearing lipstick as much as I did when I dressed vintage mostly. Didn't think about it until I saw this thread.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Lillemor said:

omg .. Haha, you're too funny!! I can just imagine you thinking 'hmm, which lipstick shall I offend her with today'. lol

Lillemor

One Too Many
Darhling said:
omg .. Haha, you're too funny!! I can just imagine you thinking 'hmm, which lipstick shall I offend her with today'. lol

People like that lady just need to be handled with a friendly look and a smile. Their reaction says more about them:) I wear lipstick if I please and whatever shade I feel like wearing no matter how much it may hurt some people's eyes. I really don't think too much about it but this thread reminded me of her. I mean, I can't really miss her since I always run into her at the same time every evening when I'm out walking and I won't be childdish about it and change my route. On occasion I've been known to match my lipstick to my hose.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Lillemor said:
People like that lady just need to be handled with a friendly look and a smile. Their reaction says more about them:) I wear lipstick if I please and whatever shade I feel like wearing no matter how much it may hurt some people's eyes. I really don't think too much about it but this thread reminded me of her. I mean, I can't really miss her since I always run into her at the same time every evening when I'm out walking and I won't be childdish about it and change my route. On occasion I've been known to match my lipstick to my hose.

I agree with everything! Well said!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, of course...

Dumbjaw said:
The general consensus among the younger generations is that lipstick is for actresses and grandmothers. It's definitely viewed as being a makeup accessory of past generations.

That is why we like it.

I think this whole discussion is really silly considering this is a VINTAGE STYLE FORUM!

Who cares what is in fashion? We have style instead!

I also would never leave the house without my red lipstick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany