Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is more than one A2 being a bit excessive?

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
I think 2 A2 jackets is a good number. I'd like to get a seal one, that way I'd have 1russet, 1seal. I'd maybe patch one, and leave the other plain. Perfect

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Once upon a time I would wear an A2 every day, repro for work and everyday wear and an original most nights to Rock n Roll, hep cat nights out.
In the early 1980s you could go to a 1940s-50s event and there was hardly an A2 to be seen. Now they are everywhere. Had a few in my time but now just down to an original that is rather tight and an Eastman that needs re-cuffing. I doubt I will buy any more as I am into civvy jackets now, just wish I still had the figure to carry the look off better.
Still a great design though.
J

Marv

A-List Customer
I currently own 4 A2s ( 1GW, 2ELC, 1Cooper) and 4 M422a\G1s but ideally I would like get down to just one A2 and one G1 that way they would get plenty of wear but as previously mentioned, it's not that easy but each to their own.

Have as many or as little as you like I would say.......:D

simonc

Practically Family
I think there are so many types of jackets to own, bike jackets for example, I don't like limitation on any thing; its an illness and must be nurtured, afterall how far can too far go, really?

Stand By

One Too Many
Hello Otter
Nice idea ! Where'd I get one of those please?
The A2 I have in mind is an Aero in the sale section - and it appears to have had a name stenciled in the liner - so that'd fix that nicely!
Thanks!

Otter

One Too Many
I first saw it done with a hump jacket that Aero had made for someone. I assumed it was a replica silk map as well and spent ages searching to find a repro, turned out it was amn original. there was an aciation antiques place in the USA selling them for about $35 but I got mine on Ebay for £10, no-one else wanted it. If you search on ebay using silk map or silk chart you should get some very interesting results, just be patient until the one you want appears.

Stand By

One Too Many
Thank you all for the opinions - each one very interesting and very much appreciated - as well as the unanimous vote of confidence (I should have known!! Glad I'm not the only one like this!). The Yeah's have it! :)
This is a hobby after all and one to be worn - and as Jeff M says, we could easily be spending our money in a clandestine fashion on other nefarious "things" ...!

I'd thought about getting a B-10 or B-15 instead - but IMHO I always feel that a cloth jacket can only look somewhat shabby after 10 years or so whereas a leather jacket will only look better and better ... so I keep coming back to the A2.
So by the sounds of it, I'd better start saving - and hunting down the patches ....!!! :)
Thank you all - I'm very encouraged by the kind responses - and can confess to be glad to not be lying down to let the feeling pass after all ....

I've seen some really nice original blood chits (in leather) with a 48-star US flag and they're reasonably priced and I'm tempted to add one - but I wonder about putting a large original like that on the back panel - purely as it's a piece of history after all.
Has anyone seen any really good repro's that would do just as nicely? If you have, I'd love to be pointed in the right direction ... Thanks !

wild_balls

Practically Family
Got four a2's at the moment 1 Aero, 2 real mccoy, 1 Buzz rickson! I always end up wearing just two of them, so 2 A2' seems like a good choice if you use them for wearing!

Cheers Joakim

Ps. The Buzz rickson might soon appear on Ebay!

D

Deleted member 16736

Some think having one A-2 is being excessive.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Welp... I've currently got about five:

Junk "RedTails" jacket from the old lady. Probably Goat
80's Avirex HH Civvy model
Distressed Cow from U.S. Wings
Black Excelled junk coat.
Black HH from U.S. Authentic.

I don't count the Schott G-1/A-2 Hybrid.

I'm going to get rid of all but coat from the ole lady, the vintage Avierx and the Blach HH from U.S. Authentic. I think I'm about done for this particular model.

Worf

Plumbline

One Too Many
You can NEVER have too many leather jackets ( just like there's no such thing as a keeper !) .... but you do have to draw the line somewhere so I'd say two IDENTICAL A-2's would be too much :)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can NEVER have too many leather jackets ( just like there's no such thing as a keeper !) .... but you do have to draw the line somewhere so I'd say two IDENTICAL A-2's would be too much :)

I agree two identical A-2s would be too much, but as there are not two 100% identical A2s in the world it's all theoretical anyway! ;)

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Now having two original A-2s, I can see why people would want more than two as there are so many variations.

As Andrew said, "...there are not two 100% identical A2s in the world...". The differences in color and stitching between the manufacturers can be striking.

John

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Quite so, and within the same contract the leather itself is never identical, although often similar when the its is from the same batch.

Stand By

One Too Many
THANK YOU ALL - for your many replies and admitting just how much we're all addicted to these jackets! It's been so good (and surprising!) to read of how many of us have more than one A2 ... thanks for taking the time to respond - I appreciate it!

So as a result, I've been trawling the web for CBI patches - it's fascinating to see the variety of the originals - and looking to see what appeals to me.
And I'm even entertaining the notion of going with repro leather patches and maybe a blood chit for the back panel ... but they have to be superb if they're repro. The hunt is truly on ... not that my girlfriend knows yet. There's nothing to confess yet .... ;-)
Thanks guys!

I have 3, one with "nose art" style custom painting on the back, one very distressed gift from my wife when we were dating, & a newish, un-weathered dark goat for dressier wear.
Anything worth doing is worth overdoing....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24