Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the vintage crowd the curmudgeon crowd?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Have we become the early bird dinner crowd that is expected to leave before the real guests that like to party show up?

I'm on the phone with a friend of mine in New York and he's complaining that the retro club he just left closed at midnight. Now midnight in New York to me is usually my second hour into the night.

So what are you like? You go out to dress up? Have fun? Hang out?

Do you go out to see the vintage crowd because you think they are the clean cut crowd that likes what you like, or are you out to be on the town dressed well ready to party?

I'll ad more in a sec.

You can't seem to go anywhere that has a dinner and a show that lasts later into the night. The Stork Club, El Morocco.

Let's put it this way: by my standards, a night of wild partying is a couple John Barry CD's and half a bottle of Mike's Hard Lemonade on a Friday or Saturday night--darn rare, though, as I'm frequently burning the midnight oil as the server logs of my time logged-in here alone would attest.

Have I just out-squared the "squares"?lol

----------------
Now playing: John Williams - The Battle Of Endor I
via FoxyTunes

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I realize that there are people who start their evening at 10:00 and go into the wee hours, but I always wonder what are they doing from 5-10PM. That's five hours!

I know it is an age thing. I remember when I was first married, my wife and would call my folks at 7:00 to see if they wanted to go to dinner, forgetting they usually ate around six.

I used to never go to bed before midnight. Since having kids, that has changed. Early to bed, early to rise, may not make me healthy, wealthy or wise.....but it allows me to have a good relationship with my kids AND have a life.

Besides, staying up late and being burnt out the next day is over rated.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I remember in my 20's sleeping all day on Saturdays and Sundays just to be able to go out all night on Friday and Saturdays till 6am!!! what A waste of time and a waste of money! but then youth is wasted on the Young!

Now my weekend days are filled with, Breakfast parties, Morning coffee parties; Art galleries, Antique Markets, Matinee Movie sessions, lunch Parties, Afternoon tea parties, cocktail parties, Dinner parties. supper parties..

And I'm safely tucked up in bed to listen to the midnight news on the Wireless. and up to greet the dawn with a pot of Earl Grey Tea!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I assure you, I am nearly entirely nocturnal by nature, (Note the tottering off to bed at five am...) but that doesn't affect my natural curmudgeonliness at all! lol

Staying up late to complain about the people today and how they dress, that's where it's at. :D

donCarlos

Practically Family
Yesterday was one of the rare occassions when I left the house after 8pm.

I have a rule - When I don´t have a plan for the evening before 6pm, I stay home, nearly no exceptions. And I hardly ever stay longer than till 2am, just because I need my eight hours of sleep. Plus, it´s really getting quite expensive :) Plus, I´m working on weekends.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
BinkieBaumont said:
I remember in my 20's sleeping all day on Saturdays and Sundays just to be able to go out all night on Friday and Saturdays till 6am!!! what A waste of time and a waste of money! but then youth is wasted on the Young!

Now my weekend days are filled with, Breakfast parties, Morning coffee parties; Art galleries, Antique Markets, Matinee Movie sessions, lunch Parties, Afternoon tea parties, cocktail parties, Dinner parties. supper parties..

And I'm safely tucked up in bed to listen to the midnight news on the Wireless. and up to greet the dawn with a pot of Earl Grey Tea!

You Aussies Interesting... We have all that rolled into one at art Galleries that open at 11:00PM in downtown LA. Cocktails food and all. Got caught up in the traffic leaving one last weekend.

Speaking strictly for vintage events... Where are the current night owls that are in the vintage crowd to go when their events shut down at midnight?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Matt Deckard said:
You Aussies Interesting... We have all that rolled into one at art Galleries that open at 11:00PM in downtown LA. Cocktails food and all. Got caught up in the traffic leaving one last weekend.

Our clubs are open till 6-am, but one can only spread ones self so far, you can't burn the candle at both ends, and I no longer want to be a creature of the night

HungaryTom

One Too Many
No comment...

HalloweenP1120731.jpg

HalloweenP1120733.jpg

The Pix were taken early morning 3-4 AM or so...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Part of my job is to make sure that people who like to have fun don't get out of line: we serve alcohol in the balcony during concerts, and I've had to chuck out obstreperous partiers, fake ID kids, and just plain drunks on more than a few occasions.

You might say I'm a professional curmudgienne --when I glare at an inebriated customer over the top of my glasses, they know to settle down or else. It's all about psychology: even the rowdiest rowdy has a deep-seated fear of some stern first-grade teacher they had, or a harsh grandmother or mean old neighbor lady, and I deliberatly evoke that when I approach them. And it's never failed me yet!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Vintage or no vintage, I have to be at work at 8 am. I had tons of fun when I was staying out late dancing three nights a week, but got tired of going to work tired and bleary-eyed.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm only 21, so even when I have to go to work at 9 AM the next day, I'll still be out till the wee hours. Call it stamina, call it stupidity -- I might as well enjoy it while it lasts!

I've never been to a vintage club, but I'm sure it would be a different experience than my usual nights out. I very rarely wear heels when I go out with friends because I like to dance and don't want my feet to start aching! If I were dressed to the nines in vintage I know for sure I would have a much tamer night, in order to preserve my lovely get-up and not spill any drinks on myself!

If I were to go to a vintage club it would be an experience I'd probably want to remember the next morning. ;)

clubwitsend

Practically Family
I would say some of it has to do with venues as well...I know our club, Wit's End, has to be from 7-11 because the venue has a late night (after 11pm) crowd of bottle service people who come in (and make the bar a lot of money), and we have to be out before that...and some grand venues that host vintage events have earlier closing times (ie- the Montauk Club in Brooklyn where Dances of Vice is held)...we were lucky to find a venue that is more of an afterhours spot so that we could come in and take the early slot till 11pm on a Saturday night without issue!

I have to say, I've been enjoying earlier nights lately...I'm only 28, though...and I do go out late some nights. My weekdays of closing down bars and showing up to work the next morning are probably over, though...haha.

But I think the venues/spaces have a lot more to do with it than people being curmudgeons...I'd love to have my club run later if we were able!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My body clock is weird. Maybe it's my low thyroid, but I don't really hit my stride till pretty late, like after 9 PM, but I don't last that long. I basically turn into a pumpkin by 1 AM. So I try to be heading home by midnight. And I'd have to say the unforgivingness of my body clock is age related. I mean 62 is no spring chicken.

Inky

One Too Many
In my 20's I could stay up all night and work the next day and managed an outstanding 20 year banking career, but by the time the end of those 20 year was rolling around, I had to be in bed by at least 11 at the latest to get up. Now that I am almost 49, I wake up at 5:30 or 6:00 to start work and my body clock is used to going to bed by 10 or 11.

On the weekend when we go dancing, the few swing events/venues are done by 11 p.m. Ah, rural living, we don't even have sidewalks to roll up!!

I don't miss staying up all night though, must be the aging thing lol

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I just turned 40. :( The phrase "too old for this crap" has become a standard answer for anything the past few years. I struggle to stay up past 10pm, but am up before 5am whether I'm working or not. A good Saturday night for me would be sitting on the porch, lighting a pipe, and drinking an irish coffee. Yeah I know ... boring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay